Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 07:08:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does this mean?  (Read 2500 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Jude1

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2007, 07:19:20 am »

In my download files there are some files known as OFF FILE. Does anyone know what they are and wether they should be there or not. My game has taken to crashing everytime I go into the bath catagory in buy mode.It never did it before and I've tried everything I can think of short of uninstalling and starting again.

Please help me.
Rue

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:20:36 am »

Quote from: Jude1;727436
In my download files there are some files known as OFF FILE. Does anyone know what they are and wether they should be there or not. My game has taken to crashing everytime I go into the bath catagory in buy mode.It never did it before and I've tried everything I can think of short of uninstalling and starting again.

Please help me.

If the game crashes when you go to the bath category, it means you have some object that for some reason became corrupt within your bathroom downloads. I highly recommend to use the 50 x 50 method to find out which file it is. That means, take out half of your downlaods, load the game, if it still happens, try the other half, if it does not happen then, your file is in the first half... keep doing it this way until you get to it. It may sound lenghty but it´s the only way to find the item. Of course there are things about which you can safely say they are not causing it (hair, clothing, etc), so you may exclude them from your searching to make it quicker. I had exactly the same thing happening, except my game crashed when I went into the light cathegory. I learnt it does not mean anything that this wasn´t happening before. In my case, it was a light that I had for over a year, and that was working perfectly until it strangely started to cause these problems. When I removed it, I redownloaded it and it works now again. Sometimes things get damaged for no reason.

I definitely do not recommend reinstalling before you have tried it without downloads and attempted to find the file. Even if you reinstall, it will still be there and the game will still be crashing.

Read my story:
Awakening
Thiede won the spot of bassist in: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=27739 WHITE CLAUDIA
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:09:19 am »

The .off files are packages that were disabled using Clean Installer.
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:24:40 pm »

Why would clean installer disable packages by itself? They unhealthy?
Because I've been wondering about these packages, that I definitely didn't off myself (pardon the pun). Files I did off myself are usually hacks that don't work with another hack, but I want to keep nevertheless for sometimes I want to use different hacks, depending on what I'm doing right then.

I wondered if I could enable those files, but didn't dare for fear of crashing my game with them. Seems to have been a wise descion. Wink
Soo.. in conclusion, it is possible, that a file breaks once in a while and when I make a full CI scan to find duplicates for example, they are being disabled?
So, if I want those offed packages, I can reinstall them from the original archive, if I still have it and it'll be okay again?
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:57:41 pm »

CI won't disable any files automatically, you have to do it.  If you didn't, perhaps they were included in a lot or compressed file you did install.  I can't imagine them being set to .off any other way.

To reenable those packages just change the extension from .off to .package.  You can do this manually, or using CI.
Jude1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:12:21 pm »

Thanks everyone.
I know I disabled some files so that's what they are.

My solution to my problem was to remove my downloads folder and replace it with an older copy I had backed up.Now it works fine.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help.
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 03:22:28 pm »

Quote from: ancienthighway;728013
CI won't disable any files automatically, you have to do it.

I suspected the game disabled the files. Because I know which files I offed myself. And those I wondered about, definately weren't amongst them.
So my question was basically, if the game did such a thing by itself.

To reenable those packages just change the extension from .off to .package.  You can do this manually, or using CI.

Weellll.... I do know how to rename a file... but I am not sure if I'll be risking my game if I do that. And that is because, see above, I know that I didn't off these particular files myself. So I don't feel that your answer really applies to my case. But it's not that important, I have other issues with my game that annoy me currently. Wink
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:59:58 pm »

disabling hacks won't risk anything Smiley

If you have a question about my mods post it here
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:18:40 pm »

As far as enabling files that were disabled, that really should risk anything long term.  If it "breaks" your game, don't save, and disable them again.  Just to be sure you may want to do this in a 'hood you don't play.  Of course you could always post a list of those disabled packages for comments from others as to whether it's worth it or not.
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 11:24:58 am »

Quote from: Squinge;740760
disabling hacks won't risk anything Smiley

Thank you very much for that sound advice, Squinge. Smiley

But I wondered about disabled files, that are not hacks, because all offed hacks I did off myself for compatibility issues and I know where to find them (very organized folder structure).

I think they are mostly clothes and some objects. But I think I can live without those, if not, I'll follow the sugestion from ancienthighway. Thanks. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: