Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 01:33:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for cleaning the download folder?  (Read 2337 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
LilKittikins

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2007, 08:04:55 pm »

Okay, so I'm an addict. I download way too much, and my game is showing it... it runs sooo slow. I know there are downloads in the folder I never use, but once upon a time I was very, very bad about organization. As in, there was none. NONE. So there are 4,759 items in the folder that I haven't gotten around to organizing because I don't know what some of them even ARE. Does anyone have a program or method to help me figure this out?
Roses123

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:16:48 pm »

My best advice is to start over. Bookmark the sites you use regularly and then delete your DL folder. After you have deleted it start with bodyshop. Get clothes, hair, makeup, ect. Before you download any of it think though *Will I really be using this?* If the answer is no or maybe don't download it. Then do the same for Furniture and build mode.

*I know its really hard to pass up a good hair but hey sometimes you have to.

*Also when downloading from your Bookmarked sites don't spend too much time on one site. Go through and look. If site A has a good hair but its high poly then maybe Site B will have a better hair low poly Smiley

*If you have 2-5 living rooms sets don't download any new ones. Thats too many. Can we say sloooooooow.

*If you find yourself not using a hair you thought you would then delete it. THat gives you room for a new hair that you know you will use.

*Sometimes you forget all of this and start downloading all crazy. At the end of every week check your DL folder (Sims 2 CI is the best) and get rid of stuff you really don't need..

*Think about how your sims get around. If you don't mind using a taxi then don't bother downloading custom cars.

*(What I do) I have houses that have all maxis stuff and then I have houses that have custom stuff. So whenever I want to play maxis house I take all of my d/l out so that the game will run smoother and faster.

*****These are some of the things I do and my folder went from 3.78 GB to 269MBs its not as bad as you think. I have very good *Peggy* hairs in my game and I also have some very nice *Windkeeper window sets* I also have bunches of *Icedmango and heleane make up* When I put my furniture in my folder goes up to 400+ MBs. So watch out for furniture.****** If you have anyquestions don't hesitate to ask. Wink I'm very OCD-ish I can get you all organized and straightened out Cheesy

|Wallpapers|Floors|Houses|LimmerferSims2|Clothes|Recolors|Paintings|
LilKittikins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:20:07 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I may well have to do that, because I know where I got all my favorite downloads from. For now I'm going to at least attempt some less drastic measures... but I'll keep all that advice in mind.
Roses123

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:31:21 pm »

Oh I have advice on that too Cheesy
*If you have all your downloads in one big folder :
Use http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/. Yea It takes a while but its worth it in the end. Go to Clean Installer>Browse>Sims 2 Folder>Downloads. Click on the downloads folder and wait for the stuff to appear is CI. When it does click the type button at the top that says *type*. You should see the type in that column *ie makeup, clothes* Highlight every object from a certain group and the right click and click *Move To..* Then move it to the correct folder in your D/L folder (ie Clothes go in clothes folder). The meshes will not have a type listed just put those in a folder labeled meshes *or in the folder with the recolors it goes to*. Then you can easily go through and delete anything you dont want Smiley

|Wallpapers|Floors|Houses|LimmerferSims2|Clothes|Recolors|Paintings|
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:31:54 pm »

You could also do it the slow and tireing way. First by starting in bodyshop, and deleting everything you don't use/want anymore. Then go into the game and do the same in buy/build mode. It takes a hell of a lot of time, but it's worth it (because you never know when you delete that one SO special item, and then later you just can't find it again)

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
jenny_dunagan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 01:18:16 am »

This tutorial helped me a lot!!! I'm working on going thru all the steps right now because my game is also VERY slooooooooooow!
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=84495
Frog_Man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 01:47:06 am »

I just go into Bodyshop, and start deleting. lol

Deleting in bodyshop is 10x faster than deleting in CAS.
Mickey57

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:33 am »

I also try to just delete stuff i don't use on a routine basis, ie, if I am building and go into say comfort, and i realize a bed never gets used, I just delete it while I am there, it's only a little at a time, but it keeps the unused junk out.  Another thing I do, when I setup a new neighborhood or completely clean out my downloads (this only works if you have pets or higher), I package favorite houses, this ensures that all my favorite commonly used items are in the downloads folder after I dump all the stuff I don't want any more.

:worship:Big Daddy still got it goin' on!:worship:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: