Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:47:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detect packages that were created with the old version of Pets EP Body Shop  (Read 11810 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
albmont

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 08:14:49 pm »

Quote from: PiperK1980;598261
I'm pretty sure they were in my Downloads folder. I wasn't able to get it to work right. I'm not computer illiterate by any means, but this program is a bit advanced for my knowledge. I was able to fix the items, but I had to start the game in debug, and make a new sim. When I flipped through the catalog, it displayed the files names of the items needed to be fixed (it did that with all items). I wrote them down and manually did it in SimPE. I have no naked bodies, but I do have a few items that shows the female/male adult defaults in just outfits, tops and bottoms. I'm assuming I'm missing a mesh or recolor. I know who there from, just don't know which outfits they are so I can redownload them. I should just delete them. I have 13,000+ some in my dnld folder. WOW!!!

I am not sure what's your problem. Did you re-run the R script? I have c. 7500 files, and it takes about 5 minutes just to count them! But the script runs in almost the same time; it should scan your Downloads folder in 10 minutes.
JCSpencer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 08:04:33 pm »

I need an aspirin.

Join the Animal Army ... your site just might depend on it!
...- Admiral Anemone, Animal Army Naval Division
albmont

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:10 pm »

Quote from: beosboxboy;565063

But all kidding aside, a GUI would make this easier for the average Sim player (keep in mind most are 14-15 year old girls according to EA/Maxis)

After a looong time, I started recoding my R sims2 scripts to use a GUI. But I will place them, with examples (aka manual, but nobody rtms) in the Adult site - the examples start by taking up a nude model and adding clothes.
BBoom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 07:16:45 am »

Hi Albmont, Thanks for this great little utility. However, I would like to let you know that what  beosboxboy stated is quite right. Most gamers are so used to GUI format that they have a hard time trying to use a command line and deal with non-gui applications. Considering how complex SimPE is - despite the GUI- one could easily assume that if a user is able to tinker with SimPE, he or she could easily handle R as per your instructions. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Therefore, I highly recommend that you provide a GUI interface of your application along with a PDF or Text downloadable version of the source and instructions. Your application is awesome and deserves to be recognized and used by Sims 2 gamers. Thank you so much for your contribution and, please, don't feel offended! Those of us who are technically inclined tend to forget that a large majority of the population is not and may not easily understand computer jargon and coding. I know this for a fact since I am also an instructor and have had to "learn" to be "less technical" when dealing with my students. That said, keep up the great work you are doing creating useful and badly needed utilities for our community. I'll gladly help you within my capabilities, if you need someone to create the documentation. I wish I had your talent in coding, but I can assist you in other areas.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:38:31 am by BBoom » Logged
Xordaii

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:40 am »

Personally, yes, I have programming experience, and even enjoy programming assembly.

That aside, I have been using Linux a lot longer than I have been programming, about when I got married was my first experience in it, 15 years ago. Our kids could probably use this code with a little prompting. I think it has to do with what you are experienced with and used to, and how willing you are to learn something new. I tell everyone Linux isn't too hard, nor are command lines, my kids figured it out between 3 and 5 years old.  If kiddies can, you can.  If you read other posts by me, you know we all have learning problems, too.

Linux users are a lot more likely to use something that has to be run at the prompt.  Anyone who has experience with command line programs (Windows has these, too) will be willing to try it. I agree the average user won't, but it isn't like this is rocket science either. I think your instructions were very clear (even for inexperienced people, because I have never used R or S, and was completely lost.)  I think your programming has a certain elegance, too, with straightforward results and easy to figure out what you need to solve.  You even provided links to information on how to fix the files found.

Personally, I think if someone wants a GUI badly enough, they will either find a friend to write one for them and link to it here, as happens in Open Source a lot, especially if you give permission, or they will learn to use the scripts.  GREAT JOB! Don't let complaints make you feel bad.  The job you set out to code, you coded, and did beautifully. Cheesy  Two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:46:43 am by Xordaii » Logged
albmont

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:52 pm »

It's a long time since I got any reply for this - and I still plan to add a GUI. But I keep postponing this project...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: