Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 10:48:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with downloaded Objects  (Read 4153 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
bijou85

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:32:58 am »

Hi!
 I experienced a problem with downloaded stuff..and not bodyshop content but furniture and objects.
I saw there were some hacks that probably blocked the game..it didn't enter in the houses...to be sure I took out barely everything and I've got no more stuff to create a decent house but maxis stuff.
I'm really disappointed 'cause I always loved to create houses.
I was wondering about the number of downloads..is there a limited storage for this...always talking about objects?
I f someone could enlighten me I would be very grateful! :-P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:28:29 pm by bijou85 » Logged

VISIT THE BEST AND ONLY ROCKABILLY/RETRO PIT FOR The Sims 2:[/SIZE][/COLOR]
"http://www.cherrybomb.co.nr/"
[/SIZE][/FONT]
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 02:02:35 pm »

The only limit to how much CC you have in your game is your computer's resources and your tolerance for lengthy load times.  I know of no hacks that will prevent certain CC from loading, outside of some of Jordi's to prevent the weird clothing EA provides.

I use the game furniture almost exclusively.  I do have a couple of custom pieces of furniture, but I tend to stay away from it because I've run into so many that have oversized meshes that block actions on nearby and sometime not so nearby objects.  Custom windows and doors on the other hand, along with wall coverings and floors, are in my game.
DannyRock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 02:34:38 pm »

If the CC furniture isn't showing up, then you probably forgot to download the necessary meshes... Though a lot of custom furniture is based on Maxis meshes, some of it does require custom meshes... I used to furnish my houses with only stock maxis stuff but now use mostly CC stuff... The Maxis based CC is the easiest to work with since it doesn't usually have the problem of having oversized meshes...
bijou85

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 08:49:52 am »

Danny I think to know what is a mesh, thanks..:-)
Where can I find the information about the virtual memory?
In other words...how can I see the download limit??
And above all..how can I improve it???

[/SIZE][/FONT]
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:37 am »

From what I gather there is no limit per se. You will noticed an increased load time and lagging if you have too much cc in your game but I have seen people report having as much as 30gbs of cc in their game with no problems. You haven't already I would run Clean Installer and see what mods you have installed and delete anything that is highlighted in pink. Also how many files do you have?
Vampyre

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:17:26 am »

Yes what Kathy said.

If this shouldn't work the only other option you'd have would be to start removing things until you find out what's causing it.

I'd look at the most recent things first and work my way back.

That will tell you what it was... albeit not necessarily easy!  Wink
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 09:19:08 am »

Are you using a Macintosh computer?

For the Mac version of The Sims 2, you will encounter about a 2000 file limit if only The Sims 2 is installed and you do not patch the game.

Also, for the Mac version of The Sims 2, if you have patched the game or installed any Expansion Packs, then you will encounter about a 12000 file limit.

getting more than 12000 files to work requires changing a memory setting in OSX. changing the "vurtual memory" setting on a Mac requires software that allows you to create, read, and edit hidden system files.  For this I use Onyx.

Log-in as root. Start OnyX and tell it to display hidden files. Finder will restart, wait until Finder has restarted and completely displays before proceeding.

Go into Macintosh HD and find the folder etc and open the file rc.local in text, create this file if it does not already exist.

Add these lines or edit them if you have something similar.

sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=102000
sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=100000

You must set kern.maxfiles 2000 higher than kern.maxfilesperproc.
If you need to have more files open, use a higher number, example:

sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=202000
sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=200000

Save the file to your desktop (uncheck if no extension is provided, use ".txt") then move it into the etc folder.

Return to OnyX and restore the settings to not show hidden files. Restart the computer.

Instructions for changing the virtual memory settings of a PC can be found here:

{English} How to set performance options in Windows XP
{Italian} Impostazione delle opzioni relative alle prestazioni in Windows XP

Also, it is to be remembered that each thing you download may have an Expansion Pack requirement.  If you do not have the required Expansion Pack, then the object will not display, or if it does, it may display incorrectly, not work, or crash the game.  This is true of both the Mac & PC versions of the game.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:22:15 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
bijou85

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:03:56 pm »

Thank you all! I have Windows XP and about 2 GB of download (6.520files).
I think it's not so much! I have clean installer and I've already looked at the dangerous files and it was all right.
I put in my folder about 1000 files of object to try and the game didn't work at all!!! Maybe I have to insert them gradually.
I don't know...What do you say about that?

[/SIZE][/FONT]
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

well - 1000 new objects can be a big burden for the catalogue function to sort.  Maybe a few at a time, and maybe you will find the bad one?

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
bijou85

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 06:55:27 am »

Ok, I'm really frustrated!...I tried with 90 items and the loading window has stopped before seeing the quartiers window.
Maybe I have to put 10 files or something like that but...it takes centuries!!!!
How do people to build houses with so many objects and handle them in the game??
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:57:57 am by bijou85 » Logged

[/SIZE][/FONT]
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 01:07:48 am »

Bijou - can you tell me what expansion packs you have installed? how much RAM?  how much free space on your hard drive?  What anti-virus programme you are using? and what "stuff packs" you have installed?

DannyRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 01:28:19 am »

If it's not loading with the files you most likely have something in your downloads folder that's not compatible with the EP's that you have... I just had that problem... Luckily I had made a copy of my downloads folder a few weeks ago so I was able to reinstall most of my CC and used my history to track down most of the stuff that I was missing...

Sometimes, depending on the amount of ram you have installed, the game might take some time to load... My Downloads folder is about 6GB so it takes quite a few minutes for my game to load...even with 2GB of ram. If I have a bad file, then the game will stop about halfway through "proscribing plebeian palates" which actually happens to a lot of people with GLS installed...

When I download CC now, especially rar files,  I download the files to another folder and then copy them to the downloads folder so if there's an incompatible file, I can easily track it down and remove it...
bijou85

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 11:31:56 am »

I did the same exact thing, the game didn't work 'cause I didn't notice that some objects were not compatible..they required Pets.
So I took them out but then another strange thing happened: I downloaded some files that were claimed compatible with my ep and that were not dangerous but didn't load...so I took them out too and now it's working.
I think some object creates a sort of block with other objects from different sites.
Thanks for the attention! It has been a hard work!!:-))

[/SIZE][/FONT]
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 01:01:41 am »

Bijou - what you describe sounds like a GUID conflict.  This can happen for a variety of reasons, but it does happen.  Some part within the file has a number that is identical to a part in another item and it wreaks havoc on the game.

I have had recolours of the expensive Maxis refrigerator that showed up as clothing, and hair recolours that showed up as coffee table recolours because of GUID conflicts.

This is all related to the catalogue function of the game that sorts the custom content of the downloads folder.  Sometimes (not always) deleting the thumbnail packages will resolve this; other times deleting the Groups.cache and Accessory.cache (Accessory.cache only occurs if you have Pets EP or Seasons EP) will resolve the matter.  In all, the game can just get unstable because you have too many things in the Downloads folder (this is especially true of the Mac version of the game).

I know that opinions differ on what is the best thing to do to keep the game in best working order; but I do recommend keeping all downloads isolated until you have scanned them with SimPE for GUID conflicts and package health, then once you have established the files are diseased in some way - then move then in groups of no more than 100 to the Downloads folder.

I also understand your frustration about creators not clearly indicating what is required for their items.  It is a mind boggling matter even for creators because SimPE sometimes does things that are unintelligible - like including Pets EP bits even though you have set the preferences to NOT do that.  Other times, creators simply don't know how to change the preferences to make items all-versions compatible, I was several months understanding the way it is done because one person would explain it leaving out step 4 and another would explain it leaving out steps 2 or 3.

I am not bitching about their help, nor am I defending creators for not explicitly informing us of the requirements for downloads.  It is a dissatisfactory situation for everyone.  Until SimPE or some other utility comes along that can test and inform us clearly that we need such-and-such EP for the item we downloaded, we will all face the sort of trouble you have encountered.

bijou85

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 06:00:22 am »

Thanks beosboxboy! Now the game is working and I think I won't put something else in my folder.
The game started to work when I took out stuff from the same creator.
I don't believe it was dangerous...but probably creates the conflict we said.
..However it's never happened to show up coffee tables in hair place!!Ahah!
What happens if I delete the groups.cache?

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: