Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:29:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Paysite Discussion Thread  (Read 75052 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Marhis

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2007, 05:05:33 am »

Of course the EULA is for protecting EA rights, not users', who ever has discussed this point?
Who cares about EA rights? I care about my rights, that are not being mocked and conned.

And of course a site needs money. If I can't afford having a site, I will not.
Or, I will search for an income that allows me to run that site. I can sell something. Fine: now I have a business; smaller as you want, but still a business.
I make a choice.

Now I have to make another choice: selling stuff I can prove I own, with all the annoyances pertaining a business, or go naive and be ready to face the resulting consequences.

The point is that I have to make a choice.

Another point is that noone is forced to have a personal site for sharing their creations; anyone can upload their creations on the Exchange for free. It sucks, I know, but it's completely free.

The money I need for sharing my creations are for having more fun making a site that I like the most, for having a better service on files, for having a personal forum for my friends, without annoying ads and popups... in a nutshell, I do not need any money at all for sharing my stuff.
Again, I have to make a choice.

This "pirate" movement is mostly against people who want every pro (and no cons) without having to make choices, who never do anything to protect their possible rights in the proper way and toward the proper antagonist, and who prefer instead the easiest way to cheat (only a bit, so it can't be bad, right?) on the other community members, and eventually blame those who get aware and complain about.
This choice was easy to take, yeah: the first and only one.

And yes, of course the good ol' days, when all were friends and all those square pegs in round holes shut up and stay hidden in their basements, were oh so good and funny.
Right, shut up, hide the rubbish under the carpet: this will be a problem only for that stupid who will dare to lift the carpet and revealing the mess; who cares how that mess were generated, and how much rotten is now?
Ostrichs should be the merriest living forms in the world.
Dr_Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2007, 07:15:44 am »

The reason I mentioned about the EULA is because the pirate movement uses that as it's basic argument against paysites.

You're right, from our end this is all about choices.

My main complaint against the pirates is that they wish to remove choices from us if they don't approve of those choices.

I choose to let Maxis worry about their EULA and any violations of it, they have a well paid legal team and they certainly don't need my help, nor anyone elses.

I choose to respect the time and effort that someone has put into their creations, whatever their reason for doing it, whether or not I like the end result, and whether or not I approve of they way they want to distribute it.
If they don't want me to have it without paying, then I won't have it.

I myself choose not to pay to download Sims items - but other people are capable to decide for themselves if they do wish to pay for something and who they want to donate to, they don't need me or anyone else to decide for them.
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2007, 08:03:45 am »

I am completely bored with all this paysite drama now. I don't pay for it and won't pay for it however this has gotten completely out of hand. Someone, Dr Pixel I believe, pointed out that anyone who has modified the game has broken the EULA and this is true. So in short all sites, free and pay, are screwed. As much as I love or loved this community the last 6 months or so has caused nothing but grief for many people and have caused them to say to hell with this community and for what? Because someone has a pay file? Boo-freaking-hoo. I support free sites, I always have and always will but with this crusade continuing as it is we are pushing a disrespect for all creators, whether they be for free or for pay, and it has become sickening.
shirokuma

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2007, 08:25:58 am »

If someone is willing to pack up and leave because people support pay sites then they obviously weren't involved with the community for the right reasons. Pay sites have been allowed since the sims 1 days. They won't just go away. People seem to think the the world is wrong just because people don't agree with them. It's usually my way or the highway and that's the problem.

New bird single "BATUCADA" out 7/4!!
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2007, 06:07:53 pm »

Quote from: shirokuma;794063
If someone is willing to pack up and leave because people support pay sites then they obviously weren't involved with the community for the right reasons. Pay sites have been allowed since the sims 1 days. They won't just go away. People seem to think the the world is wrong just because people don't agree with them. It's usually my way or the highway and that's the problem.

Very well said!  I was just thinking this a few minutes ago, then saw your post.  Wink

This is the way I think of it: For some, being against paysites is just a natural reaction. It's always been human nature to be highly critical of something we'd have to give money in order to receive.

Like I said above in my post, those were some of my original reasons.  As of right now, (Like kathy) I no longer care as much and still won't pay for CC.  Sites can disappear if they want to, but I sure won't cry about it any longer.  (Besides, my laptop is doing enough of that for me.  It has its share  of downloads to the point the game just breaks a random file and will not open...)  I could reiterate this all day:  It's just a game.  I have more important things to worry about now days, instead of having to worry about not being able to get content from someone who doesn't want me to have it in the first place.  Sometimes, I wish others would follow suit, but that's up to them, not me.  :icon9:

By stating that, though, it doesn't mean I agree with the censoring of the situation.  It may be talking in circles to many, but closing the topic doesn't really give everyone that wants to state something the chance to participate or ask questions. There are still a lot of people coming into the community just as clueless as ever about this whole conflict on "free vs. pay."  I know if someone were like me, they'd want to know what's up and choose what they want to avoid.  Wink

purpledaddy

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2007, 09:49:50 pm »

Are people really not participating as part of The Sims fandom b/c of arguing whether or not website should charge for custom content??   And all this time I thought that the rivalries and jealousies between teams of custom content creators w/in the Sim City fandom  (there's a weird but hot and ongoing controversy about the inclusion/exclusion of dependency files in SC custom content) was pretty goofy.  

Oh well, as long the games themselves aren't busting my computer, I appreciate what everyon contributes but I'll enjoy the games whether or not they do!

Thanks CC'ers & Webmaster for your work.
emma_barrett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2007, 07:15:57 am »

my opinion is this - i personally would not suscribe to a paysite when i cant get just as good items for free.
i find it a little greedy of some people to charge when it is perfectly possible to do it for free - there are many free sites out there to back up my thinking on this!
i think the debate about whether is legal or not will go on forever with ea legal doing very little about it until sims 3 comes out then hopefully they'll make it clearer what thier thoughts are ......

i dont disaprove of pirate sites - it is true that ea have confirmed they are not breaking any laws so i cannot see why they can be condemned so long as they dont claim credit for themselves ... which (in most cases) they dont, every item is clearly marked as to where it came from ...

and thats my 2 cents worth Smiley

kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2007, 04:07:15 am »

Quote from: emma_barrett;796035
my opinion is this - i personally would not suscribe to a paysite when i cant get just as good items for free.
i find it a little greedy of some people to charge when it is perfectly possible to do it for free - there are many free sites out there to back up my thinking on this!
i think the debate about whether is legal or not will go on forever with ea legal doing very little about it until sims 3 comes out then hopefully they'll make it clearer what thier thoughts are ......

i dont disaprove of pirate sites - it is true that ea have confirmed they are not breaking any laws so i cannot see why they can be condemned so long as they dont claim credit for themselves ... which (in most cases) they dont, every item is clearly marked as to where it came from ...

and thats my 2 cents worth Smiley
To be quite frank EA isn't confirming or disconfirming anything. You have various people getting varying responses from varying people and even when someone lucks out and gets a response from the same person they contradict themselves so who knows what they have to say on the matter.

Frankly I don't care enough to listen anymore. Donate, don't donate, pay don't pay. Just drop the legality of the issue already because obviously this has been going on since the Sims 1 and nothing has been done so it is more and more apparent they either don't care or can't be arsed with taking any "legal action" on the matter.

Bottom line it was remotely amusing for about 5 minutes when the paysite content was being redistributed and people were downloading like mad but as usual the drama continues to grow and has sucked the life out of this community.

People are growing more and more belligerent with their demands for free content and both free and paysites are feeling the pressure. There hasn't been one site owner I have spoke to lately who hasn't felt the financial impact and are considering alternative means including closing shop all together.

Think about that next time you are thinking gimme, gimme, gimme.
purpledaddy

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2007, 05:41:34 am »

I would think that if EA Games actually cared one way or the other then action probably have been taken by now.  Meanwhile it sounds like the webmasters are stressing out over the viability of the fansites.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:40:07 am by purpledaddy » Logged

Thanks CC'ers & Webmaster for your work.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2007, 12:01:51 pm »

You know, the whole reason I love The Sims™ and The Sims™ 2 is they provide escape from the bad things in the world. A place to make my ideal world with no crime, no poverty, no death, no prejudice, no ugliness.  In the Sims community, I discovered a huge number of people who felt as I did.  We were all of us battered and bruised enough by the real hurts of this world, and we needed this little thing to help us make it through to the next day.

But nothing good endures.  As with all sorts of fandom, you end up with people who start falling prey to the age old arguments of any fandom: FIAWOL (Fandom Is A Way of Life) and FIJAGDH (Fandom Is Just A God Damned Hobby).  Just like in science fiction fandom, you had people deciding they would make a living at it with exactly the same sort of hateful amateur versus professional conflict.  The same cultish sectarianism as was created by L. Ron Hubbard and his supporters.  The parallels are really quite striking.

I have never been able to reconcile the fact that a thing that has the power to bring out the best in people has equal power to bring out the worst in people.  Maybe, just maybe, I have some stubborn innocence and naiveté left that won't die quietly, but it seems to me that if you are given the choice to behave like a civilised human being or not, the former would be the natural choice.  Facts speak rather the opposite if I measure the data correctly.

So here we stand in the middle of a war zone, a community divided against itself over a game.  Why?  Is it as Inge says: "A game about a game?"  Are we all really so bored and jaded and lacking in real life matters of importance that this can seem important?  What about the starving child?  The homeless family?  The inequality and prejudice of the world?  Have these been solved while I wasn't looking?  I really don't know, it defies all logic and explanation.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Nouk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2007, 01:04:42 pm »

People are entitled to their own opinions. Someone doesn't find it important, someone else does. People also make their own decisions. I decide to talk about my opinion and give information about people. What they do after that, is up to them.

Or should we all shut our mouths untill Earth is free of hunger? Ofcourse there are more important things. But they don't have anything to do with this. That argument is what we call a 'dooddoener' in Dutch. It's one of those cliche things people say sometimes.

Quote from: beosboxboy;798207
So here we stand in the middle of a war zone, a community divided against itself over a game. Why? Is it as Inge says: "A game about a game?" Are we all really so bored and jaded and lacking in real life matters of importance that this can seem important? What about the starving child? The homeless family? The inequality and prejudice of the world? Have these been solved while I wasn't looking? I really don't know, it defies all logic and explanation.

Sometimes I think people call it a 'warzone' simply because everyone doesn't agree with everyone, and they need to complain about it. If you don't get yourself involved with all the crap that's being pulled (like guestbook spamming or writing annoying letters, to even harrasing or hacking) then you're fine.

The people who pull stuff like that are in a vast minority, and are out to blow this thing up. Will you let them, by giving it constant attention? I made that mistake once too often.

People, arguments can get heated, one cannot convince another. What do you do? You stop talking about it.
But if others still want to talk about it, leave them to talk about it. Don't call the whole discussion a war and keep returing to say that over and over again... mixing yourself someone elses discussion about a topic you don't care for, just to complain about the discussion itself, how does that help you OR them? It just becomes a mess.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 01:34:18 pm by Nouk » Logged

tragedymcneil

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2007, 07:56:00 am »

Well I have read over this thread and read beosboxboys site. I don't like pay sites, not just because of their outrageous pricing, but because often their content isn't worthy of being in a thrift store rejection pile and if it is, its more then likely stolen from someone else. But we have to remeber, the pay site owners don't force us to buy their things, we choose to buy it, and if we are that dumb or desperate for a virtual object, its our own fault, not theirs. Beosboxboy is right, EA is a company, they get involved it can go really bad. I personally wouldn't care if I lost all the objects or clothes, or hairs 90% of what I download clothes or object wise never looks like it did in the paint shoped picture. You think as a graphic artist I would realise that before downloading it. But I would die if I had to deal with maxis skin tones and eyes. Makeup I need too but I can live without that. So I don't want EA to get involved. Why can't the community just band together and boycott pay sites if they want to bring them down so much? I'm sure this is already happening as I have stumbled across several sites endorsing such a boycott. Its a simple concept, you don't like it, don't buy it. Eventually if a business has no customers or very few, they shut down.
djslippyman

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2007, 05:47:29 pm »

Well PMBD is basically not only urging a boycott and encouraging free sites but is giving an alternative for those who feel they "must" have a particular item. Its better for all those involved (except the paysite) if people take their business elsewhere or can simply pick up said file for free. There really is no reason to buy cc unless you plan on "freeing it" and sharing it on the booty for others.

Cheesy Simposium The Ultimate Guide for Poses and Animations Cheesy
baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2007, 09:14:36 pm »

I cannot create anything. All my efforts wind up looking like the dog's barfed up breakfast. I have contributed to paysites for things I wanted and did so as my way of thanking the creator. I cannot even begin to understand the amount of time involved in creating some of the wonderful things the Sims Community has offered us. I may be the minority here, but I understand why someone would want to be paid for all their efforts. It is a matter of choice, either you will pay for something you want or you won't. As for EA to actually do something about their copywrite, c'mon, the game has been around for a very long time, and they have yet to do a single thing. I think they know without custom content the game would not be as interesting and their sales would plummet. I think if you created something unique it should be your property and your decision as to whether you sell it or post it on a free site. If yu make a profit, so be it, if your creation is a disaster, so be it. That's the real world.
We all have a choice, and should respect each person's choice.
As for EA, well their product is not the best they could do, but as long as we buy it flaws and all, we are encouraging them to keep putting out less than their best.

I stalk...... oh no, I mean I worship the Hack_Mastah, Squinge :worship:
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2007, 11:16:20 pm »

I think for me, it's the fact that EA says that you may not profit from selling the custom content, sis of mine. Cover bandwidth costs, yes. Profit, no. And like you, I can't make squat for the game except a mess! I do bless all of the people who can make custom content but I am picky. Some are better than others. For example, I prefer Yakov's work to someone else who happens to be on a paysite. That isn't because Yakov's is free, though that is a bonus, but it's because he takes time and effort to make the stuff he has, he lets his talent shine. If I could pay him in brownies, I would. I think that's how I would pay anyone, though... But, some of the pay content I've seen doesn't appeal because it just doesn't look right in my game, or it breaks my game, you get the idea. I guess my thing is that if you're going to profit from pixels, they ought to be on a game disk. Sorry, you can hate me if you wish, but it will break my heart if you do. We just have different ways of believing, really. I'm not rabid, I'm not out to harm anyone, I'm not even going to spit in your eye if you are pro-paysite. I'm just going to say that I don't think the same way and leave it at that and hope the friendships that I have made because of this game endure.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: