Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 04:18:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GeForce GT, GS, GTX? Does it matter? (and other)  (Read 1104 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
~Iris~

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:16:16 am »

As some of you know, I am now on the quest for a new graphics card, and I'm starting to put more thought into the GeForce series (namely 7800 because it's cheap lol).  I have all of the expansion packs (save for the stuff packs), and about 500+MB of custom content (food :smt120) and still downloading.  I noticed that after Seasons, my game started to lag, and would only run smoothly if I made ranch homes, with about four sims in the house.  I want to be able to build my huge houses with huge families again.  Before anyone asks, these are my computer specs - http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-Desktop-Pentium-Processor-Technology/dp/B0003VO4MG however I no longer have the same graphics card (removed that long ago lol). It's basically empty save for The Sims, and maybe a hand full of programs.  I've used about 18 - 20GB of space so far, and that's it.  So before I go shopping, I have a few questions:

1.  I'm looking at the GeForce series, but the GT, GS, and GTX are causing me some worry.  Does the type of 7000 series (as far as the "G's" are concerned) make any difference?

2.  What would make my game run faster?

3.  Should I stick with the Radeon series (shooting for x1300 if I do), or move to GeForce?  I don't use the computer for video viewing/making, or basically anything other than the Sims, Bodyshop and SimPE.

4.  Do GeForce cards use shared memory, or are they "independent?"

5.  From the specs on my computer, is there anything that I should do to it before installing my new card (or even looking for my new card)?

That's it for now.  I'm going to Staples today to get some tech support, but wanted to give them a heads up.  Thanks in advance.

I can grow eggs, steaks, fish and books...but I can't make V8?

My custom sim is Egyptian royalty...the Adventure said so!
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 02:49:49 pm »

Well, I have an ATI card on my pc and and a GeForce card on my laptop, and I have far fewer issues with the ATI, but that could be just me. The only thing you need to do, regardless of which card you get, is to make sure you completely remove the old drivers.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: