Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 09:46:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible that downloadig to much will damage my game?  (Read 2416 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
sarah.fortson

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2007, 11:10:41 pm »

Recently i have been downloading new meshes, objects, sims, clothes and houses for The Sims 2 and i was wondering if downloading to much will damage or crash my sim game. When i try to play in residences and community lots my game never stops loading (the screen remains loading and won't start), I tried to play in one of my lots and i waited about 40 minutes for my game to start. I restarted my computer twice and deleted some downloads i really don't need and the problem won't stop. The window opens/starts to create-a-sim mode so i think the problem isn't that bad i hope. I even created a family and everything , also i tried to build a house on a lot but i only waited 15 minutes for it to load because i wanted to try a new method to figure out how to fix my game or find the problem.~IF ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND KNOWS HOW TO FIX IT PLEASE HELP ME ~
wyntersdarkness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:23:25 pm »

When you have a huge amount of stuff in your game, the game will take forever to load, but it will load. It may seem like the splash screen has frozen or something. That's not the case. Look at the HD light on your tower. Is it flashing? If yes, then good. That means that your hard drive is working hard to load all  your stuff into the game. My advice to you is to make sure that there's nothing running in the background (except the required processes). You should even disable your internet connection. Then, start the game. Let it load!!! It will take a while before you see any loading on the splash screen. As long as your HD light is lit/blinking, then your computer is fine. If the game truly freezes up, the HD light will be off and more than likely your mouse will freeze up as well.

.:Embrace the pain behind my lips:.
tophatdan

iam a superhero in real life...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:30:42 pm »

if you clean up your downloads from time to time it should never be a real problem, unless you downloaded something seriously corrupted

i cut the non sticky personal ads out of newspapers and burn then for inspiration
mizzhyphywifey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:54:54 am »

this happened to me. i had to move my downloads to the desktop and put in custom content section by section, untill i found the corupted file. but first i would try taking out only the downloads that u recently put in your game (list by date) that made your game get stuck on the loading screen. if that doesnt work you gotta do it the other way. its somewhat a pain in the butt but it works everytime.

nothin\' compares 2 the satisfaction, that i feel when we out mashin\'
tophatdan

iam a superhero in real life...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:59:28 am »

lol@mizz i had to do that once too

i cut the non sticky personal ads out of newspapers and burn then for inspiration
veash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:05:50 am »

After adding alot of custom content in one session, the groups.cache file can and often does get corrupted.  Go to MyDocuments/EAGames/TheSims2 and delete groups.cache.  The game will make a new one the next time you run it.
      If you downloaded alot of hacks or mods, some of them might be conflicting with each other.  You can unknowingly install hacks/mods by downloading custom houses and lots, the creator may not know or realize he/she is including them with download.  The Sims2 Exchange is notorious for this.  Download and run the Sims 2 Hack Conflict Detection Utility:
http://www.simwardrobe.com
     You should also download the Sims2Pack Clean Installer from here:http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/
This will help you sort out your Downloads folder and see what's what.  Items highlighted in red are hacks/mods and items in pink are duplicate files.
     Alot of custom content relies on the use of CEP.  You can get that here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=92541
     I've seen posts where people have said they have over 14000 files in their Downloads folder and over 10 gigs worth.  They've also said it takes upwards of 45 minutes just to load their game.  The more custom content you add, the longer it takes to load.  Alot depends on how much RAM and disk space you have on your system too.  There's no known limit to the amount of custom content you can have, but you have to make sure the downloads don't conflict with each other.
     Moving the Downloads folder to your desktop and then slowly adding files back into it is a tried and true (and time consuming) method.  Eventually you will find the problem file(s).  The above steps should help you find them a little quicker.
Semra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 06:07:36 am »

Sounds like you have some corrupted stuff. Try using the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true cheat in the neighbourhood view before entering any lots.

By the way, I have nearly 19000 items in my Downloads folder and it usually takes around 20 minutes to load my game... everything still works fine though once it's loaded. Smiley

Download Semra / Clare / Scarlet / Paige / Gravis[/FONT]
tylersada

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 03:51:20 pm »

Quote from: Sharura;698235
Sounds like you have some corrupted stuff. Try using the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true cheat in the neighbourhood view before entering any lots.

By the way, I have nearly 19000 items in my Downloads folder and it usually takes around 20 minutes to load my game... everything still works fine though once it's loaded. Smiley

Wow,

How do you sort through 19,000 items in the catalog?   I love to download but get really frustrated trying to go through the catalog looking for different items.

Sims Mommy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: