Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 07:36:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Save Sim Files To CD or DVD?  (Read 2300 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
alamb1

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2007, 06:26:37 pm »

How To Copy Sims Files To CD or DVD?

I am going to reformating my computer and want to save my downloads safely to a disk. I have attempted to save my DBPF package files to both a CD and a DVD. It tells me windows has encountered a problem with copying the file. Why is this and how do I save them?  I do have them on an external drive but I wanted to be double sure not to lose any. I also wanted to copy some of them to my husbands computer so I can play in there.
I appreciate any help anyone has as I am confused::smilieiforgetwhi::
kaitco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:12:57 am »

How are you "saving" them? Are you burning them through a specific software like Nero and that is where you are getting your error, or are you doing something else?

You should just be able to burn the files onto a DVD (I say DVD because a CD would most likely be too small), but depending on what files you are burning, you may be running out of room. My personal Sims 2 folder (as in the folder where the games are saved) is 3.64GB and I do not have a lot of custom content. If you have a lot of custom content, you may want to burn everything else to a DVD first and then burn the downloads onto a separate disk.

Hope this helps.

DorienneSmith.com ~ where life finds meaning...or at least, that is what I claim

alamb1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:39:02 pm »

I am not using Nero, just windows.  It works fine for CD's but yes my files are too large for a CD, which is why I was trying to use the DVD.  It tells me "windows has encountered a problem when trying to copy this file and what do I want to do, retry or cancel.  Retry does nothing.  That is what I am trying to do and what is happening.  I do appreciate your help very much. Smiley
kaitco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 08:47:46 pm »

What exactly are you doing when you say you are using "windows?" Are you copying all the items and just pasting into the explorer window, and then burning or this there another program involved. Also, what operating system are you using: Vista? XP? 98? I just need a clear picture to the whole process so I can figure out why an error is occurring.

It sounds initially (if you are copying and pasting and using the menu to burn) like a problem I have had with DVD burning. Depending on how your burner is configured (ie: pre-installed with the computer versus bought and installed afterward), an actual program may need to be used because of how the DVD reads its "image."

DorienneSmith.com ~ where life finds meaning...or at least, that is what I claim

killertomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:56:01 am »

I'm no expert in these things but I can suggest what I've done. You can zip your downloads folder and then try burning it to a DVD. I use Nero but don't think it matters as long as files are compressed.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 06:38:48 am »

It sounds like they might not have a DVD/ CD burner-Windows itself is not a burner, there is a separate drive system that has to be installed for burning DVD's that also requires a separate program to be also installed.
I use a DVD burner and "Record Now" program for saving my files.

Bev in NY

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:37:20 pm »

well don't kow if u r still checkin this thread for info...I have windows vista and i copied my downloads folder "which doesn't have alot of stuff"...to my desktop with copy and paste in a new folder..name it what u want and then i just opened that folder and at the top it says burn and i clicked it and it said to insert disc and it copied it...and now i just copied from the cd and put it back on my desktop...no special program or anything....i don't kow if this will work for u...but if u try it i hope u can get it done....

BEV
dreamcatchermwh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 10:37:11 pm »

I read some where you need to compress your files after saving them before you burn them.Or i could be wrong but i would try that too.

Appreciation is a wonderful thing . It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.:grin:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: