Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 03:48:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm buying a computer. Help!  (Read 2121 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Ramika

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2007, 04:09:36 pm »

Yes, I finally got fed up with my laptop and decided to buy a new computer. One of the most important things to consider when buying one though, is whether Sims 2 will run smoothly or not.
So... how does the following combination sound to you:
- Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6300 (1.86 GHz),
- 1024 MB RAM,
- 500 GB (2x250) hard disc,
- 256 MB ATI X1650SE graphic card.

(I have Uni, Nightlife and OFB. I'm also thinking about purchasing Seasons.)

I'd get that combo with a reasonable price (and a monitor, too!), but is it worth it? Thank you in advance, I totally suck when it comes to the technical stuff. :oops:
miros1

In Miros We Trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 04:31:58 pm »

Processor, RAM and hard drive look good to me.  Some people hate ATI cards, some swear by them, I don't really have an opinion.

Rose/Miros
Webmaster of the Wooden Simolean
kieren13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 04:37:09 pm »

Think about adding some extra memory, go for 2 gig if you can afford.
The rest seems fine for playing the Sims 2, but for anything else you may want a faster graphics card.
You really could do with going with either the X1650 Pro or XT rather than the SE.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:52:14 pm by kieren13 » Logged
Ramika

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:38:18 am »

Thank you all for the comments.
I also think that there could be more memory, but since the computer comes with that exact combination, it would get really expensive to change it. ._. Right now I'll be paying about 800 dollars for that.
My other option was this combo:
- Intel Core 2 Duo processor E4300 (1,80 GHz),
- 2048 MB RAM,
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE Turbocache graphic card.

Would that be better? It'll be a little more expensive, but I could still afford it I think.

I need to stick with these pre-made combinations, since I totally lack the skills to put anything together by myself. I'd probably end up making the whole thing explode. XD
thrstonlovi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 07:54:23 am »

Ramika, I would also recommend 2 gig of memory if you are planning to run the Sims 2.  I, however, had nothing but problems with ATI graphics cards.  I would recommend NVIDIA.

I wish you the best of luck in making your decision.

Follow your dreams and enjoy the trip.
miros1

In Miros We Trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 09:49:48 am »

My nVidia card is working perfectly since I updated the drivers.  Was just a long wait for the updated drivers...

Rose/Miros
Webmaster of the Wooden Simolean
trl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 11:25:54 am »

I have had both ATI and GEForce. I had problems with my first NVidia card, after ten days NVidia techs decided that I should return the card, it was defective. I then purchased an ATI 9200 series card (not sure which) and it ran flawlessly and my sim pics were gorgeous but it was 256 mb, a bit slow but not too bad. I then got a GEForce 7300GT 512mb and again had nothing but trouble. It had the terrible crash problem until the new beta driver was released. Now I am very happy. The extra video RAM in the graphic card made a huge difference in how fast things moved for me during game play. So I am not sure what to tell you. I agree with all on the Processor RAM. I have found that with all the EP's loaded and Downloads I needed at least 1 gig of Ram for it to run smooth and am now getting ready to go up to 2 gigs. Get the best card you can afford. Good luck. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:35:06 am by trl » Logged

lineman
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 12:29:33 pm »

A couple of months ago I replaced my old Dell Pentium4, 80gb H.D.with a Visionman gaming computer. It uses a Pentium D935 dual core 3.2Ghz, 4MB cache, nVidia 7300 GS PCI express 256MB with Turo cache for 512MB. Also 500GB sATA II H.D.,8 channal audio and a 20X Lie-on dual layer DVD-RW, and Flash card reader. This is the best computer I've ever owned, it's price is probably more than you wish to spend, it was $1149. They do make gaming computers down to $500 or $600, ckeck them at visionman.com or tigerdirect.com.
Ramika

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 12:58:09 pm »

Thanks again everyone :worship:
It does seem that the nVidia card would be a better investment. So, I think I'll go for the second combination even though it's more expensive. At this point I'm willing to pay a fortune for smooth gameplay. XD
I'll go buy the computer next thursday. *nervous*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: