Insimenator.org
April 24, 2024, 08:17:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent Problems downloading RAR files with WINRAR  (Read 3021 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
jwilson5
Site Santa!

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:14:54 pm »

I thought it was only me but someone else also brought up the recent problem of getting error messages when trying to open or save the RAR files from the various threads.  The other person was getting them trying to download from iNSIMADULT. I have been getting them more often now, especially when trying to download from MTS2.

I provide two examples below:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=206740 get a corruption error when trying to open the Midnight skin. Ren assures me its fine.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=217623 get an "end of archive" message and one of the meshes disappears from the file. I am sure it is fine as no one else has complained.

I use the free WINRAR program and today I downloaded the latest 3.62 version but the problem remained. I use Firefox as my internet access.

So, as I was writing this I thought, "self.......what happens if you try downloading through Internet Exployer instead of Firefox?" So I did and the files opened fine.:smt120

The only conclusion I can gather is that WINRAR has been modified to work better with Internet Exployer than Firefox (big surprise as both are made for Windows). Perhaps this will help others who are having problems lately. Try downloading through your Internet Exployer if you are using Firefox and having problems.

"Pure art is not about the creator, its about the creation"
Durage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:30:50 pm »

Quote from: jwilson5;564054
I thought it was only me but someone else also brought up the recent problem of getting error messages when trying to open or save the RAR files from the various threads.  The other person was getting them trying to download from iNSIMADULT. I have been getting them more often now, especially when trying to download from MTS2.

I provide two examples below:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=206740 get a corruption error when trying to open the Midnight skin. Ren assures me its fine.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=217623 get an "end of archive" message and one of the meshes disappears from the file. I am sure it is fine as no one else has complained.

I use the free WINRAR program and today I downloaded the latest 3.62 version but the problem remained. I use Firefox as my internet access.

So, as I was writing this I thought, "self.......what happens if you try downloading through Internet Exployer instead of Firefox?" So I did and the files opened fine.:smt120

The only conclusion I can gather is that WINRAR has been modified to work better with Internet Exployer than Firefox (big surprise as both are made for Windows). Perhaps this will help others who are having problems lately. Try downloading through your Internet Exployer if you are using Firefox and having problems.

Thank you Cheesy

:toothy10: Smiley Spammings :toothy10:  
Rogue777

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 07:38:45 pm »

jwilson5 - Do you select Open or Save to Disk when you click on a download?

BTW, Durage, that's how you ask for help.  Take note, ok?

Update: I just downloaded that midnight file and was able to extract it with no problem, using Firefox.  But I saved it to my PC before trying to extract it. If you're trying to open it from the download link that might be why you're having a problem.  Just a guess.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 07:44:23 pm by Rogue777 » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 08:31:38 pm »

the latest iterations of Firefox browser have been plagued by problems of the "creeping doom" sort, not a problem at first but as time passes the problem appears and worsens.  Each successive update to Firefox is meant to correct one potential source of the problem after another.  Try updating your install of Firefox... personally I would rather die than use it.

Firefox has a serious flaw in the buffer (the temporary area where files in transit are stored) -- WinRAR is not biased towards any browser.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
jwilson5
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 09:50:29 pm »

Okay, I downloaded the new 2.0 version of Firefox. Went to both of those links, tried open, got error messages, crashed Firefox. Tried save as, nothing happened, crashed firefox. Although I did get a few "server not available" type-messages so that could have been a problem too.:sad4:

Anyhow, thanks everyone for taking the time to try and help my pitiful self out.
I only use Firefox because Internet Exployer lets too many nasty things into my computer.

BBBoy, thanks for your suggestion. Please do not use Firefox, we don't want you to hurt yourself:angel:

"Pure art is not about the creator, its about the creation"
Rogue777

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 10:06:54 pm »

jwilson - I've received those server not available error messages quite a bit over the past weekend when trying to download from MTS2, but I was eventually able to download the file I wanted. Maybe if you try it again later, it will work for you. Good luck.
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 11:23:32 pm »

Thanks trigger Tongue

If you have a question about my mods post it here
Rogue777

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 07:29:31 am »

You're welcome, brat.
spookymuffin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 07:34:51 am »

Ive been having a lot of problems downloading from MTS2 recently, an the only solution I have found is as follows:

-Right click on the download and choose "open in new window", if you get the server error message keep refreshing the page untill you get a page full of seemingly meaningless code.

-close the new window

-now when you click on the download it *should* work this time(about 80% of the time)

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin.
[/COLOR]
winema

View Profile
hi
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:44 am »

If you have problems with winrar get Zipeg it downloads all type and are free

Cheesy
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 06:15:09 pm »

Highly recommend 7-zip:

http://www.7-zip.org/

in place of Winrar and also in place of Winzip.

As for Firefox, go to Tools--Options--General and double-check that your download preferences are actually set as you want them to be, then click OK.

EDIT: Oh, and if you haven't done it for a while, clear the Firefox Cache.  Tools--Clear Private Data. Uncheck all the boxes except the one labeled Cache and the click the Clear button.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:04:52 pm by rwills » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: