Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:22:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: *FIXED!* Temporarily out of commission  (Read 9160 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Warlokk

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:56:38 am »

Hi All--

Just a quick note, I'll be out of action for a while due to a major hardware failure on my main PC Friday night... we had some sort of power outage/surge, and when I tried to power my machine on afterwards it just lit up the fans the first time, then after that wouldn't do anything. After swapping the power supply and having the same results, I'm fairly sure it fried my motherboard, at least that's what my 12 years of hardware support experience tells me. Since I still have a socket 939 Athlon X2 CPU I just bought not long ago, I had to order a new socket 939 motherboard online since stores don't carry them anymore, they're all AM2 (hardware geeks will know what I'm talking about). So until my new board arrives, and it *hopefully* fixes the problem, all I have to use is a crappy work-owned laptop. If the motherboard does't fix it, well, I'll pretty much have to build a new system, which is pretty impossible right now... so it damn well better fix it. Tongue

Anyway, I won't be around as much for the next little while, but as soon as I get my machine rebuilt I'll get back to the project. Wish me luck!

Oh yeah, and if you have an expensive PC, and live somewhere where the power is unreliable... buy a battery backup/UPC. Don't be a moron like me and think a power surge won't take out your rig... even if it's never happened before, the one time it does happen really, really, REALLY sucks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 01:08:32 pm by Warlokk » Logged

Be sure to stop by Warlokk's Tower Workshop to see what's new!
Need help with the Bodyshape Sets? Bodyshape How-To Tutorial
Corinne

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:34:43 pm »

Wow, that really sucks dude!
I hope it all works out for you and you get up and running again real soon.
Until then, consider it a mandatory vacation, and enjoy it!! Cheesy

Mimi_Mimosa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 04:55:15 pm »

I feel for you. I too had to learn the hard way to get Surge Protectors...
cableguy7uk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:56:01 pm »

Best of luck in getting your system back up, no doubt you will have some one
you know will help or a good computer store with the parts you need.
Warlokk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:16:53 pm »

Unfortunately there aren't any decent PC hardware shops around at all, from what I can find, just the big-box stores, and nobody stocks the 939 chipset motherboards anymore since AMD switched to the AM2 socket series... so I ended up ordering one, should be here in a few days.  I've been fixing and building PCs for about 12 years, unfortunately I just don't have access to the parts and tools I used to, and none of my spares are compatible with the new hardware... Tongue

Netra
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 11:13:03 pm »

Sorry to hear about that Warlokk....I hope that that is the problem, and that you get it back up and running.Smiley I am sure everyone will miss you for the time being, but you do need a break!:)

"If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it!"
sesimie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:26:28 am »

So even the master runs into Murphy's law.....

Wow this is kinda wierd.....i've been talking about replacing my socket 939 MOBO for awhile now but the funds just can't seem to be saved!!

Oh Warlokk,(slight correction) UPC makes UPS's......Uninterruptible Power Supplies....this is the only way to go for your PC when the power goes....PLEASE PEOPLE BUY THESE!!

i also worked in the Hardware repair field for about 12 yrs!! let me guess.....You know DOS 6.....:doh:

Damn i'm feeling old......birthday looms :old:

Anyway...look on the brighter side....You are gonnah have to get a new MOBO!! this is a good thing.....:thumbup:

“Wait for the sign,To flick the switch of death,It's the beginning of the end......Sweat, chilling cold, As I watch death unfold,Consciousness my only friend” -Ride The Lightning by MetallicA
themysticalone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:28:48 am »

Ouch. I hate when things like this happened.  Back in college, a power surge managed to take out my motherboard, network card, and scsi card... even through the APC UPS I had everything powered through, which probably makes me one of the unluckiest people ever since generally those offer better protection than most surge protectors.  Now, I just use a surge protector that rates against a large amount of Joules, since I'm too cheap to buy a decent UPS.

Hope you get back up and running without any problems

Fodi is my comic.
Looking for a nice, organised table of all the bodyshape base sets and my recolors and conversions? Look here: Bodyshape Links
sesimie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 01:01:38 pm »

I wish that PSU's the power supply unit in Desktops had in built ups features....namely a battery.....this is where laptops succeed...

So many people rely on Surge suppressors....but there are always Brownouts,Spikes/surges and Blackouts!!  Only UPS's protect from all mentioned....Again People BUY ONE if you use a desktop!!

“Wait for the sign,To flick the switch of death,It's the beginning of the end......Sweat, chilling cold, As I watch death unfold,Consciousness my only friend” -Ride The Lightning by MetallicA
Chopperchic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 09:29:58 am »

Its aweful to hear Warlokk. I hope you can find what you need fast without it breaking the bank.

Good luck

not a plug but have you tried computergate dot com?

Chopperchic
Warlokk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:09:08 pm »

Hi everyone... great news, the new motherboard did the trick, everything seems to be working OK!  Thanks everyone for all the support!  Cheesy

cableguy7uk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 02:50:45 pm »

Nice to see you back on line,no doubt we'll see more of your fantastic designs here and in the adult section soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: