Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 04:48:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorials for "Dummies" Series: Genetic eyes  (Read 17884 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
dewshine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 10:56:54 am »

If your eye package has many colors inside one package that might be a problem.  

The other eye package file I looked at that was not showing up in CAS but in bodyshop had many eyes inside a single package file and only showed up there.  on the evidence I see I almost think this is similar.

However, you say that the ones set to 4 are working so that is your issue. Um.  It's hard for me to tell what is going on without a package to look at.  

If you don't want them NPC ready you could try leaving off that step, and just do the genetic values.  I do wonder if perhaps (and I don't know this for sure) barcelonista copied package files in SimPE and altered the image file instead of going through bodyshop. If so there may be some internal numbers that cannot be changed that are telling the game that the eyes are all in the same file.  

if that's the case then running the individual eyes through bodyshop as a project and resaving them might work.

However, I'm still looking at VioletSky's multi-eyes-in-one package file to see if there is some way to make that system work and I'm drawing the conclusion that it will require doing some very intensive editing of the files to reduce the texture overlays inside the package to 4 and relinking the reduced numbers back into the all the bits and pieces to make it work.  

So if you are trying to place many eyes inside a single package file you may have a huge amount of editing in store to make this work.

The Wolf of Retribution! Proud Leader in the Animal Army!:dog:
'Trashed' Sims? I've got a website... Dewshine's Recolors for Sims 2.
Visit my Live Journal ~ GM_Andy's TARDIS ramblings ~ Fanfic for Dr Who.
::smilieiforgetwhi:: A daily click will help to provide food and care for an abused, abandoned or neglected animal.::smilieiforgetwhi::
MissLoaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 08:01:47 am »

Uhh, thanks for replying.
I'll zip up and upload some problem files once I'm back on my gaming computer, if that helps.

If your eye package has many colors inside one package that might be a problem.

Would those additional colours appear in the Texture Image (TXTR) list?
I'm quite certain that there was only one texture in each edited file. The name in the resource list in Texture Overlay XML however was named differently than in your tutorial pics - "uml"-something, I believe.
Probably you're right about the file copying ...

However, you say that the ones set to 4 are working so that is your issue.

I'm afraid I don't understand - assigning them as 4 can cause a problem?

if that's the case then running the individual eyes through bodyshop as a project and resaving them might work.

Tried to do it after reading about a different problem, but Bodyshop won't let me export a project due to the mass selection.

So if you are trying to place many eyes inside a single package file you may have a huge amount of editing in store to make this work.

I can't say I tried to do that and honestly, I don't have any idea why anyone would do that. I prefer to be able to delete individual files once I don't like them anymore.

Competed in Star Trek: Intrepid (Capt. Matthew L. Thornton, winner CO positon) - Come join our roleplay!

"X-Men - Mutant Adventures" RPG

Time Zone Converter Link 1 or Link 2
[/font]
dewshine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 11:03:13 am »

Actually setting eyes to '4' as a genetic value is not a problem.  Those worked, yes?  It's the other files that did not.  
Ok, this gives me some clue as to what the problem might be:
Would those additional colours appear in the Texture Image (TXTR) list?
I'm quite certain that there was only one texture in each edited file. The name in the resource list in Texture Overlay XML however was named differently than in your tutorial pics - "uml"-something, I believe.
Having the file will help though.  I looked at Barcelonista's eyes at MTS2 but her "realistic" revision 4 looks different than the ones you show above.

You had a single texture in each package file, that I get.  So this is a different problem then VioletSky's.

I want you to know that I'll be happy to help you sort this out, and that assigning a genetic value of 4 is fine.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 11:05:37 am by dewshine » Logged

::smilieiforgetwhi:: A daily click will help to provide food and care for an abused, abandoned or neglected animal.::smilieiforgetwhi::
MissLoaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 01:03:10 pm »

Alright, the line in Texture Overlay XML says uuface_eye_dkbrown.
Recent discovery: Those few eyes that used to work - like a green/brownish colour of Barcelonista - decided to behave like all the rest. So selecting any colour now ends with selecting all colours.

I decided to pack all edited eyes plus the originals. Guess that'll be better than letting me decide for a single one.
It's up on my webspace as RAR file.

Competed in Star Trek: Intrepid (Capt. Matthew L. Thornton, winner CO positon) - Come join our roleplay!

[/font]
dewshine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 01:52:21 pm »

I got the file, I'll take a look.

Ok, I must tell you, you did everything correctly, Missloaf. It seems to be something in how the BARev4 eyes themselves were made.  I got them to work correctly for me by adding back the family data information.  Therefore, I'm not fully sure if they are going to work on NPCs.  The creator data still is all 0's and the genetic info is the same as you had it, while I restored the the alpha-numeric string from the original packages.  The eyes now only select one at a time. They have the names you used so you might want to pull your folder out and test these.

* missloafBarc-fixed.rar (288.77 KB - downloaded 270 times.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 03:02:16 pm by dewshine » Logged

MissLoaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 05:16:08 pm »

Hey, what a service Smiley Thanks a lot!

[/font]
dewshine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 07:53:07 pm »

*Bows*  

Yes, nothing like tutorials with 'expert' help attached, lol. Cheesy

VioletSky

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 08:53:42 am »

I found the problem.  I followed the tutorial on Mod The Sims 2 (found here)
You're not supposed to edit the family value, only version, product, flags, and creator.  I followed that and my eyes worked perfectly.

:smt106 OUM NOM NOM NOM!
dewshine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 02:39:26 am »

The family value, set to 0 is supposed to make NPC's use the eyes.  But if it doesn't work for the specific set you are using then don't change it.  I might have to note that in my tutorial.

Thank you VioletSky and MissLoaf

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: