Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 05:47:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Inspiration"  (Read 4366 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Furious_Idea

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:55 am »

((here you all go! Please don't laugh TOO hard, eh? :happy6: Moving along...!))
----------------------------------------------------------------

....Inspiration often comes in the strangest, and most unusual packages.

Prologue

Dane Hatcher sighed, softly, into the cold air of his new home, and watched his breath   press between his lips in puffs of hot steam, left hanging over the surface of his breakfast table. After the nervous breakdown over the failure of his last attempt at a Novel, his publicist had suggested he move somewhere peaceful, perhaps the seaside, and relax, 'until his inspiration returned'. Dane, of course, had resignedly agreed, and left to move as soon as he'd -left-Jessica's office. He'd spent the last three days moving all his furniture by himself, down to the very last detail and picture frame, and he hadn't even bothered to have the heat turned on, yet; electricity, namely, for his computer, had been far more important. He'd wanted to get a head start on his next story as soon as it came to him. A shiver ran down his spine at the cold hanging in the house, and he winced, suddenly.

When he unclenched his tight fist,  not realizing he'd been squeezing hard enough to leave welts, he knew, though he'd never admit to such a thing, that said 'next story' was no where near coming. His moss-green eyes raised, slowly, to the back window; the exhausted writer peered out over the sea-side view, and could think of nothing more to do then frown, muttering quietly to himself.

"....What if my inspiration -never- returns, Jess'...? Y'gotta answer for that one...?"

Still shivering, albeit faintly, Dane pushed away from his table so violently that it sent the chair underneath him toppling into his kitchenette as soon as he was standing. Hr stalked into the adjoined livingroom, grabbing the paper from the coffeetable along the way, and slid, stiffly, into his favorite corner of his favorite black-and-white leather couch, flipping through the 'Bayhille Beach News' with feigned disinterest. The sting in his dominant hand protested each flip of flimsy, recycled paper, but, he pointedly ignored it, as he'd found himself on a page he hadn't expected to want to read.

The Classifieds.

Dane scowled at the adds for homes-for-sale, and lost pets...he half-closed the news paper, and peered over the top edge, as if he -knew- someone were outside his window, watching him feel lonely, and snickering at his childishness. When he found no unseen phantom, though, he let his eyes drop to the Room-mate-wanted section, and rubbed his thumb over the corner of the paper compulsively.

"....Maybe I should get myself a room-mate. People seem t'be D*** good inspiration t'most other people..."

None of the people showing themselves off verbally all over the Page sounded very inspirational, though. They were all so...mundane, and hopeful; puppies at a roadside sale, hopping around and waiting for some sucker to pay too much for them. After all of ten minutes, Dane gave up, and tossed the paper down by the couch, wearing the same scowl he'd worn since he'd woken up, freezing under his blankets, this morning. He slouched back, staring up at the ceiling, trying to wrench inspiration from the white, patternless of stucco, and pretended not to notice the persistent feeling of pain in his heart. Maybe the computer would ease his woes...

Hours later, after a lunch he hadn't really tasted, and a hot bath he hadn't really felt, Dane sat at the computer, his index finger absently clicking the 'F' key, over and over again, and he decided rather abruptly, that the entire day had been wasted. He read over all of the two paragraphs he'd managed to write out, slowly gaining back his anger from the morning, and only held himself back from swiping the LCD screen off the desk by biting his lip.

"...This is worthless. All of it. Worthless Sh**....", He hissed into the screen, standing up, presumably to find a book to read, or a TV show to watch. However, standing and glancing back at the computer resulted in the fine thread that was 'Dane Hatcher's Temper Line' to snap.

Soon, he found himself Screaming...at a piece of machinery.

".....THIS IS ALL COMPLETELY WORTHLESS!!! NONE OF IT SOUNDS RIGHT, ANYMORE! I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF F***ING NOWHERE, I'M FREEZING TO DEATH, AND I CAN'T EVEN WRITE THREE D*** PARAGRAPHS, ANYMORE!"

The rest of what the tired man said was illegible, and several words were in other languages; by the time he was done, he stood panting, arms at his side, head fallen. He smoked three cigarettes, still IN the house, left his computer on, beaming bright light into the wall, and gave up, for the remainder of the night. Dane brushed back strands of tangled black hair, not noticing the stubble across his jaw, and before he knew it, he was curled up on the couch with only the light of the lamp to comfort him. His knees were drawn to his chest, and he stared at the blank TV screen coldly until his eyes couldn't stay open, anymore.

The sobs echoing through the thin glass panes of his front windows startled him so much that he ended up, tumbled in a heap, on his brown bamboo rug, blinking Widely. He couldn't remember having fallen asleep...of course, he also couldn't remember any coastal animal he'd heard of as sounding quite so...ghastly.

"....D***it. Something just has to go and die on my front lawn, after all this."

Dane Hatcher didn't realize, though, as he stood, and headed for his front door, that his life was about to take a sudden and screeching change of direction.

Inspiration comes, after all, in the strangest, and most unusual packages.

Dane's package came the moment he opened his door.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:41:28 am by Furious_Idea » Logged

:yummy: I WILL EEET YOUR SOUL LIKE CANDY!
((....I hope it's cherry-flavored.))
cookie_monster8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:48:15 am »

Yay! A new story for me to be addicted to! I like it alot. *waits for more*

(\_/)
 (._.)
'(_ _)'
Furious_Idea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:51:24 am »

Quote from: cookie_monster8;781857
Yay! A new story for me to be addicted to! I like it alot. *waits for more*

Oi! Thank-you! *big hearts everywhere*

Azn I'm glad to have already found a fan.Cheesy

xHannaHx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:40:27 am »

awesome story! keep it up! i wanna be a fan too! lol

Planning a sim wedding? In need of the perfect gown? Your search shall be no longer. Check out my set of 3 wedding gowns:love8:
Click here To get me in your game. You know you wanna :dance:
[/FONT][/SIZE]
mieley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:19:19 pm »

Wow this is a really good start!
Just curious though, how come some of the words are written like -this-?

I hope to read more of this story soon!

I´ll come again when you have Judge on the menue.
Furious_Idea

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 07:32:15 pm »

Quote from: mieley;782691
Wow this is a really good start!
Just curious though, how come some of the words are written like -this-?

I hope to read more of this story soon!

I has no idea, good person of the website. Sometimes, my brain works in mysterious ways. It's the same thing I do when I write scripts to show emphasis in certain words I'm supposed to remember the importance of :smt120.

XD I gave up trying to stop it.

Furious_Idea

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:19:04 pm »

((okay, since I got a bit of positive response, I feel more positive, myself, today! On to chapter one! There are a few more pictures, tit for tat, but, I'm sure no one minds. :tongue5:))

Chapter One- Rosline

Dane found himself in a very unusual and awkward position, as soon as he closed his front door, and found his eyes drawn to the street-light on the corner of his new house. Something, or, rather, someone who was definitely NOT a dying small animal stood slumped underneath it, crying his androgynous eyes out. Dane, himself, couldn't move a single step from the moment he'd gone outside; he stood there, eyes brimming at the sight of the unusual young man, back turned to him, hands covering his face, and...he was paralyzed.

This young man's skin was a shade of rosy white that he'd never seen, before, outside of fantasy novels and cheesy animes that Jessica had forced him to watch; his form was slender, and reed-like, fit in skin tight blacks and nets and silver buckles. Black nails, short and nervously-bitten, were thrust into just the top of his white hair, which streamed down the crescent of his back, until it tickled his tail-bone, which....was almost -showing-, with the rate those pants had slipped down his hips.

"....H...hey, kid. What's....what's the problem? Care to tell me why the Hell you're bawling in my yard?"

The words didn't come out at ALL like he'd wanted them to; he'd finally gotten up the nerve to sprint down the steps, across the sparse grass, and in front of the crying figure, leaning down, a little, to try and see his face through his hands. The tired writer attempted a smile, faint and weak and slightly nauseous, but, any further words he was going to say were cut off when, very suddenly, the young man lifted his tear-stained face, and proceeded to bite poor Dane's undeserving head off.

"...This streetlight's Government Property; I can stand here and 'bawl' all I want, you Jerk!"

The young man's voice was lyrical and slightly effeminate, but, it matched his face, as far as Dane was concerned; a sloping, pale oval, with tear flushed cheeks, puffy eyes, and smudged gothic make-up. His eyes were bright red, and his pupils were crimson; an albino, apparently. A typical...or, slightly atypical, 'damsel in distress'. Dane winced inwardly at his utter -lack- of social skills, and caught himself backing up a few steps as he was yelled at, trying to think of anything to say or so to make this boy stop screaming .

"Look," started Dane, holding his hands up in mock self defense. His patience, which was already near-nil, after the day he'd had, was starting to wear thin. "...I Didn't -mean- to...well, make you angrier, okay?! I just wanted to know what was wrong!! Jesus kid!!"

"...Everything is wrong!!" The pale young man screeched, throwing his arms back as if he thought the force of his own cries might send him falling backwards into the dirt and the out-of-place pine trees littering Dane's yard.

"J.....J-Just leave me alone, and I'll get off your D*** property....and....and don't call me K...Kid, because I swear I'll--"

Dane couldn't stop his pleased smirk when the younger man Froze, instantly forgetting what he was saying the moment the writer's hand had reached out, without warning, and brushed the tears from his snowrose cheeks. He was stiff and wary under his touch; a wild animal, waiting to bite or bolt...deciding what to do, but too scared to think straight. His eyes were caught on Dane's face, and his lips moved, soundlessly, before he was given something to answer.

"...Well, then...If I can't call ya 'kid'...I'm gonna hafta get a name outta you. I'm Dane. You are...?"

The young man didn't even realize he was being tugged, gently, towards Dane's porch, and then, inside, out of the cold, until his eyes snapped away, and he saw wall instead of horizon. ".....Rosline." He murmured, hardly a breath, and stepped back, sharply, stuffing his gloved hands in his pockets. "...W....why...."

"...Are we Inside?" Dane finished, rather cheerily, before motioning to the hallway that split off of the livingroom. "...Well, at your age, I'm guessin' that hiding under my streetlight, in the cold, crying...would mean you're a bit homeless, right? You're stayin' here, for the night, till' you calm down, a bit. Now, go wash up. The bathroom's through the hallway; third door."

Rosline was too stunned to Argue; he stood in this new stranger's house, looked around, once, then nodded, mutely. No less than five minutes later, the sound of running water ebbed out into the livingroom, and Dane had already set a pair of Black Pajamas by the door for the poor man to use. The writer had pursed his lips in concern when, even after the water had stopped running, Rosline seemed to prefer to keep the lights off.

"....Kid's so gloomy, he even bathes in the F***ing dark..." He muttered to himself as he worked on the complex process that was getting coffee to -come out- of his kitchen coffee-pot. The machine sputtered, dripping weakly into the pitcher, and the black-haired man itched his stubble, absently, only NOW wondering why he'd suddenly decided to let this 'kid' stay with him. Dane Hatcher, while well known for occasional random-acts-of-kindness, was also known for frequent random-acts-of-stupidity.

Dane couldn't exactly figure out which one of those two this situation was, yet. After about 20 minutes of utter silence from the bathroom, though, he was starting to wonder if it was the latter. Just as he slid away from his dying coffee-pot and towards the hallway, though, the bathroom door opened, and a tall, thin shadow cast itself upon the walls.

It was then that the writer realized why his new charge -wore- so much 'gloomy' make-up.

Rosline stood, in shocked stillness, again, in Dane's hallway; his body was covered up ((almost swallowed, really)) by the night-clothes the other man had left for him; they swathed his arms, and fell over his heels...but...they did nothing to hide his face, which was focused, blankly, in Dane's direction.

....It was covered with angry, pink scars. They bridged across his nose in packs, and laced up his left jaw in twos. The corner of his mouth...even his -eyes-, in places, looked as if a rabid bear had mauled him. In the center of his pale, sloping forehead laid the three worst marks; neat slashes, deep and painful-looking, still the pink of a newly-scarred injury.

Dane's first reaction was to open his mouth, and reach forward, as if to touch, mentally clawing for something, -anything-, to say...if only to make that fearful glint in Rosline's eyes dissipate. He didn't have time to think of anything 'inspiring', though; within seconds, the young man turned around and bolted to the back guest room, finding it, fumbling open the door, and slamming it behind himself. Under any other circumstance, the writer would have thought it strange that Rosline found it without having gotten the 'tour'...but, all he could think to do, now, was follow Rosline back, and try to salvage what was -left- of his ruined day and night.

The sounds of much softer sobbing assaulted the Writer's ears the minute he cracked open the door. Rosline stood in the blank beige bedroom, fists clenched and head down, biting his lip so he wouldn't be 'loud'. It seemed, when he'd run out of places to run, that he'd given up, so to speak; when he glanced over his shoulder at Dane, his eyes held so much hopelessness that the older man found himself unable to stop.

His arms were around Rosline before he could even think about it, hands buried in cascades of white as the pale slip of a man collapsed against him, hiding his face and crying.  Dane didn't know how long he held Roseline; minutes, or even -hours-, but...he found himself not minding, so much. The kid was light, and he smellt like soap and jasmine blossoms, somehow. It was...unique; different.

Perhaps, it was even a little inspiring, that the poor guy was trusting a stranger so openly.

"...hey, hey now...sh-shh. It...It's gonna be alright. You got that?" Dane murmured, pulling back, a bit, trying out another weak smile. This time, it worked, and Rosline sniffled, softly, wiping his eyes in a gesture so utterly childish that the other man caught himself smiling all the more.

"...We...I...oh, D***it, just tell me in the mornin', okay, Rosline? I think you might need to get some sleep."

The poor young man didn't speak a single word, as Dane quietly pulled the bedsheets back for him, and helped him into bed, wiping his eyes, again. Dane Hatcher tried to avoid touching or brushing a scar, and left Rosline with the silent hope that he wouldn't run off, in the middle of the night.

He laid in his own bed, not long afterwards, and found himself staring thoughtfully at his old friend, the white stucco, again. This time, though, he felt much...better, to be looking at it. As his Mossy eyes slid shut, he smirked, a bit, into his pillow, and shook his head.

"....I should write about this...in the mornin'..."

Dane thought, rather absently, that he might have just stumbled onto his newest Muse.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:27:21 pm by Furious_Idea » Logged

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 12:08:40 am »

Nice job! You've got some wonderful imagery here. I could almost feel the cold as I was reading it.

I have one minor suggestion, if you don't mind. This phrase, "His moss-green eyes raised, slowly, to the back window..." gives the impression his eyes are slowly floating out of his head and up to the window. It's rather like the phrase "his eyes dropped to his plate". Eyes can roll back into the skull, but they don't travel beyond the confines of the eyesockets. That's the job of the gaze. Smiley

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: