Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 12:03:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer in restart loop, help!  (Read 3650 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Triple_sSs

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:21:03 pm »

Not exactly a sims issue, but a computer issue.
Just this morning, I got my computer out of standby and my monitor wouldn't work, so I tried restarting the system but the monitor still wouldn't work. So then I shut the computer off again and pulled the plug from the monitor, put it back in, started up the PC once more again and the monitor finally worked, but then a little ways into the loading screen, the system suddenly restarts. And when it does after all the bios stuff, I got a message saying that the system was improperly shut down or there might have been a hardware or software change or something like that, and it gives me the option for starting windows normally, with the last know configuration, or in safe mode. I tried all of these and it always restarts in the middle of the loading screen in the same place it did with the first automatic restart. And now I can't even use it! I don't think it's because of the monitor, but probably because of shuting the PC down too early in the process of fixing my monitor. Did I mess up my system files so it can't even start up right because of doing that?
I've got Windows XP on a Sony VAIO PCV-RX380DS
Someone help please! Computer is literally my life!!! :cry: :sad5:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 08:44:42 pm by Triple_sSs » Logged
Micco

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:45:40 pm »

Sounds like a hardware failure either in the video card or the motherboard, RAM is a remote possibility. What did you mean by "fixing" your monitor?

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 02:47:04 pm »

You can't start in safe mode even?  If you turned off your computer while it was writing to the hard drive some system-wise may have very well be hosed.  You might try inserting the system recover CD (you did make one of those, right) and see if that can repair the problem.
Triple_sSs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 02:52:23 pm »

Ugh, I don't make any system recovery cd's, ought to. Sad Maybe my dad can make one for me. And how exactly would you make those, anyways?
tmadrk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:52:23 pm »

It sounds like one of your critical operating system files got corrupted.  Try using system restore to restore your computer back to an earlier date to see if that works.  If not then it looks like it is time to reinstall your operating system.
Triple_sSs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 03:01:30 pm »

Well, windows doesn't even start, so I can't just go to accessories and click system restore. But is it possible to run system restore at startup in one way or another?
Micco

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 03:10:44 pm »

Supposedly, but I have never had much luck with it.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

Do you by any chance have Norton System Works? You can run the utilities from the cd drive. Norton utilities can correct some system file errors. It is worth a shot if you have access to it. Good Luck.
P.S. not to be a bearer of bad news and doom, but I fried a HDD once doing a hard shutdown. Been a while back but the way you describe start up sounds familiar.

Burn the midnight oil, it will be daylight soon....
Triple_sSs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 08:36:19 pm »

Okay, right now I'm recovering my drive with the Recovery Console from my XP installation CD from the suggestion of the Windows help and I'll see how that works. Smiley
Triple_sSs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 02:26:49 pm »

Wow, it actually worked! I'm just have to reupdate to SP2 and a few other things as well. Thanks everyone for the help still! Wink
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 06:51:55 pm by Triple_sSs » Logged
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 07:14:13 pm »

Good to here it worked. Lot of issues with the computers  since seasons. I think it rivals NL for being very very good. So I guess it is worth it.Smiley

Triple_sSs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 07:27:58 pm »

^ Now that this issue was even caused by seasons, (And I don't even have that EP) but ok, thanks. :lol:
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 07:44:09 pm »

Quote from: Triple_sSs;636222
^ Now that this issue was even caused by seasons, (And I don't even have that EP) but ok, thanks. :lol:

Yea, I was just making a general comment. There has been many hardware questions arise since Seasons release. I did assume you had it installed, but it still is a true statement. I have my problems in heavy weather. It will cause my Notebook to grind to a halt. I knew it was going to happen eventually, but for what I have it does a very good job with all EP's and Stuff Packs installed. I am glad you are up and running again. Good simming!

Pikachu4Prez

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 08:19:26 am »

It's Because Your CPU is overheated. Try letting it stay shut down for awhile.

Fly Piggie, Fly!!:snorting:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: