Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 04:47:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bugs are myth's" according to Maxis/Releasedate 'Hobbies'  (Read 5727 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
maniac19642003
« on: September 30, 2007, 02:37:39 pm »

Just saw all this at snootysims.

You may have read Maxis' response to the Bon Voyage bugs and secuROM on the Sims BBS here: MaxoidSam message
I have much respect for MaxoidSam but I completely disagree with this statement. This tourguide bug is the most critical bug ever to hit a Sims game and dismissing it as a 'myth' is a big and concerning mistake on Maxis' side.
MaxoidSam is right with saying 50 extra npc's won't harm your game. 100 or maybe even 500 extra npc's won't harm your game, but do you want all those hundreds of useless npc's in your gamedata, slowing it down, without a way of removing them? Of course not. I urge everybody to download MATY's bugfix. It's just a matter of moving it into your Downloads folder to stop the useless NPC spawning. Want to remove the patch? Just delete the file. It's that simple.

Thesims2.co.za brings the news that several online stores have started to take pre-orders for the next expansion. They are all using the work title "The Sims 2: Hobbies" which may still change. Amazon, EB games and others all gave a release date of February 12, 2008
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:06:49 pm »

Quote from: MaxoidSam
We will be tuning down the odds that a Sim will choose to have a fight on their own considerably in a patch.

Hooray! Should have done that for Seasons...

Thesims2.co.za brings the news that several online stores have started to take pre-orders for the next expansion. They are all using the work title "The Sims 2: Hobbies" which may still change. Amazon, EB games and others all gave a release date of February 12, 2008

Another EP? Already? They've only just released BV which needs patching! :oogle:

Thanks for the update though Smiley

No requests please
laurenke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 04:52:17 pm »

Yes, MaxoidSam's attitude toward serious issues in the game aggravates me to no end.  He and the rest of the team seems to believe that the doom and gloom stories of people's games being rendered inoperable due to excessive character files (which the bug in BV increases) is nothing more than a "theory."

I called him on it.  He and I got in a debate where I claimed there were problems and he refused to believe it.

The thread was deleted.  Maybe people who visit the BBS remember?  He stickied a thread threatening to ban people who discussed the missing thread.

Gotta love censorship.

Anyways, I have a saved copy of the thread-that-is-not-to-be-named.  I encourage you all to read it.

The Sporum | Spore, The Sims 2, Heroes, Lost
The DI has returned
DecoraChroi
Frigid Witch
Super Mod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:59:52 pm »

Thank you Larenke. *kicks back with a lemonade while reading*

"The power to question is the basis of all human progress."
laurenke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 05:09:01 pm »

Heh.  You're welcome.

Sam Player is already taking a more active role in trying to fix game issues ever since I argued with him and have been spreading the deleted post around, as evidenced by his recent postings at MATY.

Odd, huh? Tongue

Naturally, I am suspicious of his intentions and chalk them up to damage control and perceived good will toward the community.  But at least what I said had some sort of effect.

The DI has returned
babyblue1387

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:43:59 am »

That was most definitely an interest read. Talk about shaking consumer confidence.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:43:54 am »

Man, I really hate how condescending those maxoids can be.  It's things like these that always remind me to hold off buying their products until later, because of how they handle many problems like these as "non-major".  God forbid the poor people really feeling the lag problems on lower-end computers actually believe this:

It would take months and months of 24-hour play of Bon Voyage for this bug to create enough extraneous character files to have any significant impact on game performance, and we will have a patch for you that stops these extra files from being created long before that ever happens.

:angry7:  Do they even think about the people who don't meet the game's minimum requirements?  Whether there's limits in video graphics, RAM, or even hard drive space, there are some people that still play the game under the minimum requirements.  Not everyone can afford to upgrade their computers, so I'm sure there's a lot of people who still endure those issues just for the love of the game.  Now, suppose the amount of sims are extremely important for those people's games to work properly.  The constant respawning of unneeded NPCs just adds to the stress on their gameplay.  I know it's a big problem for that type of situation, because even when I was playing on my old PC almost a year and a half ago, I had major issues with the number of sims I had in my game.  The thing has a 64MB VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP video card, 448MB RAM, and an AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor @ 2.80GHz (which barely did any justice because the graphics and memory brought the game quality way down).  Having 40 of my own (along with the default townies, downtownies, YAs, NPCs, and extra families from EPs 1-3) almost proved fatal to my neighborhood, because there was very little animation.  The gameplay was so choppy I might as well have had it all on triple speed just to go normal.  Not only that, it would sometimes crash after a while.  I can't even imagine having those extra sims spawning all over the game for no reason, especially with my old game!  :smt120

Like I said before, not everyone can afford computer upgrades, so just telling those people that it's not a big deal is definitely a bunch of :bs:.  (And yes, before someone says it, telling them that their computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements will not solve the problem with the BV NPC spam.  Yes, it's probably obvious the game isn't running to its fullest potential on someone's machine.  No, it's not the solution that they need to concern themselves with at the moment... but I digress.)   If they just go ahead, treat these things as "important", and correctly fix the stuff they always manage to break when either "patching' or "adding" to code, then there'd probably be less of a fuss about so many of these types of bugs.  We shouldn't have to constantly rely on Pescado and other modders to fix the mistakes that EA debuggers/coders/programmers/(whatever they call themselves) are getting paid to do.  (Though it's greatly appreciated.  Wink )  I find that quite shameful to EA that they (the modders in our community) do a better job of cleaning up the messes that have been made.

*steps off soapbox and throws her bottle of Mountain Dew GF away...*

As always, thanks for showing us the informative posts, maniac and laurenke.  :angel:  I'm still finding it hard to believe that a Maxoid has strayed into the depths of MATY!  I must be missing out on a lot of things... :laugh:

Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

@Tenshii: I know! I was surprised myself - that guy's either brave or stupid, going somewhere like there! Wink Still, he got all the feedback he wanted and still more, let's just hope he puts it to good use.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:13:27 am by Sadie79 » Logged

No requests please
laurenke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 11:56:28 am »

I can and can't believe he went there at the same time.  MaxoidTom posted on MATY in a similar vain during the Uni fiasco.  It apparently takes a gigantic screw-up to get them to at least talk of changing their act.

The DI has returned
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:46:47 pm »

I, for one remember the UNI fiasco. Being dense on the load the game gave my computer, I had to reinstall not once but 2 times. Then I learned about the Sims 2 community and learned what can cause overload.  When I read Sam's response in the BBS, I really had increased belief that they don't care about anyone having issues with glitches and crashes, just getting the funds from us and carrying on business as normal.  No matter how many custom hacks and patches people have put in this game, once they are removed, there is still serious problems with it.  Come on Maxiods, get your heads out of your bosses butts and look at this clearly. Is it really important to gain raises in a company, that don't provide the customers with what is promised? I guess they are all fortune sims irl, LOL!  I for one, believe in quality before quantity, but that doesn't fly in today's market.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: