Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:36:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with Fish and other Seasons actions  (Read 20490 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2007, 10:50:37 am »

Quote from: GiGiChic04;634862
you can't put them in the fridge... you have to keep them in your inventory until you either hang them or cook them... Smiley and when you cook them it looks like confetti flies around them.

Yes, actually you can put your fish in the fridge. Click on the refrigerator, select stock, you will be able to choose which fish to stock in there and which ones you prefer to leave in inventory. If you do not get this option you most likely have a mod conflict.

Burn the midnight oil, it will be daylight soon....
socurious

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2007, 01:14:56 pm »

You can probably just create one and it'll work fine. Just right-click in the config folder and choose 'New' and create a Text Document named 'userStartup'.

Go ahead and write what cheats you want in it, such as the use shaders code.

After you save and close it, just use the tutorial that I placed in my last post before this one to change the .txt file to a .cheat file.  It should work fine then.

Most people had the userStartup.cheat file added to their config folder if they downloaded the earlier remove censor cheat, which was included in the original Sims 2 and Uni. EP, so not everyone has it by default.

NOTE: Out of curiosity, keep me informed so I know whether my tutorials have helped you guys.

I must have done something wrong because I didn't get the popup asking me to confirm the change from .txt to .cheat.  It is still showing up as a text document.   I went into the game to check out if I could see fish, but it was winter and the pond was frozen.  Also, there were comments about not being able to see the fish if the pond was too small or not deep enough.  I don't know just how big or deep they need to be so I'll check on that, too.    I'll try redoing everything to see what I did wrong. Thank you very much for your help!  

Isn't it a shame the Panthers didn't do what all the sports guru expected

...everywhere you go, there you are...:pickleride:
Dizi

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 01:59:56 pm »

I haven't been able to see fish but I didn't know until I read this thread that I should be able to. I just clicked on the pond and my guy started fishing. I'm not able to see the fishing line either just the pole. Wonder if that's part of the same. I just got my video card so I don't want to make any changes on it or its programming as I don't have a clue what I'm doing with it. I think I can live without seeing fish swimming in the pond.
~dizi

Thanks to everybody who submits their work, you've made my game so wonderful sometimes I can't STAND it!
My X-Men fanfiction can be found here and pics of my X-Men and other sims here (everythings under 'scraps')
Micco

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2007, 02:08:11 pm »

There is no fishing line and they hold the pole upside down. You don't need to make changes to your card, you just need to add boolprop useshaders true to the last line of your userStartup.cheat file.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
Dizi

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2007, 02:16:44 pm »

I'll try it and see, but I guess it's not such a big deal for me because I didn't know it should be there. My sims can fish and that's the important thing to me.
~dizi

Thanks to everybody who submits their work, you've made my game so wonderful sometimes I can't STAND it!
My X-Men fanfiction can be found here and pics of my X-Men and other sims here (everythings under 'scraps')
megativity13

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2007, 05:01:04 pm »

Just to toss in my .02 here-

You'll have to use maxi's refrigerators to be able stock them with fruits/veggies/fish.  Customs fridges don't have the option to stock.  At least not yet.

Also, I've noticed while building ponds to be able to fish- the pond should be unlevel- i.e. don't just dig straight down all the way so that the "walls" of the pond are straight.  I've done that a few times and wasn't able to get the option to fish, until I added some variety of depth to it.

feed the hungry while testing your vocabulary
bulldawg

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2007, 06:18:22 pm »

Quote from: Dizi;642782
Sorry, real life got in the way last night and I didn't have time to pull up the game. I'll try tonight and tell you the results. Unless something else happens.
~dizi

That's fine! I just thought I'd touch base. Got my fingers crossed 4U
Dizi

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2007, 01:10:22 am »

It worked! It worked! Thank you so much! Those shortcuts are going to be a big help during the contest I'm in. And all the houses I need to build. Heck, just in everyday game play. I really appreciate it!
~dizi

bulldawg

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2007, 07:00:40 am »

Quote from: Dizi;644133
It worked! It worked! Thank you so much! Those shortcuts are going to be a big help during the contest I'm in. And all the houses I need to build. Heck, just in everyday game play. I really appreciate it!
~dizi

Fantastic!!!!  I was happy to help!  I have another good tip for you.  Every once in a while my game won't boot up for some reason.  It doesn't matter if I reboot my system, it will still do it.  I managed to look in Task Manager and the 2 Sims file appears but suddenly they just disappear.  When it first happened to me I uninstalled the game.  It takes ages to install the game and expansion packs, not to mention having to redo my Camera files and the cheat file etc.  Thankfully after doing that, nearly 2 hours later, the game worked.  About a week later I was reading posts at a Sims fan site (I forget which one)  Anyway, I saw that someone had posted that they had a problem starting their game, the problem was exactly the same as mine.  Someone posted a solution.  Open your My Documents Sims folder, in the main Sims folder look for a file called groups.cache, DELETE that file.  The game should boot up now.

A few weeks later I had the same problem.  I deleted the groups.cache file and the game started.  Don't worry, the game rewrites the file anyway.  I'm not 100% why this works.  Something about, since the game rewrites this file everytime you play the game, occassionally there will be an error and that's why the game won't start.  BTW, you can delete this file even if you have no problems.  In fact, I delete it every time I play the game.  

I was happy to find a solution that was so simple and took mere seconds to carry out.  I was a bit ticked that I wasted all that time uninstalling and reinstalling, but it taught me a lesson.  Uninstalling the game should be your ultimate last resort.  Inevitably there is solution to your problem, if you search the fansite forums.  This forum has alot of helpful information, another good site for info. is Mod The Sims 2 or the official Sims 2 site.  Don't wait until you have a problem either.  Be prepared.  I read the problems sections and take note of the different problems and solutions.  You also benefit by doing this because people post to say if the solution worked or not.  Like you did here, if anyone reads our posts they can see that you tried it and it worked.

Finally, if you want the game to run quicker.  A cheap solution is to buy some RAM, fill up every available slot your system has available.  Everyone seems to assume that having a powerful graphics card will make the game run quicker.  This is true for practically every other game you play, but The Sims2 is different.  The Sims2 uses up more clock speed, so by getting extra RAM the game runs smoother.  Increasing your clock speed is even better.  My game runs fairly smooth with pentium4 2.66CPU & 1.5 GIG RAM, my video card is a 128 meg NVIDIA.  I can't fit anymore RAM or I would.  It is the easiest solution.  If I want to increase my CPU, it costs more and is a bit of a hassle. Anyway, I suggest this link to you and anyone who is reading this, it will teach you much about the game, make sure you read everything, there are links to the other pages on the link below;

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6133243/index.html?type=tech

Hope this helps again!  It gave me a great feeling to know that there is someone out there who has found a better way to play the game because of my advice.  Enjoy your game!  Good luck with your contest and if you have a problem in the future send me a PM and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Take care!
bulldawg
Dizi

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2007, 09:05:38 am »

Oh yeah, finding out about the group.cache thing was a lifesaver! Until a month ago I was reinstalling the game like once a week. Now I delete that file every other time I play just to be safe. In the same way, I run the Hack Conflict Utility EVERY time I install any downloads whether I downloaded any hacks or not. That has saved me some headaches.

If you use SimPE to extract sims from the game, load them into bodyshop and save it again then delete the extracted file if you're wanting to keep them in the bin (such as for faces and such). Saved sim SimPE files will eventually become unreadable as some update or other comes out. I found that out the hard way going through my entire download folder (at the time I only had 3gig instead of the 10 I do now) only to find out that the problem was in Saved Sims. Though, I suppose that problem could have been related to the group.cache thing. I started taking preventive measures for both instances at the same time.

Actually, both RAM and video card do make a difference. I have over a gig of RAM and it 30-45min for the game to pull up (because of the downloads since without them it took maybe 15) and 20-30min for a family. Just recently I got a video/graphics card and those times were cut in half or less. Now I didn't go out and get a top of the line card. My computer is almost 5yrs old and the only card in stock was a 32, so I obviously didn't get anything high end. But it does make a difference. If I didn't have as much RAM as I do it probably wouldn't make that big of a difference but it does help.

~dizi

bulldawg

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2007, 03:55:17 am »

I had the same thing with my Saved Sim file.  Bodyshop would always crash if I tried to open it.  Finally found information about what Sim PE does.  Now I have no problems.  

Glad to hear you know of the benefits of the group.cache file.  Wow, I was complaining and I only uninstalled once! LOL  You were doing that every week.  YIKES!  But it does back up what I said about uninstalling being your last resort.  The majority of the time, there is no need to.

I agree that the graphics card will help.  Think I gave the impression I thought it wouldn't make a difference.  It does, but there are better alternatives you can do first.  If you didn't check out my link, I suggest you do.  What I liked was how they test the game by using a variety of video cards, RAM, CPU's etc.  It gives a balanced view of how the game works.  Their approach is scientific because they test using different methods and compare the results.  

You're a download junkie too huh?  My download file is about 13 gig at the moment and it takes 25-40 minutes for the game to load.  About 5 - 10 minutes top to load the neighbourhood.  The same for my first lot.  But once I use a lot and exit.  All lots load in less than a minute.  The same for CAS, once I have used it and want to create another family, it takes less than a minute.  Makes me laugh really, my first PC couldn't even store all the information in my downloads folder!  LOL

I can't think of any other tips.  I'm sure something will come to me, though.  LOL

Take Care!
bulldawg
tiffyt11206

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2007, 11:20:48 pm »

Wow, I've been reading through all of your posts and I have to say the information here is phenomenal. Thanks all for posting. I am using all the tips I heard here and hope things go smoothly. I still am not sure how to edit my video card options though so I can get the in game option for the snow x-ray. But as I haven't yet gotten anywhere near Winter I suppose I have time. Smiley
I have around 750ram and am tabbing to tigerdirect now to order more. My video card is a Radeon 9200 series. 128 gb of video memory I believe, I bought it when I bought my computer because I heard that it was the best for gaming rather then more video memory or something like that. But I guess it's kind of true because my hubbys comp has 256 video memory Radeon 9800se and I can two box most of my games and his computer chokes and vomits if I try. >.>
I don't have the uberest computer but I take really good care of it and am amply rewarded for it. Wink
Again thanks for all the great information. It is going to great use. Cheesy
blu00

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2007, 07:12:45 am »

Hi all

I'm new to this site and to the forum and have to say it provides really good info. Unfortunately I wasn't able to read all the threads, but a few of them and  I have a really annoying problem. I can't fish. I mean my cursor changes when on a pond, but i can't click anything and no menu pops up ... nothing. I really don't know what's the problem. Should be because  I don't see the fish or why? I read that some of you actually can't see them but still can fish. Please help me with this. Thanks a lot.
Disco Dancer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2007, 03:40:36 am »

Yeah i have had problems with the Over-heating thing to I just got Seasons so I wanted to see what happens when they freeze and get sunburnt but it just went down/up and no more???

^
For the fish thing the pond may not be deep enough or it could just be a glitch?
Dunner

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2007, 05:38:03 am »

With the fish ponds, yeah, make sure that the pond is deep enough... Usually about 4 clicks down when you're placing water is good, but make sure the pond is wide too.

If you use the InSIMenator itself, make sure that you've downloaded the most up-to-date version. The older versions can cause errors in the game including not being able to fish.

Failing these two things, temporarily remove any hacks that you have in the game and check to see if that's causing the problem. It takes some time if you've got a lot of hacks, especially if you've got to check them one by one.

About the X-ray cursor, it became available to me in the Options panel once I used the UseShaders cheat. Frankly, I keep the X-ray cursor disabled, as I don't like it too much. Besides, I'm a responsible player; I'm not going to leave any puppies/kittens/babies out in the snow. Wink

EDIT: I'm still having the freezing/overheating problem myself; the ONLY way I've been able to see either one is through the new InSIMenator options. lol I was hoping very much that they would have fixed it in the first patch, but they didn't hardly do anything! Now, we'll have to wait about another 2 weeks for the next patch to be released. Sad
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:41:30 am by Dunner » Logged

<('_'<) <('_')> (>'_')>
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: