Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 01:41:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan Sites Must Be Destroyed!  (Read 55332 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
rose_red

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2008, 01:35:40 pm »

hehe you said it way better than I did uknortherner2k!

Every rose has its thorns :angel:
ísarah

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2008, 10:45:17 am »

There's no excuse for paysites, they claim the money goes toward hosting. But it isn't really that expensive to host an individual website anymore (i.e. anything other than large group efforts and very large sites like Insim & MTS2), costs have gone down considerably over the years as more and more people open websites and blogs.

Domain name: $10-20 (so let's say average $15) /year ($1.25/month)
Site hosting: $5-30/month depending on whether you choose shared or dedicated server (only very large sites need dedicated servers), so let's say average $17.50/month.
File hosting: you can get a Rapidshare premium account for hosting your files (each file can be up to 2000 MB) at $86/year, or $7/month.

So an economic, but very functional site can cost around $25.75/month if you shop around and do your homework. How does someone justify a site like Peggyzone.com offering donation scheme from $10-70? Or Carla Niven offering a sub for $15/month? :smt120

If it is expensive for them, it actually HELPS them in the long run in improving the quality of the downloads. If they pay the cost themselves they are forced to only release the best of the best. If they offer really beautiful downloads for free, they can put a 'help us out' PayPal button & people will show their support financially. On the other hand, if you look at a mega huge subscription site like TSR they have about 10% - 15% really talented Featured Artists making the best high-end stuff (usually for pay) and the rest 85% - 90% is page after page of gappy hairs and fugly recolors and stuff that looks like it was made in MS Paint. Paysites become quantity before quality.:sad4:

"Well, I'm not rich. Do you think only rich people should be able to have Sims 2 websites?!" Kinda, yeah. That's how the world works.

Newsflash: Anyone who can afford a computer capable of playing the Sims 2, a high speed internet connection, the Sims 2 game + the Expansion packs ($50-18 apiece), has a PayPal account (thus obviously a credit card or bank account), programs like Poser 7 (expensive), Milkshape ($25-40 depending on where and when you bought it) and Photoshop (expensive) is probably not a starvin' Marvin in a hut somewhere. And if they really are poor and are using any sort of pirated software to make their custom content, I don't think they have any right to complain when someone shares their pay content on a site like PMBD.

:smt120
Gary'sWife

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2008, 03:36:20 pm »

Sarah, you are my hero.
X-tin

Oh yes another victim, come right in!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2008, 03:47:08 pm »

In our russian forum http://www.prosims.ru we're speaking about it. And our administrator think, that we can get pay objects from PMBD.
 Yeah of cours it was long discussion with Janna from vitasims...but if we can, why we mustn't download it?
 Lena from inbeatz and Regina from justsims have PMBD's banner - I'm respect they both.

In our site we have translation - http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fprosims.ru&langpair=ru|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I'm not take any requests, cause I have more than enough ideas and unrealized projects.
You can recolor my works, include them in file, just give credit with a link.
Upload to Free sites only.

http://www.lastfm.ru/user/ChristineMcGee
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2008, 01:56:42 pm »

Moderation notice: This thread has had posts removed and/or moderated.

a word of warning to any who do not understand that this is a joke post - it's a joke post.  Not a venue for you to post your opinions about pay-sites.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
RoyalT
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:05 am »

Hehe, I love it.
EgyptianGoddess

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:21 pm »

ok I am confused..ppl are saying paysites are bad, ppl are saying paysites are good, there's a petition against paysites that you have to pay to sign, pls nobody read this and respond all mean that is not what I am here for I'm just saying all this is confusing. There are specific sites that I HATE like TSR I hate them for taking 30 bucks of my hard earned money for puke green furniture,etc but there are things I have paid for that I feel were worth it, they are wonderful additions to my game that I know I could not make myself I mean let's face it I'm too new at all this. I dont know, to each their own I guess.

Coffee in England is just toasted milk.  ~Author Unknown
:happy8:
" It is better to be hurt by others than to be the one hurting them. It may seem forgivable to others but mistakes are bound to be remembered for eternity, even in the deepest part of Hades."
Plum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2008, 11:22:49 pm »

You'll notice this conversation happened over a year ago, but let me see if I can help your confusion, EgyptianGoddess:

Some people argue that paysites are bad because, firstly, they're based on the premise of selling copyrighted material, and, secondly, it undermines the idea of "community."

Others argue that paysites are good because some people who make money off it need money for various reasons.  And, apparently, whatever means they use to get that money is acceptable, legal or otherwise.  And anyone who disagrees with that is "a morally deficient kleptomaniac."

*goes back to selling Mickey Mouse drawings for $10 a pop to feed her chilluns*
hjkjr2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:51 am »

Just wondering if Greg ever found that fedora & suit...:worship:
EgyptianGoddess

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2008, 06:39:03 pm »

lol yeah I know the convo happened like forever ago,but I also knew someone would drop by to read and comment back...

Coffee in England is just toasted milk.  ~Author Unknown
:happy8:
" It is better to be hurt by others than to be the one hurting them. It may seem forgivable to others but mistakes are bound to be remembered for eternity, even in the deepest part of Hades."
whitewaterwood

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2008, 03:15:15 pm »

I'll admit I had to read it twice before it got through my thick skull. By now I laugh. Hard.

Death to fansites!
hopawaay109

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2008, 11:45:44 am »

was this discouraging using "paysites must be destroyed" or is this discouraging paysites?

sorry if i'm dumb, but i've been reading through the comments, and i still can't tell what the author really meant...

technically, pure paysites, meant merely to make a profit, shouldn't exist, due to that clause in user agreements you get when you install the game...but i can understand donations being requested our of need...
this whole issue is just multifaceted, it's hard to decide which side is right...

i think people need to step back and stop judging. there are far more important things to be concerned about than paysites/freesites for fan made custom content.

I'm not saying one side is wrong or right, just try and calm down, and enjoy the game and the lovely content that is out there.

"And that's why you never make assumptions...because you make an ass out of you and mumptions." :asshole:

See my retro/music inspired sims 2 creations here :rr:

Looking for Sim contests? Go to Simoasis! :]
hopawaay109

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2008, 02:13:19 pm »

nevermind...i think i get it...lol

"And that's why you never make assumptions...because you make an ass out of you and mumptions." :asshole:

See my retro/music inspired sims 2 creations here :rr:

Looking for Sim contests? Go to Simoasis! :]
aqua-sheep
Plaid Freak

View Profile WWW
OMG
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 07:49:16 pm »

Quote from: longonions;667434
-flips hair- Like, I totally agree. Poor people smell, and no one should smell. I mean, people, like, aren't designed to smell. And they seem to, you know, think alot. They must all have headaches, because I totally get a headache when I think too much. I think my, what do you call it. Starts with an A. Money counter guy. Him. He always looks like he has a headache. -pops gum- I'm off to my volunteer group now. I have this tot bitchin idea to help homeless people. Wanna hear it? I know you do! -giggles-
I think we should, you know, give homeless women manicures with acrylic nails. Then, if they had clean hands and pretty nails, they'll be like, inspired to get normal, and stop digging in trash and wearing clothes that are actually from the seventies. I mean, come on, everyone knows that real vintage is so so horrible. Foo, uh.. I mean faul.... uh... That word that means fake. Fake vintage is tot cool though.

(Damn, I got carried away.)

Oh Mai Gawd!! That sounds exactly like something I would say.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: