Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 12:52:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Defragmenting  (Read 2912 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
pinkpanthurpurr

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:06:42 pm »

Well last night I was bored and so Iwas defragmenting my computer.  This morning I got on and almost all of my CC clothing was gone!  I was very sad!  And then I thought it just decided not to work in seasons.  So I tried downloading an outfit that had just worked the other day, but it was gone!  So they are all deleted, not just not showing up!  And not in the recycle bin either!  What did I do wrong?

Save the earth - its the only planet with chocolate.
billyd1000

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:11:27 pm »

Defraging your hdd will not delete anything from your computer. You have had to do something besides running defrag utility.

Burn the midnight oil, it will be daylight soon....
pinkpanthurpurr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:24:34 pm »

Thats all I did though!  That and a disk cleanup, which I do regularly...

baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:19:30 pm »

When you first open your game, is the "enable custom content" on or off? I don't know if defragging would turn CC off, but that's what I would check to see.

I stalk...... oh no, I mean I worship the Hack_Mastah, Squinge :worship:
pinkpanthurpurr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:31:35 pm »

It's turned on.  And now, today, I had some of my clothes are back!  Not a lot, but a few!  My computer has gone crazy!

baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:21:33 pm »

I don't know then what it could be, but I am having issues like that too. Only with mine entire folders disappear and re-appear at will. One day I have a "SavedSims" folder and the next day I do not. Then my "facetemplates" folder up and vanished, only to re-appear  2 days later. Sometimes I feel like my computer is playing with my sanity, which is dangerous because I don't have much sanity left.

Sparkels74
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:50:30 am »

I too am having the same problem.  I have backed things up and re-installed, and part of cc shows up and others don't.  Also, when I tried to install seasons, it "delete" my sound cardc driver.  Thats right its not found.  Everytime I try to plays sims  or put any disk in the drive, it plays with out sound and I have to re-load my drivers everytime.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:09:29 am »

ok - there are other reasons this could be happening

viruses

yes dear ones, viruses.  Just because you have anti-virus software does not mean you can't be eat up with cooties.

another potential problem is something very arcane:

hard drive failure

it happens, hard drives wear out and get bad spots on them, these bad spots can seem to appear and disappear

and yet one more source of woe:

the game itself

if you have a downloading addiction issue, then you may well have added more than the game was ever designed to handle!  If you don't have a butt-load of extra RAM and lots of hard drive space, having more than 1024, 2048, 4096, or 8192 items (each one is a breaking point) in your downloads folder, you may see this sort of issue.  It is especial a problem if you have any of the Stuff Packs installed.  The game has a "catalogue" function that is supposed to manage and track custom content... it is buggy as the poop on the floor of a Borneo bat cave.  Yes you heard me, Maxis/EA knows about this and has never fixed it, so it screws up.

My advice:

Change to Kaspersky anti-virus, run a CHKDSK /F, then move all the downloads out and add it back a little at a time, forcing the game to re-index the CC.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
pinkpanthurpurr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:42:04 pm »

Thanks beosboxboy!!

baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:25:47 pm »

OMg--bat poop, I just spit water all over my desktop. rotflmao

I have said before I am computer technically challenged, now I am shamefully admitting to outright stupidity. I moved the folders out before I installed Seasons, and I forgot to put them all back in. So I was going back and forth between the 2 folders and got them mixed up. As my father would say "Dunekumpf"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: