Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 12:17:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help - rar files no longer an option - now e-attachments  (Read 5286 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Venbury

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2007, 08:09:38 pm »

Two days ago I changed my internet connection from the phone line to DSL 1.5 speed.  Wow, what an amazing difference!  The problem I am experiencing is that a fairly large percentage of the downloads (not all) are not giving me the option to download as winrar files but as e-attachments.  I have read the post from Beosboxboy on trouble shooting this but it doesn't really address the issue I am having.  I don't have any problem unzipping rar files but I can't get the majority of the downloads to come over as rar files now.  I have tried typing over the file names and extension but the system won't let me.  I am unable to unzip the e-attachhments that are being saved in my downloads folder.  When I click on them they direct me back to the sight I loaded them from.  Can anyone help?Huh?Huh???

:blob6:

Thanks,
Ven
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:47:11 pm »

What web browser are you using?

If you have a question about my mods post it here
Rogue777

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

Kim thinks Venbury has a download accelerator that needs to be disabled. I'm inclined to agree with that.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:10:21 pm »

ok - after looking around on line for a similar bug report involving RAR files and e-attachments - I only founf a bunch of crap relating to ancient Mac software that has nothing to do with modern stuff.

So I am inclined to agree that something is out of sorts here.  If you are using AOL's or a similar service's intergrated browser to surf, then I recommend you disable the download accelerator (if possible) or minimize the window and use an alternate browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Opera.  If the problem persists - then it is probably a sign that the DSL software is intercepting your clicks (never a good thing) and invoking a download accelerator without your knowledge.  You may have to contact the tech support of your DSL provider to find out how to disable this feature.

I tested the site with several browsers and ISPs in the past couple of hours on both Mac and PC and was able to download all of the links I clicked without issue.  So obviously it is a problem specific to your ISP or browser set-up.  I did not try AOL or any of the other weirdo services (yes I know lots of people use AOL, but lots of people also use too much salt on their food, neither in my estimation offer any benefit).

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Venbury

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:46:54 pm »

I have Qwest DSL which uses MSN.    I called their tech support line and they said they do not have a funny business going on.  THey have never heard of this problem.  I asked them how to disable a download accelerater or how to check if this is an issue.  Basically, they are clueless.  
I too, am clueless.  I am not computer literate, so if anyone can tell me how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.  
By the way, I tried to donate last week and couldn't get pay pal to work.  I will be donating as I've decided I've taken entirely too much free stuff.  My game is much better now thanks to you creators.  I will be making a donation!  If I don't get paypal working I will try and get an address to mail a donation to.

Thanks,
Ven
Venbury

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:19:15 pm »

Here's a little more information .... if it helps.

Just got off the phone with Qwest and they ensure me it has nothing to do with them.

I went to the Insimadult site and tried to download Warlocks 34DD body shape and mesh.  I had this in my game prior but recently did a bit of house cleaning and must have accidently deleted part of it because when my sim gets in the shower her body disappears.  

Anyway, I tried to download the 34DD body.  When I click on it to download it says I will be downloading  an "attachment.html".  It gives me 3 choices, save now, open with internet explorer or download later.  When I select save now, it saves an e-attachment to the downloads directory, which I am unable to use.  If I say open, it opens up another web page with the same download I am already trying to save.  If I try to do something from the file saved in the download directory, I am directed back to the web site.

I then tested this on a download on this Insiminator site.  I tried it on "Is he Mr Right?  Meet Kofi" which was posted today under Sim Hunks bu Ilikiefishfood.  In this case, the initial message I get when trying to download is that I am going to download an "attachment.rar" file verses an "attachment.html" file.  Needless to say, things worked on on this download because my choices were to save now, which saved to my downloads directory as a rar file (which I could then extract) or I could open with rar or download later.

It seems all the files I have tried on the adult site have been a problem.  On the Insiminator site it's hit and miss.  For hair meshes downloaded from XM Sims site today I did not have a problem.

If it's a download issue, wouldn't this happen with all downloads on all sites?
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:27:50 pm »

From what you just said, you are right clicking the link to download.  If the .zip or .rar file come up, you can just save as you are now.  If an html page or .php link is indicated, rather than saving it, left click the link and it will download the compressed file.
Venbury

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 12:01:41 am »

Actually, I thought I had tried both options but just in case, I went back and tested again.  Right clicking gives me a pop up menu to open, open in a new window, save target as, or download later.  If I select save target as... it only alows me the htm option, which  as explained above get me no where.

If I Left click this takes me to the MSN download screen, which is where I get the options to download an htm attachment as well.

Any other ideas?
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 12:06:11 am »

Which link are you trying?  It is possible there's a broken link.
Venbury

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 12:22:25 am »

The same problem has occurred on every link I have tried today on Insimadult, which has been over a dozen or two.  I wasn't really trying to download a dozen items but when I had the issue, I started trying other objects and meshes and encounterd the same problem.  Then I came over to Insiminator and downloaded a few items without issue for the most part.  I think there were a couple of items that did encounter the same problem but I couldn't say which items those were as I've been going at this all day.:sad4:
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 12:39:24 am »

I'd say it's not a problem of broken links then (I doubted it was anyway Cheesy).  I have to agree with Yakov.  Give Firefox or Opera a try.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 01:03:07 am »

Venbury - If you are using MSN browser - stop - try using IE once you have connected.  The MSN browser is just complete crap and has a variety of proplems with all manner of dynamic web sites (dynamic web sites are a sort that create pages based on the things you click, like a forum) - I have seen instances where MSN would simply not have a clue what to do with a PHP website..

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
Venbury

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 01:20:01 am »

Thanks for all your help everyone!  I took your advice as I am sick of troubleshooting this.  Instead of going through msn, I used the IE option and everything was back to normal.  I use to go through net zero on my phone line with no problems other than it took 45 minutes to downlad a 4mg file.  Since I switched to DSL Qwest, which is through MSN, I moved my mail there as well.  I guess I won't be able to do everything from one location through MSN.

Again, thanks so much for your help!
Ven
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 01:34:26 am »

glad to hear it is "sorta" resolved.  You can still use the MSN broswer for email and such - just don't trust it to be the best web browser for surfing and downloading.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: