Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:51:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan Sites Must Be Destroyed!  (Read 55335 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
uknortherner2k

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2007, 03:27:54 pm »

Quote from: Pistachio;885806
EA has no interest in preventing CC, its bad for business. I have good reason to believe that future releases from Maxis will be more CC friendly rather than less.

Unfortunately the humour in this particular artistic statement is somewhat limited for me, some of us get routinely subjected to too much crap from people who genuinely believe those sentiments. I don't personally enjoy stuck up kids giving me a hard time because they feel I should close my site if I can't afford to pay for it entirely myself, sadly for me the most important decision I have each day is not whether to take the blue or the pink Lexus out for a spin. The bewildering sense of entitlement that seems to be so pervasive throughout this community continues to shock me, the idea that not only should creators make things, they should also be solely responsible for paying for the privilege of other people playing with their creations? The community's deranged obsession with pay sites completely ignores the fact that *someone* has to pay to keep these websites online. Keeping websites free involves more than simply bullying those who can't afford their sites offline.

But the thing is, nobody is putting a gun to your head and saying you must make CC and distribute them for free. If you choose to make content and set up a website, that's *your* decision, and nobody else's. Therefore, why should you expect everyone else to pay for it? It's a hobby, not a business!

At the end of the day, there are sites out there like The Sims Resource that are simply in the business of taking players content and charging for it, claiming the copyright for themselves and paying a handful of privileged "Featured Artists" to churn out an increasing number of substandard items for a ludicrously high subscription price. The rest of the contributors, of course get absolutely nothing, not even ownership or control over their own submissions.

I used to make content for Sims 1 for a now-gone website (Living-It-Up). I did it because it was fun, not because I thought I was entitled to other fans cash! I never received a penny for my work, and I certainly never expected to. I did it because I wanted others to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:30:29 pm by uknortherner2k » Logged
Shaddeh

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2007, 03:41:27 pm »

Remember, people, when you support fansites, you support the Communists, and when you support the Communists, you support China, and when you support China, you support ninjas, and when you support ninja you're saying that ninjas>pirates and DATS NO GEWD.

Sexcellent job, BTW. XD
Meganne

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 12:04:05 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Greg;883196
In fact, I can't think of a cogent business reason that EA would want to slow down fan artists; while at the same time, I can think of lots of business reasons that they wouldn't want fan artists to go looking for a competing game to support. Smiley

In case you think that your "irony" got lost, it didn't, many just chose to ignore it. You're mixing intentionally free fansites with paysites. Many others make a distinction, you know?
Paysites take money out of the pockets of the same simmers that could buy one expansion more. From a business point of view why should EA support paysites? On the other side I can see very good business reasons to support real fansites, as in free fansites.  
I wonder where paysiters would go looking for a "competing game" that allows them to get currency for custom content.

"Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one"

Join The Animal Army!
BunniesRPritty

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2007, 12:27:56 am »

Maybe it is the heavy scent of  bleach in the air over here or the fact that its late at night but I didnt find this humorous at all. I don't get it at all.Seems to me you are lumping together paysites and sites that ask for donations. Can someone explain to me, my brain is starting to explode from trying to find the humor and logic.

If I'm hard to understand, I'm sorry, I type how i talk.
Its like a rabid monkey on speed.And I tend to ramble too...
ísarah

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2007, 08:49:44 am »

Poor people who want to make their own Sims CC sites need to a. get a less expensive hobby, b. ask for voluntary donations without "gift sets" as an incentive, or c. get together with other 'financially challenged' Sims CC creators and split the hosting bill together. Donators could be rewarded with something other than exclusive gift sets and donation meshes (which is a violation of EA terms). For example, if a site is set up to allow people to download only one file at a time (like MTS2), donators could be rewarded with a higher bandwidth allowance (three or more items at a time), since donations are only to help pay the bandwidth bills, right?

:smt120
Chairman Greg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 06:47:46 am »

Now let me think...  Would I expect a morally deficient kleptomaniac who can rationalize criminal behavior to have a well-adjusted sense of humor?

Naaah. :lol:

Ah, but you must appreciate the humor in how the rationalization has kept this ancient download topic alive for six months, assuring that thousands more people will see the message and think about it! :laugh:

No?  Ah well.  I tried. :dontknow:

Saz1975

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2007, 06:35:47 am »

Yeah Paysites are way too expensive and actually I have seen more better designs on free sites. I agree!! Beides we pay plenty enough on Maxis Games as it is, we dont need to line other peoples pockets as well.

Great T-shirt deign I love it!!
starpoo90
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2007, 03:54:09 pm »

Why?  Why do you hate freesites?  The paysites are the real enemies. Become a pirate at *YE SHALL NOT LINK TO PIRATE SITES LEST THE WRATH OF THE ADMIN FALL UPON YE* and get free custom content you would otherwise have to pay for!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:24:23 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2007, 11:46:14 am »

Sarcasm... is it that hard to catch?  I think so... :laugh:

Funny stuff, BTW.  Would be great if someone made a sims story with this stuff.  :tongue3:

Chairman Greg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2007, 03:10:24 pm »

Quote from: Tenshii~Akari;1039390

This may be a blessing!  If you do catch it, I don't think it can be cured with penecillian! :lol:

For me, one of the greatest benefits from making this silly little garment was that (thanks to Beosboxboy) I expanded my vocabulary with a very useful word: sardonicity. Cheesy

Funny stuff, BTW.  Would be great if someone made a sims story with this stuff.  :tongue3:

Glad you enjoyed it!  A sims story, eh?  Hmm... need a clever plot... maybe a detective story...

It all started one foggy morning when I got a call from Betsy Hawtbaudy, the doll who runs the Home for Incurable Kleptomanics.  That's where the feds lock up the crooks who can't seem to get a handle of basic moral values.  I couldn't guess why the feds would need help from a third-rate gumshoe like me and I wasn't too keen on the idea of working with a bunch of sociopathic loonies, but I didn't want to miss the chance to see Betsy again.  Besides, business was slow and I needed the money.

Now, where I can I find a nice mesh for a 1930's style double-breasted suit and a snap-brim fedora?

rose_red

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 10:04:30 pm »

I know I'm not a creator, and I don't spend the hours lovingly crafting cc that you guys do, but I really appreciate everything that ppl such as warlokk, beoxboy, neen and bloom post up for free.

Every rose has its thorns :angel:
rose_red

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 10:09:42 pm »

I also object to the insinuation that by not choosing to visit paysites when I can go to places such as dlmuslow's forum and get really amazing content that is kindly put up for me to use, I am impinging on another person's quality of life or stopping them from staying home with their child. Where is the generous, sharing spirit of the forums? and why post up this little whine on a free site???!! shouldn't it be on a paysite???!!

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2008, 07:05:49 am »

... Like I said before:

Well, if penicillin won't work, Greg, guess we're going to have to rely on old family traditions and break out the castor oil.  :tongue6:  :rofl:  Seems like a lot of people are immune to the stuff... I want to be, too.  :lol:

rose_red

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2008, 12:31:13 pm »

maybe you can recolour some penicillin and charge for it?? ;-)

uknortherner2k

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2008, 01:15:27 pm »

Quote from: rose_red;1147135
maybe you can recolour some penicillin and charge for it?? ;-)

Or, create a new penicillin mesh, bork it so that it's either invisible in-game, has huge gaps or has a super low-resolution texture in fluorescent green or yellow. Also don't forget the heavily touched-up photoshopped image that makes the object in question look super-good until you've parted over the cash and seen how bad it looks in-game for the two seconds you get before it kills the game altogether!

Also, offer no refunds, technical support or anything else a freesite creator would give! Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: