Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ITS NOT WORTH IT!  (Read 18804 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
fytj

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 08:57:29 pm »

If a programming team knows their sh*t, this kind of thing does not happen. I mean we're not talking tiny bugs here, we're talking hard crashes, horrible audio clipping, and a huge memory leak. This is amatuerish at best. I've tested for up and coming developers and those developers have put out beta software that's more stable than this.

Oh come on! The Sims 2 is not some tiny little game where you have to shoot things or pass levels; it is a LIFE simulation. And as we all know, life is a very BIG thing so it is normal for a programming team to miss some bugs. And it's not like they don't fix it and let us down: after all, they make patches(which in my opinion is not a shame, a LOT of great games will need fixing after they've been released). I personally haven't had ANY bugs so far and I feel like it was money well spent. If you really think that the Sims 2 programers' work is so crappy then just keep your money and don't play the bloody game instead of calling people who work hard on this "amateurs". I'm not saying that you're not right with the quality/profit thing, I'm just saying that in the end it is the person with the wallet (you) who decides what to do. Nobody FORCES you to buy the game so if you think that The Sims 2 is not good enough in your opinon, just don't buy it.
I feel sorry for people who have crashes and stuff cause I know how frustrating it is but this is just silly: Claiming that a game is "not worth it" without even playing it might be THE most ridiculous thing I've heard on this board so far.
And don't forget that A LOT of problems can be avoided by upgrading and cleaning your computer. I bet that at least 50% of the people who're having major crashes and stuff didn't correctly prepare their computer for the new expansion...
Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 10:35:06 pm »

First off, I never said the base game was coded poorly.  The base game was about as flacid as a republican prior to the cool custom content, but it worked pretty damn well.  When I said the game was coded poorly, I meant Bon Voyage.  And how would I know if Bon Voyage had all these issues unless I installed it first?  And how am I supposed to install it without buying it first?

See here's the problem with your wallet statement..

You see a game.. it looks good.. you have to buy it to play it.  If you don't like it.. tough.  They don't allow you to return it for a cash refund.  Sure, you can sell it on Ebay and lose 60% of what you paid for it, but that's illogical.  So you realize you're stuck with this poorly coded piece of software.. so do you take it up the ass like a choirboy or do you speak your mind and tell others how poorly made the product is?

Secondly, "shoot things or pass levels"?  If you mean first person shooters, you must really love Maxis.  Most of first person shooters have a far more advanced AI than the Sims, not only a more advanced AI but superior in every other way as well, from graphics to audio.  But that's two different genres of games so it really isn't fair to compare the two.  

If Maxis releases a patch for this within the week and it fixes the issues.. I'll take back what I said about them being amateurs.  If it takes longer than a month though.. that'll show just how much they care about the consumers Wink.

Third, how many here do you think actually do buy the games and don't just pirate them?  That would make an interesting poll if people were honest.

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 11:18:51 pm »

I'm beginning to lean towards the amateur position.  Not because of the bugs or poor consideration for hardware available on the market, but because of the code I've been looking at and working with, along with what I've picked up from twojeffs and jase439.  

Advertising for those obsessive beach activities are ridiculously high.  It's taken me 2 days to come up with a way to defeat their advertising and put in on a reasonable level.  

WoohooTeens for BV was delayed so long because a completely new method of woohoo was coded for the hammocks.  The sauna and tent were straight forward using the same method as beds, cars, hottubs, photobooths, and changing booths.  

Simple mods like Jordi's weird clothing hiders suddenly don't work.  No new clothing categories were added with BV.  Only noticeable change for clothing is you can now plan clothing at clothing booths.  Poof, no more hiders.

Then there's the massage table.  It's not currently teen enabled, so I go in to make a simple change to the menu.  Enable teens.  That's it.  But there is no TTAB or menu functions in the semi-global file.  Rather than a small change, I had to clone the object to get the table.  No problem.  Click, click.  Teen enabled.  But now it's disabled for adults to initiate asking for or receiving a massage.  Teen can do it and the adult become involved, but not the other way.  Somewhere buried in the code is a check that requires the recipient of a massage to be an adult or elder.  Parents, you cannot give your child a massage.  Huh?

From several other coders, this new code for BV looks like it was put together by first year computer science majors as part of their entrance exam to the program.  The majority of the experienced programmers are probably working on TS3 with a handful sprinkled between BV, the Teen Stuff Pack, and the Hobbies EP.

It's still EA that controls the project's release date and the amount of money and other resources available for this project and others they have in the works.  Perhaps with more resources and time the coding could have been cleaner.  In any case, the programmers don't appear to have approached this EP with the same half ass approach they have with the others.  This one shows their full ass.
Dizi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 11:38:48 pm »

Let me be clear first that I have no idea about the problems modders, creators, and such have. If you were to show me a line of code all I could say is "Gee, that's nice." So, honestly, I do admire that YOU can see and understand all that. Really. However, the average player who can't see the problems you do, like me, who gets this expansion, removes all mods and has it work for them just fine, can be very happy with it. We'll all be very grateful for the changes and mods you make but we really cannot concieve of your frustrations. As far as we know, the game is fine and wonderful. Personally, I prefer to keep that feeling about the game, otherwise I would have quit playing it long ago.
~dizi

Thanks to everybody who submits their work, you've made my game so wonderful sometimes I can't STAND it!
My X-Men fanfiction can be found here and pics of my X-Men and other sims here (everythings under 'scraps')
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 12:16:15 am »

Oh, don't get me wrong.  My game is working fine.  Before I was happy.  Now I'm amazed!  lol
Ali
Short, fat n Cuddly!
Admin

I got a luverly bunch of c.... oops, wrong site!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 03:08:25 am »

Quote from: scerebe;936452
I'm sorry I made a comment in reguard to how I felt about waiting to get BV. I didn't know it was a crime. And as far as the release of EP's and there problems, BV seems to be the worst. I have bought everey game the first day it came out reguardless of problems. This time I have decided to wait- I like having the hacks and perfer to play with them in there. So, shoot me!

it's not a crime, but don't go all wounded soldier just because there are people out there that don't agree with your opinion

I, for one, have never understood how I never get any real problems with EPs when for so many people a new EP causes game crashes, computer meltdown, bodily warts, brain embolisms, halitosis and all kinds of seemingly apocalyptic problems. Sure, there are a few little minor irritations and of course the endless new obsessive behaviours until some wonderful person can make them 'no autonomous'! but nothing that's going to make me walk away in disgust and wish I'd never bought it

A lot of the hacks that need updating were actually done before I even got my copy of the game - living in the UK we get it a few days later than the US, by which time the most critical mods for me were updated

Quote from: ancienthighway
It's taken me 2 days to come up with a way to defeat their advertising and put in on a reasonable level.  

oh please *bats eyelashes* share the wealth!!

personally I do think it's worth it, but Scerebe I do respect the fact that you don't Smiley

"They're a rum lot, the Yorkshire folk. You can't fool them, you certainly can't get away with much and they call a spade a spade. Or rather, they call a spade 'a bloody shovel'" Mark Addy
Gen_Lee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 05:56:59 am »

Well I got Pets for more then 6 months after release and only instaled it about 3 weeks ago.
 As Seasons I got it as soon as I read that hacks worked with it.
 I already got Bv but will not install it untill all hacks I like work with it.
 As it seems it is as buggy as Pets probably mot only after hacks are compatible but also as the 1st patch is out.
Al_Bundy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 06:29:56 am »

I have everything you can buy for sims installed and my game is working just fine. One thing you really need to think about is everything you are downloading if you really need it and are going to use it I have 7.58gb with stuff in my download folder, that is 14918 files in 284 folders.Before I cleaned up my download I have more then twice of everything and the game acted a bit funny sometime.
I never have had big problems with sims that have made the game unplayable and I have always bought all stuff for sims the first day it has been available.If the EP that you are buying have a bug you know that EA will release a fix for it as soon as they can.
Sins I love the game so much and it's the only game I am playing I just buyswhat ever that is being released because I know I will love it and I know EA will take care of the problems if there are some.
I have been doing this with sims since the first sims 1 was released.I don't know how much money I have spend on the sims one serie and now the sims two serie,I don't regret one single swedish krona that  have spend on this game through the years.
And that is also the reasong for why I donate to the insimenator site,I love the game and I love all the ppl making stuff for it that I uses in my game everyday

I am not stupid, I just have bad luck when I am thinking
KristalRose

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 08:50:35 am »

I was just listening to the song "Under Pressure" and thinking that's probably what the programmers were going though. Pressure from management to meet a deadline and have something ready for it's scheduled release, and as long as it did what it says on the box: "Now, your sims can go on vacations!" it didn't matter if it has a few glitches.

We're a gaming family. I'm a Sims-addict, my husband and sons are into shooters, and my oldest boy will play any video game he can get his hands on with the exception of "Barbie's Dream World" and "Dora the Explorer." haha Right now, we have in our kitchen, "Game Fuel by Mountain Dew" that is an advertisement for Halo 3. Not to be outdone, I am drinking Diet Pepsi that has a promotion for Madden 08 going. My long-winded point is that this is video game release season, and I'm sure that all the programers are under more pressure than we realize to churn our a product in time for the holidays.

It is not an excuse for them by any means. . . I too am as angry as Deviency right now over the many recalls in the past few months. I had to sneak into my children's room while they were gone and toss out some of their toys because they were on the recall list. I had to throw out Peanut Butter because it had been recalled, and regret using it to make cookies with my kids before I knew it was recalled! This is the materialistic culture we live in, for better or worse. I don't have a solution.
Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 10:45:45 am »

Quote from: KristalRose;937305
I too am as angry as Deviency right now over the many recalls in the past few months. I had to sneak into my children's room while they were gone and toss out some of their toys because they were on the recall list. I had to throw out Peanut Butter because it had been recalled, and regret using it to make cookies with my kids before I knew it was recalled! This is the materialistic culture we live in, for better or worse. I don't have a solution.

There's a solution but it requires an ulcer Wink.  Actually it's just about boycotting companies that create products that are half assed.  THousands of parents should be outside of Mattel's company protesting as well as boycotting their toys.  Mattel released a statement claiming they're going to be good now, but the toys have had lead in them for nearly 20 years.  And you know whats sad?  I mean what got lead in the toys and mercury in the fish and drugs in the cows.  Then we wonder why there's been a hike in children born with autism.  If we had a government that worked, Mattel would have been shut down.  

But boycotting works, love em or hate em.. Peta has got companies to comply on a lot of things because of boycotting as well as protesting.  If Peta cared about kids, they'd have had Mattel shut down by now.  But Mattel isn't the only one to blame on the issue with your kids toys.  Walmart  continues to deal with China and you have to understand that China is a hell hole.  They're hybrid of capitalism and communism, so you got one half of the country in total poverty and another half livin' the 90210 lifestyle.  So I doubt they really care about barbie being laced with lead.  

As for Maxis.. I get the impression EA pushes them to meet specific dates regardless if the software is totally tested.  I just don't understand how they made so many coding mistakes though and why they tried to use alternative coding for woohoos on different things when the same code would have worked.  So yeah, these mistakes won't always show up on the users end right away.  But seriously, those of you without problems.. be cautious of the memory leak.

The lag I'm going through is at times is gone now because of the steps I posted on another thread.  However, I'm still getting random crashes and random black screens of death.  Not fun.. especially if I haven't saved in awhile.  But sometimes there's a warning, when the sim goes to do something the game will go to a blue screen and the hourglass will roll around.. then the game will come back.  That means "save and quit".. because a crash is on the way.  That's due to the memory leak, pretty sure at least.  I hope they release a patch.. sniff..

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007, 12:10:35 pm »

Quote from: Aliwag;937068

oh please *bats eyelashes* share the wealth!!

personally I do think it's worth it, but Scerebe I do respect the fact that you don't Smiley

My nerfs are in Burnt Offerings over at the Inteen site.  Just like my siggie says.
KristalRose

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 12:30:25 pm »

Quote from: Deviancy;937529
There's a solution but it requires an ulcer Wink. Actually it's just about boycotting companies that create products that are half assed. THousands of parents should be outside of Mattel's company protesting as well as boycotting their toys. Mattel released a statement claiming they're going to be good now, but the toys have had lead in them for nearly 20 years. And you know whats sad? I mean what got lead in the toys and mercury in the fish and drugs in the cows. Then we wonder why there's been a hike in children born with autism. If we had a government that worked, Mattel would have been shut down.

Yep, I totally agree with you, Deviancy.  (Sorry I misspelled your name in my 1st post, btw).  When I went on Mattel's website to see how many of my kids toys were covered under the recall, it told me that anything I had bought before, like, May, was safe.  WTF?  Did they suddenly change paint on all these toys?  No!  I believe that they just want to keep the actual numbers of recalled toys down.  I went ahead and threw out about 20 toys. .. most of them were the "Cars" figures, "Dora" and "Diego" figures, "Polly Pocket" , and Barbie's pets. I protect my kids fiercely, and I will never take a chance on their health.  I want to take those toys I through out and shove them up the CEO of Mattel's neither-regions.

Okay, sorry for the rant, we're wayyyyy off topic now.
INVIDQUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2007, 12:39:24 pm »

I discovered Sims2 in April this year and fell in love. I loaded all of the EP and never had a problem until Bon VOyage. I removed all of my custom content and did everything right. After the first time I played, several and my families and homes disappered! Gone. Luckily I had backed up the game. The same thing happened to a friend's daughter.  I'm relieved to find out it wasn't something I did, but probably bugs that need to be worked out.  Just a comment, this is my first time posting, and I notice a lot of hostility in the posts. Isn't the idea of a forum to express, look for sympathy and inform?  Everyone will have different experiences and frustrations, so mellow out some of you. This is what makes the whole community thing so neat.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 01:04:49 pm »

Just a comment, this is my first time posting, and I notice a lot of hostility in the posts. Isn't the idea of a forum to express, look for sympathy and inform? Everyone will have different experiences and frustrations, so mellow out some of you. This is what makes the whole community thing so neat.

That's not hostility.  That's people passionate about their games and beliefs Cheesy
fytj

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 03:35:10 pm »

And how would I know if Bon Voyage had all these issues unless I installed it first? And how am I supposed to install it without buying it first?

When I said that claiming the game was "not worth it" without buying it, I was not referring to you but to the person who started this thread.
And I also think that a poll about if you downloaded or bought the game would be interesting cause there certainly ARE people complainig about bugs and crashes although they downloaded the game without paying for it...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: