Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:14:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My Sims Games Died.  (Read 4580 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
S1ms2Director

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2007, 02:26:50 pm »

I was playing TS2 this weekend and all, and I decided to reinstall Nightlife cause I uninstalled it ages ago cause it was very scratched. So I played it for a while and it was a'ight (short for alright). But the next day, it didn't work, so I re-uninstalled it (if that made any sense) and went back to using my OFB disc, but that didn't work either, and it turned out SOMEONE (coughcoughmybrothercough) put a big scratch down the middle. I went searching for my original TS2 discs, and I had all of them...but disc 4. So basically, that last disc is missing and I've come to the conclusion that after almost 3 years of playing TS2, I'm not gonna play anymore. Now, I've tried to get unaddicted from TS2, but those attempts failed. Since I don't have the disc, I have no choice but stop playing. I'm not gonna rebuy the discs, and the only friend that has TS2 only has her EP's, not the original. So, unless any of you guys can come up with a solution, I guess it's goodbye.

I know, I'm not very significant on this site (with putting up posts or downloads) but I figure you guys can come up with something.

Thanks, and possibly bye,
S1ms2Director

:pickleride:  Captain Pickle Rides Again!!
PinkSword

hiyaaa.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:40:32 pm »

Uhmm i think you must be in another section to post this thread ?

then i hear your soul , touches me the right way
S1ms2Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:04:22 pm »

No the moderators moved me here.

:pickleride:  Captain Pickle Rides Again!!
smclin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 04:09:13 pm »

That sucks.  I don't have any idea how you can get around buying the cd's again though.

Want to see some Sim Movies? See Some of Mine!
http://www.youtube.com/mclinorama  :smt106
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 04:35:31 pm »

I don't think there is a way, just look on ebay, the sims 2 will be quite cheap now!

Char
xxx

Envy_

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:51:24 pm »

You'll just have to buy it again .. =[
smartass_brat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 04:55:11 pm »

That is one of the things I hate when you can't make a copy, if something happens to the original your SOL.  I've always felt that if they make it were we can't copy it, then it should be up to the maker to either replace the original or give you one at a drastically reduced price.  Because you know there will come a time when the original you bought for $30/$40+ is going to beyond use.

I understand there are those who have abused this privilege by pirating and sharing and therefore the masses are made to suffer.

I know that if this was me, I would be on the phone with Maxis/EA to see about some sort of reimbursement and/or exchange.  Even if I didn't get anything out of it they would have gotten an earful from me (not the underlings, but the higher ups.  If I don't get an answer that satisfies, then I go higher on the food chain as generally those low on the totem pole don't have much leverage to do anything.)

*steps off soapbox*

There is one other option I might do, but that would have to be an extreme case.  Don't ask, I'm sure some already know and have done it themselves.
kinneer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

Yeah. I think the EULA, end user license agreement, states that you do not own the game, but just a license to use the game on one PC. The disk is inmaterial since it just a media for storing the information. So you should be entitled to a replacement disk. Whether EA will provide you will one, and probably at some charge, is unknown.
Mr Heartache

I don't wanna be S.O.L.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 10:51:29 pm »

I had to rebuy the base game, and will have to rebuy nightlife, and university because the discs are all scratched to hell.

I got a basegame/seasons bonus pack thingie for around fifty euros, they're the DVDrom versions, and I have no problems yet. I have the pets DVDrom from the last time round, I reinstalled it tonight with no probs either.

I guess the DVDs are a little better than the CDs. Maybe they're more hard wearing?

It sucks having to rebuy the game, but as I meant to say before going off on a tangent, look around for limited editions packs of the game and expansion pack together, it might be more value for money. And good luck!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:52:53 pm by Skeleton » Logged

DON'T PM ME WITH REQUESTS OR I'LL SEND GERARD WAY AFTER YOU WITH A PITCHFORK.
Now I spit out words, do you see my lungs on the dancefloor?
[/SIZE]
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 03:20:10 am »

Can't you copy CD's as long as it isn't for selling? I have ones which clearly state they are for backup purposes only, but i'm not sure if a copied game would work because i think you have to do something extra to it.

Char
xxx

Marhis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 09:44:41 am »

You don't need to re-buy the game, just ask for discs replacement to EA: they will send you a new copy of those discs and you'll have to pay mail expenses only (they should be around 5 or maybe 10 $, not more).

They need to have some proof of your purchase, of course; you have to tell them your registration numbers.
smartass_brat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 01:41:30 am »

Quote from: CharlieRogan;708635
Can't you copy CD's as long as it isn't for selling? I have ones which clearly state they are for backup purposes only, but i'm not sure if a copied game would work because i think you have to do something extra to it.

Char
xxx

Charlie - Some things you can copy for your own personal use.  Then there are others that the maker locks rendering it incapable of being copied by your average everday Joe/Jane.  This has always made absolutely no sense to me as someone who is going to pirate the game I am quiet sure wouldn't be above hacking their way past the locks.  Thus the person being locked out in effect is the everday Joe/Jane (ie you and I.)  

SD - Seriously, before you go and fork out more money to them (unless you're hiding a money tree somewhere and not sharing), call and see what they can/will do for you.  That is, as long as the game is really yours and can prove it as Marhis said.  If you registered it with EA that would even be better.

I hope you get it all sorted out.
GRIM_REPAIR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 03:13:42 am »

Well, if you feel adventurous you can try a scratch remover kit for CDROM's.   I don't recommend this, but if you already have one try it (read the direction's it's not as easy as it looks).  The liquid versions are better then the nasty/expensive mechanical ones.

Also make sure it's not your CDROM drive itself, my computer gets moved a lot so I keep having my CDROM drives die or cable problems. Try reading the disk on another computer (using Windows Explorer), before you seek a replacement.

The replacement fee for CD's is $13 per CD here:
http://warrantyinfo.ea.com/

Asking nicely speeds the process.   This is probably worth it since the Sims 3 isn't going to be until at least 2009.

Once you get a hold of your CDROM's make your legal backup with a CDROM disk imager/emulator, so you never read from you original CDROM's again, which also makes the game load faster.   DVDROM's can also be backed up and emulated.

If you have to install an earlier expansion, it's best to remove all the expansions after it before installling it.  Say you have Uni, and OFB and want to install NL.  You are going to have to uninstall OFB, install NL, reinstall OFB, and apply patches.   Takes a long time.
missaaliyah

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 04:05:23 am »

I managed to copy the disc, but it can't be run after install cause you need the Disc.  In my case I have the DVD version.  But in your case you would use CD1 I think???

It would work if you did do that, cause you want to use a newer EP with it.

I have never lent my copy to anyone, and would never do that.  Well only if I knew for certain they owned the original game and couldn't load it for some reason.

DO YOU REMEMBER, when with Sims 1, if you couldn't install for some reason, to copy the files to the desktop and install it from there, I wonder cause I did this with Sims 2 once an it worked, cause my CD was scratched.  Since then I bought the DVD version.  It was really cheap, less than £8.
SMohtahn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 09:03:12 pm »

Hey I noticed your thread. Maybe think of this.. how much is happiness worth to you?
If you get enjoyment out of the game.. then don't guilt yourself. If you get carried away then set yourself on a schedule to play only a certain amount of time per day/week.
If the game makes you happy, then buy another copy.

I have no idea if its wrong to back up your own copies of the game so read up on it before doing this but,
As for fixing the disc, since you fixed it, you can copy the content on to your computer using an emulator program.

You make an Image of the cd. This is a virtual image of a cd, OR you can make a hard cd of it, iso style.

You can mount the new image of the disc as cd 1 or use the copy disc,  using an emulator. Or use a no cd required.. emulation type program once you copied the content of your PURCHASED disc.

Again, since you bought the game, and if you cannot call the company.. this might work but google your info for the rights info.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: