Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 01:39:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Make an Infant Diaper Override Recolor (*2ND REVAMP, 1/27/08*)  (Read 32031 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »

Okay I downloaded GIMP and i dont know how to recolor it! Please help!
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 08:28:20 pm »

it's very simple, for mine, i just took the mesh, (i used blooms), and made the stripes different colors by using the 'select color tool' in the top left corner, then pick a color, and use the paint brush to fill in just the area of that color. my first attempt didn't turn out so bad, except i have no patience to make it look real...

Find me on moonlight <3
ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 08:32:31 pm »

So yours is just a solid color? What if I wanted to use a pattern then how would i do that?
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 08:43:25 pm »

... I think it's smart to learn the basics of photoshop/gimp before going straight on recoloring. Otherwise you'd never get a good result.

Patterns should be easy to do. Just copy the texture, and paste it in. If the programme has the opportunity to use layer masks (almost the same as alpha channel) then it's even easier. There are plenty of photoshop tutorials, so I won't list up everything here...
Photoskinning is a lot more complicated, and requires that you at least have basic knowledge of the texture editing programme you use.

Here's a quick SimPE review of the tutorial:

(click the picture for a bigger version)

1: open the file/mesh you want to recolor
(oops - messed up numbers)
3: click on the texture file (if the plugin window doesn't show, click "window--> plugin view")
2: export the texture file, and save it to wherever you want.

Texture the outfit. Remember that everything except the head will have color on it, so places where you want the skin to show should be transparent (or black in an Alpha channel). If you work in layers, it's a smart thing to also save the workfile, just in case you want to use a part of the texture later.
Save as PNG ("Ctrl+alt+shift+S", as 24bit PNG if you've got Photoshop)

4: Right-click in the texture window, select "Build DXT"
5: use the DX3 format if you have transparent textures. DXT1 gives a more pixely result. On the sharpen option, select "none". Then open the texture you made.
6: when the texture is updated, click "commit".
7: Save As... whatever name you want.

Then test it, and see if it works Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:09:05 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 01:05:03 pm »

How do you create a texture? With GIMP?
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 03:50:23 pm »

I use photoshop myself. But GIMP is a free programme, so some people prefer that instead of photoshop.

I recommend you try to find some tutorials on the GIMP/photoshop basics, Ashleycsy. It's a lot to figure out otherwise.

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »

OK! I found one...but what exactly am I trying to do? Sorry I'm so difficult! LOL! Thanks for all your help!
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:09:21 pm »

wow, you think you are having problems, creating the outfit recolors are nothing compared to the issues i am having with getting it in my game!!

Find me on moonlight <3
ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:31 pm »

LOL!!! What program did you use to recolor it?
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 11:30:07 pm »

Scroll up your question has already been answered Grin

If you have a question about my mods post it here
ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 03:11:27 pm »

YAY! I think I have it now. Just have to test it! How can you access your pictures that you take in the game?
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 05:37:32 pm »

ummm, i made one using bloom's mesh, and i wanted to point out this:
1. the outfit ended up esactly the same as blooms.

If you haven't already, make sure you don't have duplicate or more than one infant override files enabled in your Downloads folder.  Otherwise, you'll have that happen.

As for #2, theraven already has that quoted for ya, so no need for me to double up on that.

well there is no commit button when i do it, and could someone please explain to me what program to install??

If your screen resolution is small like mine, make sure the scroll bar on the very right of the SimPE screen is up all the way to the top, and you should see the Commit button. 

As for the tutorial not making any sense... well...  considering that it survived the transition from vBulletin to SMF, there may be some things odd with it... or not.  Eyebrow 

Many thanks, theraven, for doing a single-screenshot version of the tutorial.   I guess my wall of detailed words tends to scare people a bit... I was sure just bolding some of the important points would help out a bit there for those who like to skim, but what you did works out loads better.  Grin

@ ashleycsy:  Go to your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\N00X*\Storytelling folder.  * X= the neighborhood number... for example N001 would be Pleasantview, N002 = Strangetown, N003 = Veronaville, N004 = your custom 'hood, so on and so forth.  Whichever neighborhood you were in when you took the screenshots, you'd go to its numbered folder's Storytelling file and search for your screenshots.  Wink

ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 06:11:37 pm »

Thanks... to everyone who created this post! Hug2
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 07:23:39 pm »

Many thanks, theraven, for doing a single-screenshot version of the tutorial.   I guess my wall of detailed words tends to scare people a bit... I was sure just bolding some of the important points would help out a bit there for those who like to skim, but what you did works out loads better.  Grin

Many thanks for making this tutorial in the first place. Thanks to you and Bloom I learned making infant outfits myself Wink
I'm one of those who learns best with quick and easy picture tutorials, so I just thought some people might think the same... I never manage to find where to click at the first try, unless there's a picture showing where to find it (a bucketload of impatience doesn't help either  Undecided)

My site:

ashleycsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 10:35:13 pm »

How do we upload images to our posts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: