Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 09:01:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Problem. Added image of unknown exe file  (Read 4075 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Charley

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2007, 01:02:05 pm »

I'm not sure where to post this because it isn't really a sims 2 problem! My computer won't do much sine someone sent me this thing, that i stupidly clicked on and its messin with my computer, i've tried antivirus scans but that doesn't seem to help and i just can't seem to think of how to fix it. I'm thinkin of just formatting the computer but i don't want to do that yet if there is another solution. Does anyone know what i could do?

Char
xxx

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:30:49 pm »

You could run a spyware program (like Adaware or Spybot). Failing that you could try running the disk checking utility. Assuming you have WindowsXP, double-click My computer on the Desktop (or Start>My Computer), select drive>File>Properties>Tools>Check Now...>Select Options>Start.

You'll get a message saying something to the effect that the drive is in use and this can be set to run at the next start up. Choose OK, then restart your computer and find something to occupy your time while your hard drive is being checked. Depending on the size of your drive, it could take some time. That's where I would start.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:50:33 pm »

Ran Adawere and Spybot! It tells me i have crap on my computer, and it gets rid of it but my problem is still not solved. I think this might be the computers secret way of telling me 'upgrde me!' Have since got my sims to run, also windows system live protect has suddenly downloaded itself and installed itself on my computer is this normal?

Char
xxx

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:05:19 pm »

If you've got your computer set up to do automatic updates it might. Did you try running the disk-check utility?

Charley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 05:27:32 pm »

Before i clicked something when someone sent me a message on msn stupidly, cos i think it was that virus thats goin round. Ran the check disk utility and didn't seem to tell me anything was wrong.

Char
xxx

Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 05:33:28 pm »

Have you tried doing a system restore?

If you have a question about my mods post it here
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:41:22 pm »

yeah but for some reason it was switched off and when we turned it back on the only system restore point was today which wouldn't be much use!!!

Char
xxx

Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:00:57 pm »

What is the exact problem you are having with your computer?

Charley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 08:40:02 am »

It crashes when usin programs, such as paint and things become unresponsive, occasionally the whole system will crash, also suddenly a new .exe file has appeared on my desktop and when ever i try to delete it, it reappears again. I tried to make a screenshot and save it as a picture with paint but it keeps crashing. The only thing that seems to be workin at the moment is the internet. Also when i try to use IE it just says that it has performed an illegal action and shuts down, i normally use Opera but since this my computer been dodgy i can't click on stuff like Ebay to place a bid and buttons like that and can't use IE to get around this problem. Also my passwords on sites have been suddenly deleted, cos i had to log in to this site which i never have to normally do. When i boot up the computer, it always Nwiz.exe has been shut down which is part of the program for graphics card, do you think i should just format the drive?

EDIT: Now i'm getting stuff like this: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience. And pop ups sayin IE has perform actions and has to close down even when i haven't tried to use it!

EDIT II: The reason i think this is a virus is that someone sent me a message sayin Are these photos of you?... with a link, when i clicked on the link i immedietly thought after, this is dodgy and ever since then my computer has been messed up. Normally i'm not as stupid as that to fall for stuff!

EDit III!: this is a piccy of what appeared on my desktop and when i delete it appears again when i boot the computer. Computer seems to behavin itself at the moment!

Char
xxx
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 03:11:32 pm by Charley » Logged

Charley

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:07:02 am »

Now when i boot up, certain programs will work while others don't and if i reboot, programs that were workin before stop working! Anyone any idea what this could be?

Char
xxx

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 11:17:34 am »

A number of years ago, one of my former bosses' computers was infected with a virus that had managed to attack his anti virus program. I used an online scanning device (I think it was Panda) to scan his computer and that solved the problem. I know it sounds weird, but any program on your computer can be infected, and if you anti virus is infected it won't work properly. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling your antivirus, and if the fresh install catches something, then chances are your antivirus was sick.

There's a malicious software removal tool and online virus scanner here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:25:46 am by caffeinated.joy » Logged

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 01:25:02 pm »

Charlotte - two things:

1. do not take candy from strangers

2. go here and download & install & run Kaspersky AntiVirus

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 01:27:39 pm »

:rofl: Yakov now you tell me Cheesy

Charley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:06:58 pm »

Okay will do try and do that in the mornin, just on my bro's new laptop that he got today. I don't actually have any anti virus software such as norton on my desktop computer, only adaware and spybot,  so think after this might invest in proper antivirus software! Is Kaspersky AntiVirus completely free or do i have to pay a subscription fee for the full product?

Char
xxx

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 12:29:51 am »

AVG anti-virus has a free download. I've used it for quite a while.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: