Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:45:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you get first? Graphics card or Ram?  (Read 1012 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
meganbielby
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:03:14 am »

Here are my stats
HP Pavillion Intel Pentium 4 CPU
2.93 Ghz, 512mb of RAM ( usually have only 250-350 of unused RAM )
142 Gb hard drive--only 40.2 Gbs unused
Microsoft X home edition
Page File 279 MB used

Grahics Card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Approx total mem:128.0 MB

I have Sims 2 ( and 1 )
Expansion packs:
University
Nightlife
Open for Business
Pets
Lot's of stuff packs ( I think I have them all )

I just found Seasons and Bon Voyage and I am buying them as well.
I also have TONS of custom content

Problems: Very slow load time, much too slow game play and it will stop and go through the whole time, very choppy as well.
When I had just SIMS 2, it worked pretty good. Smooth game play, shorter load times but I had to have all the graphics turned way down.
I have checked all my custom stuff as well, and it doesn't seem to be any one file, just all the extras themselves.

Today I can either get a 1GB RAM or a better graphics card ( the other I don't get will have to wait a few weeks) I can live with the poorer graphics for a few more weeks but want it to load and play quicker/smoother. So I was thinking memory but not quite sure. What would make it quicker? I am also getting those other EPs today but don't want to install them until I have the game fixed a bit. Does more EP's and custom content need more memory or graphics?
Anyone who had this problem as well and got it fixed, what worked best for you?

Thanks and sorry this is so long, Hope you have all the info you need!
Alasdair

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:23:41 am »

If it were me I would get the Memory first, though I would try and get the video card as soon as I could.

I think the Memory will greatly improve your game play.

Alasdair
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:06:57 am »

Increase your system RAM to 2 gigabytes and, as Alasdair says, a better video card won't hurt.  The Intel 910 is not the worst video chip on the market, but it is far from the best.  With recent changes at ATI (both in the direction of their development and support), I would not even consider an ATI card at this time.  Look for the best NVIDIA card you can afford.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: