Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 03:02:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: How do I install the game directly from my hard drive instead of from the CDs?  (Read 4775 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2007, 01:50:24 pm »

Q: How do I install the game directly from your hard drive instead of from the disks?

A: Here are some instructions from the EA web site:

Make sure to follow the steps below exactly as they read, or else the install may not work.

The Sims 2 on 4 CD-Roms:
    [*]Double-click My Computer.
    [*]Right-click on the Local Disk C and choose Open.
    [*]Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
    [*]Name the folder Disk Images it is important that the name has a space in it.
    [*]Double-Click the new Disk Images folder to open it.
    [*]Name this folder Disk1.  
    [*]Right-click inside the Disk Images folder window and select New, and then Folder.
    [*]Name this folder Disk2.
    [*]Right-click inside the Disk Images folder window and select New, and then Folder.
    [*]Name this folder Disk3.
    [*]Name this folder Disk4.
    [*]There should now be 4 'Disk' folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.
    [*]Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
    [*]Double-click My Computer to open it.
    [*]Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
    [*]When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
    [*]All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.
    [*]Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk1 folder.
    [*]Insert Disk 2 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
    [*]When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
    [*]All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.
    [*]Open the Disk2 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk2 folder.
    [*]Insert Disk 3 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
    [*]Open the Disk3 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk3 folder.
    [*]Insert Disk 4 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
    [*]Open the Disk4 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk4 folder.
    [*]Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs & DVDs from any drives.
    [*]Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.
    [*]To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation has completed.
    [/LIST]

The Sims 2 on 1 DVD-ROM:
      [*]Double-click My Computer.
      [*]Right-click on the Local Disk C and choose Open.
      [*]Name the folder Disk Images it is important that the name has a space in it.
      [*]Double-Click the new Disk Images folder to open it.
      [*]Name this folder Disk1.  
      [*]Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your DVD-ROM drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
      [*]Right-click on your DVD-ROM drive and choose Open.
      [*]Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the DVD into the Disk1 folder.
      [*]Once all the files have been copied, remove ALL CDs & DVDs from any drives.
      [*]Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.
      [*]To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation has completed.
      [/LIST]

This method works for all Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs - items downloaded from EA Link will not install this way AFAIK

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
      -- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
      Pages: [1]
        Print  

Jump to: