Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 02:08:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much RAM do you recommend???  (Read 2024 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Jay1646

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2007, 02:02:50 pm »

So im in the market for buying some RAM for my PC

i already have 256mb, but my game runs so slow right now its unplayable

So what do u guys recommend?? I'm thinking about buying a 512mb so i'll have 768mb in total

But i want to be sure thats fast enough, so i need you guys advice

BTW i the only EP i have is Nightlife if that helps

thanks
tylersada

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:44:02 pm »

I have 1 Gig of ram and am thinking of upgrading to 2 Gigs.  Your video card has a lot to do with your computer running slow.  You need a good video card as well as adequate ram.  I now have 256 MB video card and am considering going to a 512 MB.  If you have all EP's and stuff packs.   It puts a big strain on smaller video cards.  I do see you said you only have night life so you don't have the same problems I do with all the EP's etc.  Check the drivers for your video card if you have not already done so.  I download new drivers as soon as they are available.

Sims Mommy
PrincessJen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:47:41 pm »

I had a 256MB Ratheon video card, and 512MB of Ram, I had all the Ep's including Pets, but it ran slow. But it did work. I have since upgraded everything and now have 1Gig or Ram and a 512MB Ratheon Video card, I have Seasons now and it still runs pretty fast.

Don't ask for updates, when Squinge updates them, you will find them here > Squinges Mods Rock!
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:11:19 pm »

One thing you don't mention is how many slots your computer has for memory.  Computers are usually built with memory slots in pairs, so you'll have either 2 or 4.  Most computers require each pair to have matching memory cards.  With 256 mb of memory, you probably have 2x128mb cards.

If you only have two slots, those two cards become throw-aways.  To replace them, I suggest at minimum 2x512MB cards to give you 1GB total.  If you can afford it, shoot for 2GB of RAM, 5x512MB or 2x1GB.  Not only the game, but Windows and your other apps should speed up.

Keep in mind, more RAM won't improve the graphics all that much.  You video card has a separate pool of memory for graphics.  In older computers, 16KB, 32KB, and 64KB aren't uncommon.  If you're having problems with slow choppy graphics, this could be the problem.  Run DXDIAG (Start, Run, dxdiag, then the Display tab) to see what you've got on your video card.  You'll want at least 128KB with just Nightlife, but if you think you might ever want to add any of the later expansions, get a card with 256KB or 512KB video RAM.
veash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:20:04 pm »

Check out this thread, especially reply #5, it should help you out some.
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=37172
Jay1646

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:58:22 pm »

Hey thanks guys for your advice!!!

Does anyone know of a tool that checks what type of RAM you need?? like DDR, SDDR,etc.

Because im so confused right now lol
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:51:04 pm »

If you don't have the documentation for your computer anymore, you should be able to go to the brand's website.  Docs by model should be in the support or download section.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: