Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 05:25:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of things...  (Read 2388 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Xylune

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:07:08 pm »

Okay, I've accepted that until my new gcard comes in, I can't see fish without making my game crash, but I've got a couple of other issues that I'm not sure about.

One: Are there supposed to be sky features in this expansion, such as sun, moon, clouds, stars, etc?  I can tell when it's sunset because everything has a pretty orange light cast on it, but my skies remain an empty blue.  Graphics card issue, or something else?

Two: Are we supposed to have a "catch" interaction for fireflies?  I saw some on one of my lots at night and tried to click on them, but all I got was the "go here" interaction.  I thought I checked all hacks and removed everything that hadn't been tested or updated for Seasons.  Will the hack conflict utility tell you if you have a hack that's interfering with Maxis actions, or does it only detect hacks that conflict with each other?

I'm sorry if someone has already asked/answered these questions...I looked and didn't see another thread about this.  Thanks!

Visit my site for original fantasy fiction (Warning: my stories include male/male romance)
Beyond the Ninth Wave
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:55:42 pm »

Yeah, these issues have been discussed in the Sims 2 Seasons Chat forum.
It's the old InSim DEST that prevent you from catching fireflies/butterflies and fishing. The first workaround was using the InSim OBJ, but now there's a spanking new Seasons InSim and it works like a charm. Go get it! At once! LOL.

In my game I "mostly" don't SEE fish on my lots, but I can still fish. Very weird, because on one lot I see fish. First it was one, a couple (real time) days later there were even two. But not on any of my other lots. I also don't see stars or the moon. And no, I don't have a very old graphics card, I have a GeForce 6800 with up to date drivers (and I tried everything from beta drivers to omega drivers and lots inbetween...).
I even put my ingame resolution down from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 just to see the bumpmaps on my sims clothes! I guess I have to get a new machine to fully enjoy the performance munching monster that is The Sims2. Sigh.
Xylune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:21:20 am »

I have the latest version of InSim, so that can't be the problem.  I can fish, build snow men and make snow angels fine...I just can't catch fireflies.  I haven't tried butterflies yet, though.

Nvidia cards evidently suck for Sims2, which is why I chose a Radeon for my upgrade.  There have been endless reports of people with Geforce and other Nvidia cards having issues, so I wouldn't recommend purchasing further cards from them unless you aren't big into TS2.  I tend to hop from one MMO to another and am consistent with Sims, so I've chosen the Radeon route, myself.

For the fish, you can try "boolprop UseShaders true" and you will see fish in the tanks and ponds, but from what I've read, outdated video cards aren't meant to see them and using that cheat has caused my computer to crash.  Until you can afford a graphics upgrade, you may have to live without seeing the fish in exchange for game stability.

Visit my site for original fantasy fiction (Warning: my stories include male/male romance)
Beyond the Ninth Wave
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:50:16 am »

Quote from: Xylune;648518
Nvidia cards evidently suck for Sims2, which is why I chose a Radeon for my upgrade.  There have been endless reports of people with Geforce and other Nvidia cards having issues, so I wouldn't recommend purchasing further cards from them unless you aren't big into TS2.

See, I've heard that very same thing about Radeon cards...
On a different thought: who writes a posting in a forum just to inform the other players, that their card works fine? Nobody. They post only when they have trouble...

For the fish, you can try "boolprop UseShaders true" and you will see fish in the tanks and ponds, but from what I've read, outdated video cards aren't meant to see them...

I don't think a GeForce 6800 is so very outdated as of now. Not when I keep reading about people playing with GeForce2 or ooold Radeon cards.
I know about the cheat and it doesn't make my game crash, but it makes no difference: I have one lot with fish and dozens without fish. So really, not GeForce sucks, The Sims suck*. But that's common knowledge, isn't it?

*It may not seem so, but it's meant kinda lovingly, one has to admit to the faults even of loved ones, right? Wink
megativity13

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 01:07:39 am »

Quote from: Xylune;647644

Two: Are we supposed to have a "catch" interaction for fireflies?  I saw some on one of my lots at night and tried to click on them, but all I got was the "go here" interaction.  I thought I checked all hacks and removed everything that hadn't been tested or updated for Seasons.  Will the hack conflict utility tell you if you have a hack that's interfering with Maxis actions, or does it only detect hacks that conflict with each other?

I'm sorry if someone has already asked/answered these questions...I looked and didn't see another thread about this.  Thanks!

You can't click on the fireflies (or the butterflies for that matter), you'll have to click on the ground near/beneath them for the catch interaction.

feed the hungry while testing your vocabulary
Xylune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:18:22 am »

Thanks for that info, Megativity.  Maybe I wasn't clicking in the right spot, then.

Beyond the Ninth Wave
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: