Insimenator.org
April 18, 2024, 09:20:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims 2 on Windows Vista (Updated 7 Feb 2007)  (Read 44120 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 05:27:31 am »

Quote from: Katheryne;835982
FWIW, maybe this will save some people the cost of "side-grading" from 32- to 64-bit:

So, in short - if you are getting ready to upgrade to Vista, buy the version appropriate for your computer (there's no cost difference between 32- and 64-bit).  If you've already bought the 32-bit version for your 64-bit machine, just leave it.  The minimal performance increase is not worth the price of buying the 64-bit "upgrade" - unless you absolutely need to have more than 3GB of RAM.

The point is why are we all buying 64bit processors and using a 32bit OS? At some point in time 64bit software will be the norm. When? 1 year? 2 Years? Next week? I think home computer users are being used as beta testers for 64bit computing. When enough bugs are worked out it will start to become a necessary "Must Have" in order to run new software and games. Of course DVD's were supposed to replace CD's as the media of choice for software and games, and CD's are still the norm. So why all the development for 64bit processors? Why Direct X 10? It keeps evolving folks. To say it's good enough as is kills the spirit of development. MOHO of course! Smiley

Burn the midnight oil, it will be daylight soon....
Katheryne

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 11:33:35 pm »

Unfortunately, I just don't see any significant programs on the horizon that would take advantage of a 64-bit processor. By the time enough of them come out, Vista may be all but a memory.

I confess I'm old enough to remember the transition from 16-bit processors, and even from 8-bit processors. Both times, there was a significant performance gain from the next evolution.  Not so this time.  Also, there were an abundance of programs that took advantage of the new architecture that came out very quickly.  Not so this time.  Why?  Well, I wish I knew.  Maybe computers really have become "good enough". *shrug*
Megadrive

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 01:47:37 pm »

Thanks For The Info, Just Bought  A New Dual Core Intel, I'll Get Back to U on The Reinstalation Of The Sims2 On the New Computer.

Cheers

Megadrive
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:48:18 pm by Megadrive » Logged
Ramika

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 02:38:53 pm »

Oh gawd, reading all this really makes me nervous. XD I'm getting my new computer tomorrow. HP Pavilion Slimline s3050 with Intel Core 2 Duo processor E4300 (1,80 GHz), 2048 MB of RAM, and nVidia GeForce 7300LE Turbocache graphic card.
And of course, Windows Vista. Can anyone predict from the facts above... am I in for trouble? ^^;;

This whole Vista thing is seriously pissing me off, since I'm buying this computer mainly for Sims 2, and if I can't get it to run well, it will be a waste of money (waste of very much money)...
I'm considering I'll just install Windows XP if Vista turns out not worth it.
xHannaHx

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 02:44:20 pm »

vista works perfect with the sims 2 on my new laptop, but sometimes the game doesnt load, saying that it's just a blank disk. otherwise, it works perfect for me. I'm in game and on insim currently Smiley

Planning a sim wedding? In need of the perfect gown? Your search shall be no longer. Check out my set of 3 wedding gowns:love8:
Click here To get me in your game. You know you wanna :dance:
[/FONT][/SIZE]
shootingxstar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 03:32:46 am »

Ok well I cannot find out what graphics card I have. I have read so many different things which I should do to try and find it out but nothing works. Could someone please tell me in a little bit more detail how to find it out.
On the front bit of my laptop is says this
Graphic: Int. GMA 950 Gix

I dont have a clue what it means but maybe it helps...

I forgot to mention, TS2 works very well its just body shop.
Once i click on the icon a little message appears saying

Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL!
The aplication will now terminate...

Whats it mean?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:52:30 am by shootingxstar » Logged
PiperK1980

Abnormally Typical

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2007, 06:50:58 pm »

It is an Intel. I searched Intel GMA 950 Gix and it returned a page on another forum. It definately is Intel and it is your graphic card. My friend had this same problem and he just updated his graphic card and it worked. If I find the driver, I'll link you to it. What version of Vista are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit?

To find you graphics card, go to Control Panel>System. On the left side click Device Manager. When the window opens navigate to Display Adapters. Open that up and your card should be listed under there.

What type of laptop do you have? I found that Levnovo Thinkpad's come with this card.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 07:02:41 pm by PiperK1980 » Logged

Click here to join The Animal Army! It's good for what ails ya!!

X-Men Fan? Join today!
shootingxstar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 04:34:02 am »

Thank you so much!!
Ok.. How do I update my graphics card? I feel like i know nothing about my laptop.
Umm I have a Asus something rather and I have Vista Home Premium or whatever its called.
PiperK1980

Abnormally Typical

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:15 pm »

Go to Start>Run and type in 'dxdiag' (without the ''). A window will pop up. Select Display from the top and you will see this:

The black area will tell you the type of card you have while the red area tells you your driver info. You can do a search for drivers for that card. Could you post what type it is after you do this? Someone might have a similar card and can tell you where to get it or someone, including me can help search for it.

X-Men Fan? Join today!
shootingxstar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 06:56:19 am »

Ok I did that thing. Here is a screen shot of what came up.
Thank you so much for all the help you have given so far. =)

* DirectX.Diagnostic.jpg (111.13 KB, 700x509 - viewed 338 times.)
PiperK1980

Abnormally Typical

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 11:44:43 pm »

Your welcome. Here you go...

32 Bit Driver
64 Bit Driver

I don't know if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit so I included links to both. You need to find out which you have before downloading. So go to Control Panel>System (or Control Panel>System Maintance>System it just depends on the view you have set). You will see this....

The system type in the red area will tell you what you have. When you click the link to download the driver there are two files. One is a zip and the other is a exe. It doesn't matter which one.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 12:02:38 am by PiperK1980 » Logged

X-Men Fan? Join today!
Bev in NY

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2007, 11:42:36 pm »

Hi guys, 1st. of all i really screwed things up with sims 2....i can't believe i did it and it is so fustrating now to get things back to normal...2nd. i will say it ahead of time i'm a idiot...well i have vista and 2 days ago i was playing my games just fine no problems....but...and i mean but......i decided to uninstall my games to start fresh...i have all expansions and i have H&M stuff pack....i should have left things as they were and not did what i did...i also had all the patches installed too...well now i installed the original game and tried to play it and it won't let me says it's not compatible with this form of windows...and i installed the patch but it still repeats that same thing....Why was all of the games working before and now i can't do anything?Huh? can anyone help me?

BEV
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2007, 11:58:40 am »

Hello Bev, been a while since I've seen you post, was hoping you had all fixed! I know some will disagree with what I am going to say, but I have done this successfully a number of times. So here goes:

Use windows uninstaller, (remove peograms) found in control panel to remove all sims 2 games from your computer. This is a clean install! follow these procedures only if you are willing to start over from scratch! 1) after the final game is removed -the base Sims 2 - it asks if you want to save your game. Say no. 2) exit control panel, open widows explorer found in accessories. scroll down the left side panel to "Computer" click on the + sign. Then click the + sign beside "OS {C:} " . Then scroll down to "Program Files", and click the + sign. Scroll down to the file named "EA Games" Click on the file name once then hit the delete key on your keyboard. Say "continue" when it asks for conformation of the delete. Bev, are you with me so far? Smiley

Now for the tricky part. Close windows explorer and return to your DeskTop. Click start then in the window at the bottom of your start menue type: "regedit" without the quotation marks. This will open your registry editor. When you begin to do the following steps it will ask if you want to back the registry up. You should say yes, but I don't back it up for this operation myself.  Step# R-1):

click the + mark beside: HKEY_Current_User
Scroll down and click the + mark beside Software
Scroll down to the EA Games folder, click it's name once then hit the delete key on your keyboard. Confirm deletion when asked.
Close by clicking the - sign beside HKEY_Current_User

Step #R-2):
Click the + sign beside: HKEY_Locale_Machine
Scroll down and click the + mark beside Software
Scroll down to the EA Games folder,click it's name once then hit delete key on keyboard. Confirm deletion when asked.
Close by clicking the x on the editors window.

Note: In Vista removing the first entry SOMETIMES removes both. Just do both steps R-1) and R-2), If EA Games is not in the list of software in StepR-2) do not worry. If it is just follow the above instructions.

You now have a computer that is free of any bits and pieces of sims 2 information that may buger a reinstallation. I would at this point go to http://www.thesims2.com  and download (save) to your desktop a copy of each patch you need for the games you own. If you are on dial up this will suck!

Then start by putting the sims 2 on first, then run the patch for it. Go to the next EP you plan to put back on and install and run it's patch. Do this for all EP's and SP' that require a patch, FamilyFunStuff is currently the only SP that requires a patch. I would put everything I was planning on using back on the computer before starting the game. Of course you can if you want to, but this is my method!:)  You should at this point have a perfect reinstallation with all patches in place.

Be careful with hacks and other CC. Make sure they are updated for use by your game configuration. Throw the newest CEP in an Quaxi's censor remover  if you use it. The one he made for Pets seems to work well with both seasons and BV. Ask if you have any questions Bev.  Good Luck -Bill
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:01:16 pm by billyd1000 » Logged

Burn the midnight oil, it will be daylight soon....
Bev in NY

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2007, 03:21:39 pm »

hey thanks alot Billyd1000....i can't start reinstalling my games right now i got to b to work in a hour...but when i get home i will start doing them....i do have all the patches i saved them to a cd....so i wouldn't have to redownload them again and yes dial up is a pain...one patch takes about a hour to a hour in a half to get....so add that up for each patch....long haul for sure....so i will start on my reinstall later like i said when i get home and will reply back to let u know how it all went....but thanks alot for the help with the registry.....

BEV
Bev in NY

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 03:17:16 pm »

well Billyd1000...i'm back!!! i installed base game and then the patch for it....and next University...game installed but when it asked for Disc4 from base game to check if updated starts to go thru the checking then error comes up saying..."Error during update installation" the update process didn't complete successfully..." installation will now terminate" so it will not install UN....i didn't try to install my other expansions cuz i figure it will do the same thing and i have read u should do them in order....I read another thread where someone had the same problem...but the only answer they got was to install patch...i assume they were referring to base game patch and i have that installed already....and that doesn't help...I am so kicking myself in the butt for trying to start from scratch when i wasn't having any problems playing the game before....infact i was so relieved when i read other threads and seen all the issues others were having and i didn't have any....now i'm on the list of "Issues"....Well i'm going to try a few things and will check back on here later to see if u can save me again or anyone else with your helpful suggestions....u guys r so appreciated i am sure with all the help u offer....
U know what would b great? if Eric could somehow incorporate a way to use insimenator and when u click summoner...one of u guys could magically appear on my door step....LOL
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 03:24:38 pm by Bev in NY » Logged

BEV
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: