Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:12:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone else got a problem with Make a Family?  (Read 3235 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:03:16 pm »

hi there,
hope this is the right place to post this thread.....

Since installing celebration stuff, i cannot make any new sims with make a family!
The University make a family works fine since I've used it yesterday, but the seasons one doesn't load up!!
when I press the make a family button, it start to do its usual thing...but after a little while, it goes back to the neighborhood that I'm playing with!
I've emptied the downloads folder, i took off all my hacks  & it still doesn't load!
I've got all the expansions + all the stuff packs!
I do not understand what's going on......I've used make a family with seasons expansion b4 & it worked fine, so I don't think it's seasons that causing all this ..... now all of a sudden, it's not working anymore....& I'm pretty sure it's since I've added celebration stuff!!
Has anyone else having the same problem?
There's anything that could fix the problem

This thing it's really annoying me since make the family's my daughter favorite part of the game & she's really sad that she can't use it anymore to make her happy families!!!
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:33:13 pm »

If you installed Celebrations after installing Seasons, then you should probably have the Celebrations CD in to play. That could be your problem.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:48:53 pm »

Caffeinated Joy thank you!

But when I've installed celebration stuff, I've tried to play with that CD but it said that it was the wrong one & that I need it seasons to play......I can play without problems 4 hours...my only problem is that it doesn't allow me to make sims with the make a family tool.........I can make students in University......(not sure if I can use the tool from nightlife or any other expansions didn't tried yet!) but when it comes to the "main" make a family...that's it!!!It won't work!!!
And it's driving me crazy!!!!lol
PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:57:26 pm »

It won't let you do that, you have to use Season's. Celebration is just a stuff pack not an EP. I had this problem but it is because I had installed a default replacement. I also couldn't install the patch till I corrected it. Some default replacements are ok, but others will keep you from installing the patches, as well as cause problems should you remove them. I was having this problem installing the season's patch, then I read on MTS2 that using default replacements can keep the patches from installing at all. So I removed it, which did allow me to install the patch, and the Maxis stuff doesn't just come back. Like in my CAF all I had was a floating head, because once I had removed the defualt to install the patch there was no more. The Maxis default did not automatically come back, and on the preview it was a floating head and not of the Sim I was creating. Then in the CAF actual screen it was the Sim I was making. Now I have the default replacement placed back in the game, but there are no more previews. So now I have three choices since I obviously can't get back the original defaults unless I reinstall the game. Plus updating thumbnails did not fix it after I reinstalled the default replacement. That is to go without previews and just click on each thing till I get what I want, or keep it removed and suffer with just a floating head or lastly uninstall and reinstall so I can get the original defaults back. Sad

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:13:52 pm »

Hm...I don't have Celebration stuff pack yet, but with my other stuff packs I've had to use that disk to play until I installed a new ep or sp. For example, after I installed FFS, I couldn't play unless I had that disk in the drive. It was the same with GL.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Sleepycat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:50:12 pm »

they changed it with Celebrations, if you have Pets or Seasons installed then you use the Pets/Seasons disk to load the game.

as for the problem here, Do you have anything in your SavedSims folder?

Crazy Town - home of my Sim stories & SC4 Terrains, Sims, hairy Skintones and some clothes & stuff.
Simbology
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 04:28:48 pm »

PegasusDiana ......I did remove some default replacement skintones lately........but I'm pretty sure that that was about a week ago & I'm pretty sure the problem was already there!!
unluckily I have no idea for how long I had this problem since i play the sims2 for hours but i use make a family just once in a while.....i realised about the problem only because my 6yrs old daughter loves making new sims & she decided to play the game 1 saturday!
So today, when I came back from picking her up from school, I've decided to finally resolve the problem since the week-end's coming & she'll ask me to play......anyway, took off every single download/hack/etc..etc.., start up the game & hit the make a family button all happy & pretty sure that "empty" it will work....well it didn't!!!!  

but you know what? I've still got those default skintones in another folder on my desktop & tomorrow after work I'll put them back in & finger crossed that it'll work!!!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 04:43:46 pm by gorgeous_sim » Logged
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:43:09 pm »

No sleepycat...my Saved Sims folder is completely empty!
I've got my downloads folder organised in subfolders (body shop folder with subfolders for clothing, accessories, hair etc...etc...& the objects folder with subfolders for community lots, residential lots, building, etc....etc...plus, every single object is organised per website too!
all the insimenator downloads are in the inSIMenator folder, MTS2 in the proper folder etc...etc...)....that's why i do not understand what's going on!!!
I really thought the problem was caused by a bad recolor o an hack conflict....I even taken off the collections folder just in case was something in there....but absolutely nothing!!!
I'll try tomorrow with the default replacement skintones....hope it work....
PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:06:35 pm »

Quote from: gorgeous_sim;721021

but you know what? I've still got those default skintones in another folder on my desktop & tomorrow after work I'll put them back in & finger crossed that it'll work!!!

Thank you!

That was my problem default skin replacements, I removed all default replacements, but the skins were my problem. Eyes too, you have to be careful with those eye replacements. Now I have them all re-installed but all I get is these plain blue boxes till I click on each box for the clothing then it changes the clothing, male swimshorts replacements. The skins/eyes I have pet replacements so they don't look like they are squinty are fine, those all showed back up after I updated thumbnails but for some reason the clothing didn't. But, I had to re-install the skins/sim and plantsim to get something besides a floating head. lol

Updated: Don't forget to update your thumbnails after you reinstall your default replacements. See here is my problem with the swimsuits even after I updated the thumbnails. Just a blue box but if I click on them they are there and change.

* noswimsuits.jpg (96.37 KB, 741x630 - viewed 161 times.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:33:54 pm by PegasusDiana » Logged

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
                                         -Luciano de Crescenzo
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 10:47:43 am »

There's a file in My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 called groups.cache which often becomes corrupted or stale, causing all manner of weirdness like this (lots not loading, wardrobe wonkiness, borked thumbnails in body shop and CAS).  The game automatically regenerates it if its missing.  Kind of a long shot, but try deleting it and restarting the game.

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 01:43:12 pm »

hi guys,
thank you for your help.....I've put back the default replacement skintones & I'll start up the game now to see if it'll work......I've already updating the thumbnails...as for the group cache...I delete that @ least once/twice per week...i know it's a bit of a pain so b4 it starts to give me problems again I always delete it & make it regenerates!!!

I'll let everybody know as soon as my game load completely if the replacement skin was the problem!!!

thank you again!
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:49:14 pm »

Nope......it's not working!!!!

I can only make students......that's it!!!
Nothing else!!!

I'll try uninstall Celebration Stuff & see what's going on!!!

I'll come back in a little while.....finger crossed!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 01:25:15 pm by gorgeous_sim » Logged
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 03:44:10 am »

finally!!!!
Yep...I've sorted it out!!! And believe me it was such a stupid mistake to do & I should have thought of it straight away!!!!!

A little while ago I've downloaded a new CAS....well b4 unzipping the new cas, I've renamed the old one as u supposed to do.....anyway, for a reason or another, I forgot to unzip the new cas screen so that's why the make a family wasn't working anymore (& that's explain why I could make students!!!)lol!!!

I came across to this stupid mistake while I was backing up my game, ready to uninstall celebrations Stuff which, obviously, didn't had anything to do with the whole problem!!!!!

I don't know how to thanks everybody for all your help!!!
This place is great (I don't post much, but trust me, I spend here a lot of time reading all the post regarding problems & downloading all the fabolous stuff!!!) take care & big kisses!!!
PegasusDiana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 04:12:48 am »

WTG! I'm glad it worked out for you Smiley

Thank you Jase! I just updated the thumbnails. I'll try removing the groups.cache let it rebuild and see if that fixes my problem.

-Luciano de Crescenzo
gorgeous_sim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 03:34:39 am »

Hi PegasusDiana,
hope you'll sort out your problems soon too.....it must be so frustrating not to be able to see the thumbnails & need to click all the pics to find the right one!!!!

I'll probably get crazy since what I love most is give a "make over" to all my sims!!!

Let us know if u're sorted your problem without reinstall the game.....
I know is a pain to uninstall & reinstall, but sometimes nothing's better than a fresh start.......
I've re-installed everything's twice already in the last 2 yrs....(I do it when I get very bored of the game & I want to give the in-game sims a new "life").......& if you backup all the important folders, it doesn't take much to go back to your game as before!!!

Good luck hun from a very raining London!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: