Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 04:09:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims 2 on Windows Vista (Updated 7 Feb 2007)  (Read 44229 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:41:05 am »

The following is quoted from EA Tech Support: http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=281

Thinking about upgrading to Windows Vista or getting a new Vista machine? We've been extensively testing Vista with a wide range of hardware and came up with this handy guide.

HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY:
Q: Is The Sims 2 compatible with Windows Vista?
A: Yes! The Sims 2 and its expansion packs run well on Windows Vista. If there is a problem, it's mostly likely due to the Vista support of your graphics card. (See more details below).

Q: Will my computer be capable of running The Sims 2 on Windows Vista?
A: The required hardware for The Sims 2 on Vista is a 1.3GHz processor with 512MB of memory. The extra memory is needed is because 512MB is required for a Windows Vista Capable machine. Since Vista does use up more processor power, game performance will not be as good as on an equivalent XP machine.

Q: Ok, I've got that. What about my graphics card?
A: This is where it gets tricky. Because of new graphical features, Vista requires a DirectX9 capable graphics card. Here's a rough guide of graphics card capability:

Best cards:
These cards will fully support DirectX 9 and should provide the best The Sims 2(and Vista) experience

• ATI Radeon 9800 and above. (9800, X550, X600, X700, X800, X850, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950)
  • NVidia 6000 series and above. (6600, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950, 8800)

OK cards:
These are early DirectX 9 cards and budget cards that may not support all The Sims 2 graphical features.

• ATI Radeon 9600, 9700, X300, X1300
  • NVidia 6200, 7100

Unsupported cards in Vista:
These cards aren't DirectX 9 compatible and may actually work fine, but are not Vista capable. As a result, graphics card manufacturers are unlikely to support Vista driver updates for these cards.

• NVidia FX5000 series (FX5200, FX5600, FX5900, FX5950) and earlier (GeForce 3, GeForce 2)
  • ATI Radeon 9500 and earlier, including 7000 and 8000 series

Q: Hey, I've got the right graphics card! I should be all set, right?
A: Unfortunately, there are still a few things to watch out for. Because Windows Vista was just released, a lot of the Vista drivers are still evolving toward stability and performance. You may see some problems with early versions of graphics drivers. Windows Update should automatically keep you up to date with driver updates, but it may be worth checking with your graphics card manufacturer for updated drivers if you are having problems.

KNOWN ISSUES WITH VISTA DRIVERS:

nVidia Geforce Series
   Problem: Stuttering sound during gameplay and lower frame rate and problems showing rain
Cards: Most Geforce cards

Please check for the latest drivers. NVidia is actively working on this issue.
Problem: Sims, plumbob sim indicators, and other various objects appear corrupt in both the neighborhood and lot screens on Windows Vista
Cards: Geforce 7300

ATI Radeon Series
   Problem: Gameplay does not meet the 15fps minimum requirement. Setting details to low and off allows an average frame rate of 24fps.
Cards: Radeon 9550XL
Please check for updated drivers. In the meantime, adjust your graphics details to improve your framerate.

Intel Extreme Graphics Series
   Problem: Ground tiles flicker when panning or zooming the camera around and occurs more frequently with snow accumulation as well as blocky graphics for trees.
Cards: Graphics Media Accelerator 900, 950, X3000, Mobile 945GM (GMA 950)

S3 Chrome Series
   Problem: Clothing textures on Sims will randomly disappear and reappear showing incorrect textures. Trees do not appear in neighborhood view.
Cards: S3 Chrome S27

Problem: Mouse cursor is invisible, but only flickers briefly when user stops moving it.
Cards: S3 Chrome S27, GammaChrome S18 Pro and Ultra

Problem: Trees are not present in the neighborhood screen, however tree shadows are visible.
Cards: S3 Chrome S27

Problem: The fruit trees have large blocky spikes that appear on them when snow accumulates and framerate is slow.
Cards: S3 GammaChrome S18

Again, if you experiencing any of these issues, please check with your graphics card manufacturer for the latest drivers.

OTHER TOPICS:

Q: Can The Sims 2 run under a Standard User account?
A: Yes. Although you need to have administrative privileges to install the game, you can run the game as a limited user. There are a few things to watch out for when installing and running the game.

• Autorun: When you are logged in as a Standard User and you insert the game disc, you will be asked for Administrator privileges. If you are installing the game, you should enter the password and continue, because you need Administrator privileges to install. If you want to run the game, you should cancel and run the game from the Start Menu (Start > Programs > The Sims 2 Seasons > The Sims 2 Seasons).
  • When launching the game, always use the Start Menu, desktop shortcut, or Game Explorer so that you saved games are saved in your Standard User profile. If you run the game with Administrator privileges, then your Administrator profile will be used for saved games.
  • The Sims 2 Seasons will only appear in the Game Explorer for the account that you installed with, which is your Administrator account. You have to add a new shortcut for your Standard User account for it to appear when running as a Standard User.

Q: Can The Sims 2 be uninstalled for all users?
A: Yes. Although you need to have administrative privileges to uninstall, the game does uninstall for all accounts, including the Start Menu and Desktop Icons. Uninstalling will automatically delete the administrator's save files. The save files for the Standard User folder, and any other users that play the game, will need to be manually deleted from each account.

Please reply in this thread only if you currently have Windows Vista installed and have on-topic commentary.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:22:58 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:15:40 pm »

I just tried the game with the 64bit version of Windows Vista & it works fine without using the compatibilty mode; If you have just the base game installed windows will warn you about a compatibility problem to fix it just patch the game with the patch on the TS2 website.

If you have a question about my mods post it here
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:23:21 pm »

That is great news, Squinge. Thanks for trying it out.  Hopefully this will be a smoother transition than Windows ME ... but then again, most anything would be :lol:

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
Pilotpigen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 09:18:28 am »

I just can't seem to make my game work with Vista Sad I think I have tried almost everything. It begin loading the game, but then it stop.... Bodyshop is working without any problems.
Maybe I'm just ignorant - but if any of you have any ideas on how I make it work I would be very happy!
I have an Acer Athlon 64 X2 4200+. My graphic card is a 512MB GeForce 7300SE Turbocache.

Visit SYNAPTIC SIM'S LAIR

WANT ANY OF MY CREATIONS? FIND THEM IN THE LAIR

I AM NOT A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY ANYMORE - JUST GETTING MY STUFF
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:48:35 pm »

well - the 7300 is listed as a chipset with a known problem.  Have you tried changing the compatability mode?

Pilotpigen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:19:55 pm »

Yes - I have tried that one too, so I guess I just have to use my old computer for TS2 Sad Hopefully NVidia will make an update for the card... Otherwise the computer was a waste of money! I actually brought it becourse my old one was 4years and I hardly could play TS2 on that one.

Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:41:59 am »

Have you tried the drivers from the nvidia website? they are newer then the ones that windows update installs.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_97.46.html

Pilotpigen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 08:55:54 am »

Yes - I've tried that also... I have decided to send my computer over to my very own computer wizard. If he can't fix it I don't think anyone can! But thanks so much for the tips! Wink

FallenAngel86

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

kewl i'm about to install win vista Ultimate. but not sure whether to go 32bit or 64bit. My pc can handle both.

Vote Ron Paul For President and save America and your Rights and Liberty RonPaul2008  
In 2008 make your vote count. Vote Ron Paul.
HOPE For America.  myspace-ronpaul
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 01:07:14 am »

Nvidia is aware of driver issues with the Sims 2, according to an article that I read, and is working on a fix.
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 12:41:29 pm »

I wonder why I'm not having that problem with my nvidia card both the 32 & 64 bit versions work for me.

Pilotpigen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 05:37:28 am »

Yay! My game works fine know! There is something with the installation of the game that was a little different on my new computer - how was I supposed to know that ROFL
Looking forward to the knew driver so my graphics can get a little better! LOL

dorkapalooza

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 06:09:14 am »

So what is the diffference between 32 and 64bit.  And how do I see what video card I have...  

Thanks, Sara

Remember the famous words of Jedi Master Dennis the Menace... "Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.":swst: [/COLOR]

Have A Great Day-  Sara  [/FONT]
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 09:15:36 pm »

To use the 64 bit version of vista you need a 64-bit processor in your PC, the 64-bit version allows you to have more than 3 gigs of RAM installed & it seems to run a lot faster to me than the 32-bit version does.

You can find out which video card you have by clicking start, run then type dxdiag & click ok.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:19:50 pm by Squinge » Logged

dorkapalooza

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 12:00:35 am »

Thanks, Sorry to ask but there is no run on this vista...  my start is totally different.  Am I blind?

Remember the famous words of Jedi Master Dennis the Menace... "Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.":swst: [/COLOR]

Have A Great Day-  Sara  [/FONT]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: