Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mods/hacks on Mac  (Read 3421 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:05:29 am »

The one I DO need to know if works, is the CEP.

Wich hacks/mods DOESNT work on mac?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 04:56:48 pm by Mi-chii » Logged

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:57:17 pm »

I rephrased the question, maybe it will be easier for people to answer me now Smiley

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Marhis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 06:18:19 am »

Oops, sorry, I thought I had answered that in the other post. Anyway, maybe I can explain it better: any hack works, there's no difference whatsoever.

The only random difference you may experience - as some users reported - is for hacks that have to be loaded in game sorted in a specific way.
I mean, e.g. hack2 must load after hack1, and stuff like this. Usually this kind of hacks are in their own subfolder, or have the name changed with a "z" in the beginning, so they alphabetically came last.
In my experience, though, I've never had any issue with them: I follow specific creator's instruction and all goes well.
In any case, if a hack doesn't works for this reason, it's not a hack issue, but usually only a name issue, and it can be solved easily renaming the file.

Just to add a bit of infos, this may happen because of some differences in the way Win and Mac (Unix) filesystems apply the default alphabetical sort. Differences may be e.g. all folders before single files, capitalized names before the others, and so on.
You may have systems that sort stuff in these two ways:

Example 1
Code:
A_file
B_file
C_file
a_file
b_file
c_file

Example 2
Code:
A_file
a_file
B_file
b_file
C_file
c_file

Their succession would be different.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:19:13 am by Marhis » Logged
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:58:29 pm »

Im sorry, I don't really understand... How do I know wich hacks should go "first" and wich should go "last" and such?

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Marhis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:51:14 am »

If a hack needs to be loaded in a fixed order, usually the modder himself writes that in its post/readme about the mod: you don't need to worry too much beforehand Smiley.

However, that issue is quite rare, and very unlikely to happen anyway. You may suspect this issue, eventually, if a hack should work and it does not, if all other regular checks are okay (compatibility, EPs needed, etc.). If, after all the tests, it still doesn't work, then you may think about that additional detail.
But, again, probability is you'll never experience that issue. So, go ahead happy Smiley.
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 06:20:39 pm »

Horray!

I found out by myself that the CEP works, got it installed.

Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: