Insimenator.org
April 18, 2024, 08:39:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blurg... force re-indexing of vertices?  (Read 3532 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:12:15 am »

I made a chain for the neck of a bodybuilder with individual links, it looks right in BodyShop, it looks right in CAS, but in game the thing looks like a jumbled mess because the textures are being painted to the in-game screen with priorty based on the vertex number assignment.

HOW THE ITEM APPEARS IN MILKSHAPE 3D, SIMPE, BODYSHOP & CAS

HOW THE ITEM APPEARS IN GAME PLAY MODE

Does anyone know of a sure-fire way to force a re-indexing of the vertice number assignment?

Perhaps export as 3DS or maybe OBJ then re-import the mesh?  I am a bit lost on this one, MilkShape is certain lacking some tools on this one.

Thanks in advance

Edit:

After thinking about this a bit longer, I think it may relate to the point where the accessory mesh is being incorporated into the character file, similar to the bug where a reflective skin tone's face works in CAS but goes dull and non-reflective once in-game.

I tried using a mirror to change the appearance of sims adding and removing this chain several times, it did not correct the error.

I am seeking a fix that doesn't require a player to edit the character file, so editing the standard material toggle for the item in the character file isn't an option.

* chain-in-CAS.jpg (100.77 KB, 600x450 - viewed 929 times.)

* chain-in-game.jpg (102.03 KB, 600x450 - viewed 445 times.)
* HBBneckchain.rar (103.42 KB - downloaded 135 times.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:04:22 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:58:45 pm »

OK, Body Shop is really starting to piss me off.

In the past one could delete the age and genders from an accessory clone, make a 2nd generation clone from the modified clone and go to distribution; but something has changed since applying the Season EP Patch, which I have to assume was in preparation for the changes made to accessories made in Bon Voyage.  Now, when I delete age groups or genders, the file no longer displays in Body Shop at all.

This should have been a relatively simple project and it is rapidly becoming a proper panty-bunching nightmare.

Marvine took a whack at it, and she turned out a file that works as previously was the case on her un-patched version of Seasons, but it will not display in my patched version.

What I don't understand is that older items (such as the BB pirate ear-rings, satyr ears, and satyr horns) continue to work and clone, only new items (made post Seasons) seem to be affected in this manner.  If anyone can shed some light on this, I would very much appreciate it.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:14:12 pm »

I tried....
9 out of 10 times my game crashed when trying to put the chain on at the mirror ingame.(same thing in Bodyshop)
The times my game didn't crash the chain was totally offline.
But i think you might get it fixed by making 2 links instead of one and uvmap those seperate.
Like one chain with the vertical links and one chain with the horizontal links.
If that wont work you can try to give the vertical and horizontal chain his own group.
just my 2 cents....
I also tried to make both the accesoire and meshpackage from scratch(except your milkshapefile) with those ravegoogles, again the chain was offline....and gamecrashes.
Or my game is screwed or those glasses files are screwed.
You shouldn't post this kinda probs lol, there driving me nuts, hehe

Edit,
Its not in the mesh....when i build it with the amfacevampireteeth it shows correct.
i also deleted the gender and age from the ravegoggles.(giving me the chain way offline)
and i also did with the teeth and altho it looks better its offline too.

* chain.jpg (149.62 KB, 705x740 - viewed 258 times.)

* chain02.jpg (178.59 KB, 776x833 - viewed 414 times.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 12:25:06 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:55:52 am »

Bloom, the chain doesn't seem off to me in the second screenshot? It's intended for the huge BB and looks rather weird on regular sims, but that's normal.
It's known that a few Maxis glasses aren't suitable for cloning, like the "evenmorehip", so the usual advice is to use the "thickrim" glasses. Now I looked in the googles in the past, and they use a different kind of files for the second set so they may not be safe either.

Also, I had somebody with BV installed test my version of the chain and it shows properly, with only A, YA and elder files in the package... I'm very confused here.

Now, the display issue was a common one when Pets was released and happened even on Maxis glasses such as the googles, it appeared that the StandardMaterial was broken and changing it to SimStandardMaterial fixed that, at least when it was suitable for the accessory - Yakov it right, it's most probably related somehow to this thing with reflective skintones not displaying properly anymore. But I thought the issue was solved for accessories in Seasons, at least it is for me.

Uploading my version (with the default glasses texture) in case we can find a pattern...

* neckchain.rar (101.52 KB - downloaded 123 times.)
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:31:47 am »

Ah, ok
This is the one based on the amfacevampireteeth.
Removed all genders and ages except adult male.
Later on i replaced the matdef.(with one from the ravegoggless) and added a texture image to get the reflection.
Oh, and i did remove the lens.....(yes...i always remove wat i think is not needed)
It shows up in the Iron look.

I noiticed that there wasn't a link to the envcube files in the filelist(mat. sett. from the frame) in Beos his files, but maybe not needed?
Im still experimenting with all those mat.settings

Edit:
Marvine's shows correct but the ones from Beos keep crashing my game....

* BeosChain.rar (101.03 KB - downloaded 123 times.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 08:52:20 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:06:13 am »

I replaced the mat settings with the ones from beos his files(by hand)
Except one line, cos it didn't make sence to me Wink (stdMatTextureCoordTfAnimScaleStartEnd)
Pretty cool chain!!!!

Edit, ran it through bodyshop and enabled Elder and YA
You need the mesh from the post above

OMG, when i now wanted to view the ya in bodyshop it crashed ........Sad
Edit, think i had to many chains in my accesoire section lol
Removed all others and it works properly.
Im not running the best comp here and ingame i noticed the chain deformes or could it be the bonesettings?
Or does the line ''stdMatTextureCoordTfAnimScaleStartEnd''does add here something?

* chain03.jpg (246.05 KB, 613x857 - viewed 393 times.)
* BeoschainFinal.rar (3.86 KB - downloaded 135 times.)

* chain04.jpg (291.39 KB, 949x622 - viewed 374 times.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:56:55 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 03:13:29 pm »

Bloom I think that was a damaged file - a Body Shop export error due to the "pure shit" patch by EA.  I have done a complete re-install of the game and hope that this will solve the bugs.  Thank you for your work here.  It was very helpful in isolation the problem and made me realise more than ever EA is a ship of fools.

The deforming is probably a result of bone assignments, it shouldn't deform, but that's EA for you >_<
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:15:39 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 07:58:28 pm »

Your welcome.
I did fool arround with material settings a little but dont know all the settings(i do search at wiki sometimes)
The golden reflection is awesome, didn't had a clue it could be that realistic.
So my thanks also to you Smiley

No longer active
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: