Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 04:39:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resolved: GAH! Installation Aggravation Situation!  (Read 2697 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Britpoptarts

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:05:18 am »

So I finally got a laptop capable of handling the Sims 2. So I try to install Sims 2 Holiday Pack and meet with abject failure.

I wrote EA Support on the old laptop that is currently connected to the Internet. My new laptop, which I'd like to install The Sims 2 on, is not (yet) connected. The "brain transplant" is scheduled for Monday.

I have tried for five hours to install Sims 2 Holiday Edition (the base game + holiday-themed goodies) onto a brand new laptop that has never had anything else beyond factory standard programs installed, has never been connected online, has never had spyware / viruses, which is completely Disk Cleaned and Defragged, and which surpasses the requirements to run the game.

The diagnostic is on the other machine (which means EA Support will likely blow off my question repeatedly) but I copied the pertinent information here:

Computer is an XP professional service pack 2, build 2600
Sys Memory is 1023.1
Processor Speed is 1995.0
Dix X version is 9.0c
Display Device NVIDIA GForce Go 7600 GT *** when running diag, it didn't know if this was compatible
Display Mem 256.0
Display Driv 6.14.10.8457 *** ditto above note
Sound SigmaTel Audio
Sound Driver 1.0.5010.0 nd455 cpl *** ditto above note

Does anyone know if the *** starred items are known problems?

Edited to add: Space is not an issue. There's about 195 G free. It's a top of the line machine. I have to use this thing for grad school and consulting, too, so I went for broke. Literally. I am eatin' ramen and drinkin' tap water for the next few years. But I digress.

What happens: I put in Disk 1, enter my code as asked, tell EA I'll wait to see if I can actually play the damn game without issues before I register my serial number (last time I jumped the gun, I couldn't register the game that worked because the non-working game number was already in their files and I couldn't fix that). Disk 1 loads, begs for Disk 2. I insert Disk 2. My install stalls at 23%, shortly after I insert Disk 2. I checked the disk, it is clean and fingerprint- and scratch-free. I checked processes running and eliminated all I was asked to end process on: I left explorer and taskmg alone.

Lather, rinse, repeat. For FIVE hours. I run diagnostics. I scrape Sims 2 off the machine and start from scratch. I re-defrag (you can imagine the time that takes with a drive this size, even though it's practically barren so far). I run disk clean-up. All is well as far as I can tell computer-wise.

I can't tell if Sims 2 Disk 2 is refusing to be read at all (I can "open" and "explore" via menu and it definitely has stuff on it) or if it starts reading and then just sits there. I tried to move on to Disk 3, wondering if it just didn't tello me it wanted Disk 3. That, of course, didn't work. I didn't think it would.

And here we are. I had all EPs of Sims 1, so I am familiar with the tricksy nature of Sims installs and familiar with dealing with EA products. I have the migraines and callouses on my forehead from thumping my head about in frustration against walls and desks. I remember the aggravation involved. HOWEVER, it was never this bad. It would at least GO ON MY MACHINE. Ugh!

I don't know what else to do. I had to wait until I had a good excuse to buy a newer machine running XP, and the first "toys" I get myself are Sims 2 games, and I can't even load the base game. I was smart enough not to open all the packs immediately, but dumb enough to get them from Amazon, which means I will have to wait two or three weeks more to play the damn game if I can't figure out what the issue is or if it is a faulty disk. How can you tell?!

I am disappointed, and after mucking about with it for hours (I even tried changing the drive name from F: to D:, for Pete's sake!), I'm tired and let down and frustrated and need help. :smt120:

Is there some program I should have that wasn't mentioned? I noticed compressed files and I don't know if WINzip or WINrar are on my new computer, but nowhere does it mention that they are required to install the game. What's going on? Please help. :bawl:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 09:49:54 pm by Squinge » Logged
discowhipped

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:41:05 am »

Where did you buy the game from? It may be a faulty disc? The same thing happened to me accept the game was installed but it wouldn't run for some reason my hard drive wasn't reading the disc try another disc maybe? Not sims related to see if it is your computer or whether it is the game?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:47:13 am by discowhipped » Logged

"It's not everyday that you discover you're trapped in a pixel world."
Suddenly Simmerised - Read it!
Previously known as: Squirt
Britpoptarts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 02:58:51 pm »

Finally found the "install by hand" option on the EA site. I copied the disks into a folder and then subfolders and it finally installed properly. Now to tackle University and Nightlife. Oy!

Sorry to sound the alarm and then fix it myself, but I appreciate the help I know I would have gotten. Smiley
Britpoptarts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 03:03:05 pm »

I think I mentioned I'd bought the game and expax from Amazon in my original post; if not, I apologize for omitting that detail.

There may well be a problem with Disk 2, but the game ran fine for me today so all is forgiven, EA / Maxis. It's weird playing a game totally vanilla with no hacks or mods. I even had a Sim die on me (horrors!) which never happened before. I didn't save. I'm a big softy. Smiley

Anyway: problem with Sims 2 Holiday Edition resolved; hoping for good luck with Uni and NLife now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: