Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 09:18:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloads Folder arrange by date... help!  (Read 2802 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
summer_wine

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:25:59 pm »

hi!

my game crashed and for the life of me i can't remember what i've downloaded between the time i last played and today. my problem is when i arrange the files in my downloads folder they are arranged according to the date the creator uploaded the files or whatever, it's not WHEN I INSTALLED the stuff.

so i don't know which to get rid of. Sad

i was able to arrange them by the date i installed them before but i don't know when  this started or what exactly happened but i just can't seem to arrange them that way. any thoughts? i really need to get in my game i have a deadline tomorrow. Sad

The Price of Redemption ~My Sim Story! Check it out!
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:47:46 pm »

The package files are usually date stamped with the date created.  The .zip/.rar files on the other hand will have the date you downloaded them.  If you've saved the compressed files before extracting them, you can sort those by date to see what you've added.  But if you just opened them from the download link, those files went into the browser's temporary save space and are pretty much beyond reach.
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:31:03 am »

yea... after i extracted them i deleted the .rar files Sad

but if i didn't delete them, how do i find out which is which in my downloads folder

ETA

okay. weird... i removed my downloads folder and yet my game is still loading forever. any thoughts on this? Sad
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:46:28 am by summer_wine » Logged

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:47:56 am »

Quote from: summer_wine;913913
yea... after i extracted them i deleted the .rar files Sad

If you didn't empty your recycle bin, you can recover the .rar files.

but if i didn't delete them, how do i find out which is which in my downloads folder/

I'd probably open two windows explorer windows, one would point to the .rar files sorted on date, the other to the Downloads folder sorted on name.  Many things will have similar names for the .rar and .package file.  Clothing on the other hand, by default sticks a number in front of the name on package files, which may or may not be similar to the .rar name.  You may need to open clothing and mesh .rars to get the actual name.
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:11:21 pm »

Try deleting your groups.cache file, it might help.  You could also give a try at deleting the CASthumbnail.package file located in the thumbnails folder.

One way around this for the future is to create a temp folder in your downloads folder in which you will put all the new stuff you download so they are easy to find.  After playing for a little while, you will know it is safe to move the new stuff or if problems, it will be way easier to find the faulty stuff.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:14:44 pm by MissDoh » Logged
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

thanks miss doh! Smiley

i'm thinking of creating a new folder with a date and putting all my downloaded stuff for that particular day in there.

anyway, i'm reinstalling my game right now. wish me luck am really scared about reinstalling.

MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:42:52 pm »

I am sure reinstalling will go well. Smiley  So I guess deleting those files did not help, I would have hope it would.

*crossing my fingers and toes just in case*  I recently reinstall too and it went well. Smiley

If you are also using mods/hacks I stongly suggest you use simwardrobe (paladin) hack detection tool everytime you add something new even if it is just an update, it can save you from a lot of headaches.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:45:41 pm by MissDoh » Logged
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:02 pm »

i don't have a lot of hacks, just the ones needed for pictures. i'm not a big hack addict haha.

thanks for the help. i'm installing UNI now, just NL left to go. reinstalling is so stressful!

MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:44:48 pm »

Oh so your newest ep is NL, then always make sure whatever you download from sites always specify if you need a perticular ep for it to work.

Some updates can be Ep version specific only, some recolors too might need specific ep's/stuff packs.  If unsure and you really want it, ask on the site where it is before you install it.
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:28:57 am »

my game is working fine now... but the CC aren't showing. i'm just glad i can now take pictures. thanks everyone!

MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:43:40 am »

Do not forget to re-enable your cc (will show once you quit and restart the game) and make sure you type the folder name correctly which is:  Downloads
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:47:29 am by MissDoh » Logged
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 12:32:17 am »

Everything works perfectly now! thanks again! i love you!!!! Cheesy my sanity is back again! yay!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: