Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:17:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sims backup help.. and more dirt on BV  (Read 3971 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:38:01 pm »

I'm about to build a new pc, it'll be using a 250 gig sata drive, currently I'm using an ata.

In other words.. I'm going to have to re-install the Sims stuff..

So this is what I need to know..

How do I back up my families, lots and stuff.

I know the downloads folder and saved sims folder need to be saved to a cd.  But do I just take the EA Games folder from within "my documents" and burn that to a cd?  Is that how it's done?  Now let us say that is exactly what I do, I have a question within that one.

Lets say I have the following installed..

Sims 2
Nightlife
Pets
Seasons
Bon Voyage

So I back up the EA Games folder...

Install the new drive.. put on XP..

Then install..

Sims 2
Nightlife
Open for Business
Pets
Seasons
Bon Voyage..

Will that cause an issue with backing up the data I saved from the previous install since the previous didn't include OFB.  Or do I install OFB after I install Bon Voyage. I usually go in release date order.

Speaking of the game..

I always use..

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

To check to see if I can a run game.

The optimal system requirements for Bon Voyage are quite a bit different than what EA had listed last I checked.  This may explain some of the crashing and lag..

Processor
Recommended: 2.4 G

Ram
Recommended: 1 GB

Seasons had slightly different requirements..

Processor
Recommended: 2.4 GHz

Ram
Recommended: 512 MB

So it hopped by 512.. accorded to srtest.

You always want to have 512 more than recommended.. so when I get the new system built.. it'll have 2 gigs.. see if that helps.  I'm also going onboard sound rather than my audigy 4.  The guys at the shop said they even are having issues with creative's soundcards and clipping with other games.  Supposedly Creative is making half ass products now..

Then again.. I heard a few complain about lag using 2gigs of ram.. while running a dual core machine.  However, I forgot to check to see what graphics card they're using.  I notice a lot of good dual core machines are being sold with geforce 8400's which are crap cards.  I mean you can get them for 40 bucks on Ebay.

EA doesn't seem to want take responsibility for that annoying black screen error some are getting.  They seem to want to blame Nvidia on that one.  I guess they forgot they're the ones who are supposed to test their software on what is currently out there.. not what may come later.  Although, I installed the beta drivers Nvidia has on their website.  I get a few more hangups while the sims are doing they're thing, but the black screen sometimes happens less.  It still happens.. but less.. I think.  But the warning is still there.. when the game goes to that darker blue screen with the sims hourglass.. that's usually a warning to save and get the hell out.  The second time it happens.. the black screen usually hits.. It also happens a lot less if you only have a small house with one or two sims on the lot.  The bigger the lot/home.. the more sims.. the more prone it is to go boom.  

Oh well..

:blob6:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:42:53 pm by Deviancy » Logged

Dizi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:03 pm »

I know you can use an old neighborhood, an old save that is, and it will work fine when you have added an expansion. The expansion will save from that and then you can't go backwards. What I mean is that if your saved filed are for basegame, uni, and pets, then you add ofb and seasons but decide you didn't like pets and don't want to use it anymore, well the saved game won't work. If you just add more it will but you can't take one away and use the same save. I hope that made sense. I have no clue about the technical stuff.
~dizi

Thanks to everybody who submits their work, you've made my game so wonderful sometimes I can't STAND it!
My X-Men fanfiction can be found here and pics of my X-Men and other sims here (everythings under 'scraps')
Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:52:28 pm »

So basically..

Sims + Nightlife + Pets + Seasons = Save game
Sims + Nightlife + OFB + Pets + Seasons = Save Game
Sims + Nightlife + OFB + Pets - Seasons = No Go..

I probably won't even add OFB.. it's just a thought..

Now on to the fun part.. backing everything up..

Sims stuff is only a few gigs.. but music.. eeesh.. It's a good thing I'm not the sentimental type and save email.

Mihura

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:35:44 pm »

Yes if you have music and other things that simple downloads save all the Sims 2 folder (in My Documents). Besides, all the stories and characters, houses etc. are in the "Neighborhoods" subfolder.
But it must be more than 700 MB. If you have an external disk it's a good way for transfering this folder. Wink

No, as far as I have see you can reinstall old neighborhoods without the new EP and there isn't any problem (I have lately install an old neighborhood which have only Academy and Nighlife and it has been a pleasure to add the others EP to it tongue).

If you have the choice for your new computer, try maybe to use another graphic card than Nvidia. :rabbit: Arf ! Good luck in any case ! Smiley
Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:08:06 pm »

I backed up everything to fast.  I won't have the new pc ready till the weekend or monday.  But now that I have the EA Games folder from My documents on a disc, I can just back up the neighborhoods folder on my flash drive and overwrite the one I backed up on the dvdr.  I just have to avoid downloading CC until monday.. heh.

As for ATI Vs. Nvidia.. it comes down to small things.  I never liked how ATI handled lighting, that may have changed since 03 but I have my doubts.  If I only played SIms 2.. not a problem.  But I play to many other games..

But on Monday I'll test things.. see what I can figure out.

I do think they may have beefed up things a bit to much on BV which may be causing issues in a big way if people were used to getting by on the requirements from Pets or Seasons.  A 512 hop is kind of significant..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: