Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 05:20:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating an Inclined Ramp  (Read 1647 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
purpledaddy

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:37:46 am »

My latest project in a lot that I've been working on for a long time is to create a long passenger ramp to lead to a foundation.  I've tried it by using a foundation and by using a terrain and combinations of the two. When I've  tried to create the ramp through a foundation, I couldn't make a smooth incline.  When I try making one through a terrain I couldn't make a smooth link to a foundation.  Ideas?  Thanks!

Thanks CC'ers & Webmaster for your work.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:29:06 pm »

Unfortunately making a ramp from a foundation or wall for that matter and having it in on the ground doesn't appear to be possible.  That would entail a floor from one level to another.  The game currently only allows stairs to bridge levels like that.  I've wanted one for my toddlers to move from one level to another since the parents left them alone on one floor and for a story I had in the works a long time ago involving a sim in a wheelchair.

Using cfe I've never been able to get a satisfactory spacing between the two elevations that I could live with.  Not to mention not having the actual connection between them for the toddler's movements.  But using by using stairs to connect the ground and higher elevation, then using cfe to basically level the stairs (raising the terrain at the lower end) I was able to build the sloped ground to create the ramp.

Hope this gives you some ideas.  If you do find a way to connect the two elevations with a floor, please share Smiley
purpledaddy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:28:33 pm »

You know the ADA (Americans W/ Disabilities Act), not to mention young'uns and pets is exactly what I had in mind.

I'm still relatively new, so I'm not sure what cfe is yet.  But I am familiar fr other tutorials of using ministairs to find wall height in a foundation and to create modular stairs, so I'll at least experiment w/ that to see what happens.  Thanks!

-----
I just found out fr another tutorial that CFE is refering to ConstrainFloorElevation true/false.  I actually used it in the same lot fr a tutorial that discussed how to make invisible staircases.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:34:25 pm by purpledaddy » Logged

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:12:19 pm »

As there isn't a working wheelchair, using the stairs to create the ramp should work just fine.  Toddlers and young pets won't be able to navigate those those.

I seem to remember a ramp on TSR, but from what I could tell it was in fact a modified staircase.  It would have presented the same obstacles to toddlers.  Not to mention the steep incline that would be no negotiable in a chair.
purpledaddy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:25:25 pm »

Alrighty, After some great feedback fr here and a couple of other forums, here is my current brainstorm:

I'm going to extend the foundation out, do ConstrainFloorElevation False, move the foundation, 5 tiles wide and lowering it, toward the street.  I'm going to stop midway, continue to lower terrain to street level or lower. I'm then going to use terrain paint to color the middle three rows sidewalk color. Then I'll use Roddyaleixo's Invisible Driveway and Extensions at the street.  And then use boolprop locktiles [true/false] to join hopefully join the foundation and driveway on the slope.  If that works then I'll smooth the rest of the terrain and retile the rest and take off the boolprop's.  Any thoughts??  Thanks!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: