Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 03:10:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics again.  (Read 9455 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Charley

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2007, 05:50:39 am »

my graphics card keeps messin up on me, its an nvidia MX4000. it will either reset the computer when i play on my sims for more than about half an hour, or it will just mess up the graphic. have included a piccy in another thread that i made not long ago bout this same problem. Anyone any idea how i can get it to work properly?

Thanks
Char
xxx

Micco

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:42:27 am »

That card is not up to the task of running Seasons. The chance of the game working properly with that card is remote. It's amazing that your game runs at all.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:24:38 am »

i also have a Verto GF FX5200 128 MB graphics card, would that work any better or would that not run it? When i ran the 'seasons diagnostic' it told me that my graphics card was fine.

Char
xxx

warhawke

No Longer Ever Watchful...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 08:35:02 am »

Sorry to butt in, but how do you run the seasons diagnostic?
I want to see my computer compatibility.

I long to be like you, Lie cold in ground like you
There's room inside for two
I'm not grieving for you, I'm coming for you

Warhawke Studios
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:48:36 am »

i saw it in the general discussion area, will find a link for you now. you weren't butting in!!

Char
xxx

EDIT: I can't seem to find it, but i'm sure it was on here somewhere.

EDIT: Found it! http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=38432
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:58:40 am by Charley » Logged

The Mule

Beast of Burden

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:22:09 am »

nvidea's are notorious for crashing games, even newer cards. After a few crashes on my new computer I googled the error message and came across the phrase on the manufacturer's website, wherein TONS of people playing all sorts of games were getting that same error message and the manufacturer basically saying.."we don't know how to fix it"...

Yes...its the same Mule as before
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 09:32:24 am »

Typical of big companies really! wish they would just check the damn products work before sending them out!!

Char
xxx

warhawke

No Longer Ever Watchful...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:36:52 am »

Thanks. I'm gonna try it. I don't even know what kind of graphic card I have :doh:

I long to be like you, Lie cold in ground like you
There's room inside for two
I'm not grieving for you, I'm coming for you

Warhawke Studios
Micco

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 10:28:33 am »

Just to give everyone an idea of what a resource sucking pig that seasons is, I have 2 7600 GS 512 MB cards running in SLI mode for a total of 1 GB video RAM and I still have to wait and look at the blue screen when I re-enter the game after I alt+tab out. Now I will admit, my hoods are a bit extreme. The Woohoo U. sub-hood uses about 1 GB ram just sitting there in neighborhood view while the other "less developed" sub-hoods use ~650 MB.

Therefore IMHO, using less than a 7 series nVidia card with 256 MB vid ram is going to be problematic at best. Game manufacturers are notoriously optimistic in their estimations of what will work with their games. Sure it will run but just try and add something and/or do something with a minimum or even the "recommended" spec system.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 10:30:44 am »

just looking on ebay, would a 128mb ATI radeon 9200 be suitable for running the sims 2 seasons? I don't really have that many families since it always went so slow! Also becasue my motherboard is so old and crappy, i don''t think it has a PCI-E slot on it, so all the new graphics cards i can't get because most of the are PCI-E. i think my motherboard only has an AGP slot.

Char
xxx
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:34:17 am by Charley » Logged

Micco

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 10:38:28 am »

XFX makes a 512 MB 7600 GS for AGP, it goes for about $150 US. I would really not recommend getting anything less than 256 MB, 512 MB would be preferable or you may find that you just threw good money after bad.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 11:06:23 am »

i don't really have £75 to sepnd on a graphics card, think will have to make do with a 256mb graphic card until i get more money. Would a radeon 9800 SE 256mb card be suitable?

Char
xxx

Micco

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 11:35:55 am »

It will certainly be better than what you have now. Considering the fact you are on an AGP board and have pretty much reached the end of its upgradability the cheaper card may be the best answer until you can afford to get a newer system.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 11:45:02 am »

Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated!! Going to go and buy one of ebay now! supposed to be trying to curb my ebay addiction!!! lol

Char
xxx

SkeleBear

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 11:47:12 pm »

Charlie,

I have found that the Radeon cards are MUCH better at handling the Sims 2 games than nVidia's cards are, regardless of the chipsets.

I installed an ATI Radeon 9250 (PCI) with 256mb in my wife's computer, and she hasn't had a single graphics problem since (running all EP's and SP's including Seasons). That was purchased for about $50 (USD).

I installed a Radeon X550 with 256mb (PCI-Express) in my computer after Pets, Glamour Life, and Family Fun Stuff kept giving me the "blue screen of death" during game play. I have not had a problem since.

I would issue some caution on purchasing a graphics card from ebay. While the prices may be lower, there is virtually no recourse for you should the card be flawed or damaged, as most items are sold in "as-is" condition, and I was burned on a RAM purchase before that way. It's best to purchase the card new from a retailer, and then if something goes wrong or the card doesn't do all that you want it to, you have the option of returning or exchanging it.

Good luck.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: