Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 04:17:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Securom isn't bad' according to Maxis  (Read 29833 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
alkaloid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 09:19:22 pm »

I just thought I'd add that I got SeruRom from the H&M stuff pack. Just sayin'.

ETA: I have everything *but* BV installed, and I've had success removing Securom using UnHookExec.inf from symantec, and using the "full game" option with the Base Game Starter. (Although it may just be that I haven't had a reinfection because the required launch disk is Seasons, not H&M.)

I still have a LOT of collateral damage, though. This came to my attention when I caught a virus and I noticed some major bugs that turned out to be designed to prevent detection and removal. I've had to switch from Norton to another antivirus, and many of my peripherals (including my back up hard drive), are still partially disabled. At this point, I'm probably going to have to do a full backup/reinstall and just live without H&M.

Does anyone know if any of the talented hackers around here are working on a patch that will let the affected games run after SecuRom has been removed?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:12:15 pm by alkaloid » Logged

knightguy82

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 11:45:32 pm »

Quote from: alkaloid;979967
Does anyone know if any of the talented hackers around here are working on a patch that will let the affected games run after SecuRom has been removed?

you could check MATY theres a topic on this  

More Awesome Than You! - The Podium - *****

i dont think its allowed here or i'd post the link Smiley

tho since you only have HM Fashion installed i wouldnt thought SecuRom would be installed as you used the Seasons cd to run the game

The "official" EAxis explanation/admission/excuse could hopefully offer some insight to SecuRom & HM Fashion
dreamcatchermwh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 12:00:16 am »

Why all the chatter about this secuROM everybody is talking like it something new .This is not new it has been added since Pets came out .It hasn't made any difference on my computer.I don't plan on copying or burning any of my EA games so makes no difference to me.There are many programs available to defeat securom for the purpose of archiving your own disk.

Appreciation is a wonderful thing . It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.:grin:
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 12:06:29 am »

:shock:  I thought they started using it with H&M?  Wasn't Safedisc used for Pets (and of course all the lower EPs/SPs)?  Now I'm a bit more confused on that matter... :scratch:

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 12:54:45 am »

SafeDisc copyright protection software was used until Bon Voyage (possibly also Celebrations Stuff) so saith the Maxoids.  I would have been passing blood in my stools if it were part of Seasons.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
fftamfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 07:59:10 am »

Quote from: dreamcatchermwh;980168
Why all the chatter about this secuROM everybody is talking like it something new .This is not new it has been added since Pets came out .It hasn't made any difference on my computer.I don't plan on copying or burning any of my EA games so makes no difference to me.There are many programs available to defeat securom for the purpose of archiving your own disk.

Pets ep had used safedisc not securom. H&M and supposedly celebrations stuff packs, bon voyage and sims2 deluxe have securom. Maybe when you installed pets you had other games that installed securom software.

Its not that for the purpose of copying/burning ea games (why on earth would people bother doing that?, its impossible to backup ea games without tweaking and customizing the anti-piracy software anyhows). What securom does affects legitimate consumers whom have issues with their burning software with all burning features eg.backup data, audio, pictures/family albums etc., antivirus programs, virtual drives, photoshop, itunes, playing dvd movies, experiencing memory leaks and so on. It compromises alot of software, which is why securom is highly intrusive. If some people are not affected yet, it will eventually degrade the performance of the pc, its just only a matter of time and depends on what software that securom doesn't like.
cecesaun1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 08:25:05 pm »

I know this is long, but I'm not good at doing links...sorry.

A simmer posted this today:

After having many issues trying to maintain the use and control of my optical drives and firewall software security levels since the installation of Bon Voyage and therefore the crappy piece of drm software that is securom, I finally gave up and formatted and reinstalled my system with one very important change. I changed the internet security suite I use to a product by F-Secure.
The first time I attemtped to run Bon Voyage after locking down internet access to the Launcher and game executable and other executable files in the tsbin directory, I got the following message from my firewall:

System modification Attempt:
System control has noticed that an application is attempting to modify the system which is potentially dangerous. The application is: CmdLineExtInstallerExe.exe.

Upon a casual search, I was not able to even FIND this file but after turning on the "view hidden files" option I did find it in the following directory: c:\Documents and Settings\rlc\Local Settings\Temp. When I checked the properties of this file, I found that the signer of this file was SonyDADC Austria AG!!!!

I also found the following files in that same directory:
drm_dialogs.dll - properties listed as SecuROM Dynamic DAta Module version 1.2.0.4 Copyright
2004/2005 Sony DADC Austria

drm-dyndata7330014.dll - properties listed as SecuRom DynamicDataModule Version 1.0.03 copyright
2004/2005 Sony DADC Austria AG

drm-dyndata7330017.dll-properties listed as SecuRom DynamicDataModule Version 1.0.03 copyright

It gets worse from here. This stupid installer file somehow in spite of my firewall settings that are supposed to deny its ability now and forever to alter my system keeps attempting each and every time I load the game to ALTER MY SYSTEM! I always deny the right but the thing is, I tell it every time that I want this application blocked from making any changes permanently but somehow the drm software still gets to attempt to change my system each time. Thank goodness for a good security suite that I get to block it every time but this is ridiculous!!!

This Maxoid Sam's 'explanation' of her findings:
Quote from Maxoid Sam:
(I edited out posters name, other than that it's exact)

I agree that this looked fishy when I read it, so I sent it to Sony DADC asking for a response. I've juxtaposed the OP's text a bit in my post to hopefully make this easier to understand:
When a player installs Bon Voyage, several files are loaded into the C:\Documents and Settings\...\temp directory as described here. This is a common practice for most software programs (including The Sims 2). SecuROM does this as well. If you visit that directory on your machine and view the hidden files (Windows will allow you to do this), you will likely recognize files and icons from every piece of software you have installed.

These kinds of files are usually set to be "hidden" so that a user does not accidentally alter them. Doing so could cause your software to no longer function.

These files are activated upon launch of the game, as the game is going through it's license check to ensure that the "executable" (the game program) being run is a valid, licensed copy.

Poster:
The first time I attemtped to run Bon Voyage after locking down internet access to the Launcher and game executable and other executable files in the tsbin directory, I got the following message from my firewall:

System modification Attempt:
System control has noticed that an application is attempting to modify the system which is potentially dangerous. The application is: CmdLineExtInstallerExe.exe.

This file is used to is to allow the ability to perform the generation of the analysis file for customer support.

Poster:
I also found the following files in that same directory:
drm_dialogs.dll - properties listed as SecuROM Dynamic DAta Module version 1.2.0.4 Copyright
2004/2005 Sony DADC Austria

This dll is used to return the proper error dialogs should an issue with an attempted launch occur (DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_link_library).

Poster:
drm-dyndata7330014.dll - properties listed as SecuRom DynamicDataModule Version 1.0.03 copyright

A dll used for specific communication between a certain version of SecuROM and the optical disc drive.

Poster:
drm-dyndata7330017.dll-properties listed as SecuRom DynamicDataModule Version 1.0.03 copyright

A dll used for specific communication between a certain version of SecuROM and the optical disc drive.

The F-Secure program uses the terminology "modify the system" to describe those files being called when you start the game. That specific terminology is certainly alarming, but technically accurate, as the files in that \Temp directory are technically known as "system files" and they are being modified as the game starts and runs it's licensing check.

Poster:
This stupid installer file somehow in spite of my firewall settings that are supposed to deny its ability now and forever to alter my system keeps attempting each and every time I load the game to ALTER MY SYSTEM! I always deny the right but the thing is, I tell it every time that I want this application blocked from making any changes permanently but somehow the drm software still gets to attempt to change my system each time.

This would be correct behavior. If you're seeing this dialog everytime you start the game, then the SecuROM is performing its check. If you were to be getting these errors at any other time during gameplay, then there could be cause for alarm, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. skydancerSim, you can clarify that if you like.

Hope this answers the question and calms the concern. Thanks.

-sam

Then I go back to the Boards and I see this new sticky posted called:

"Important edit to "Official SecuRom Statement and FAQ safedisc"

One of the major sources of contention about SecuROM is that once uninstalled from one's PC, the registry key remains behind in the PC's Windows Registry. The frustration has been, paraphrasing here, "I want it off, and I want it COMPLETELY off."
Another point of contention has been, again paraphrasing, "why switch to SecuROM if SafeDisc was so much better?"

Since we haven't had much success convincing anyone that leaving registry keys behind is a very common practice when uninstalling software in Windows, I thought I'd check something out.

SafeDisc is another of these software programs that does the same thing. If you uninstall a SafeDisc protected program, a SafeDisc registry key will still remain on your system in your Windows Registry.

I have added that clarification to our FAQ in the "Official SecuROM Statement" sticky thread posted above (question #19), to hopefully add a little more perspective to this situation. At a minimum, perhaps it will at least make those concerned consider a bit more what we have previously explained about how registry keys are files that do no harm to the functionality of a PC.

I realize that this is potentially only a small band-aid to apply to the frustration some players have expressed and some have experienced with their PC's. We are still collecting data to ensure that all hardware and software conflicts are addressed. I apologize for those who have had difficulties and I thank you for you continued help with that effort. I hope you've noticed we've created a new e-mail address for people everywhere to more easily (and cheaply!) contact Customer Support with their issues.

On another note: for others who are posting about the question of whether your specific consent was required to install a program that protected the program from duplication, as I have posted elsewhere: I'm not a lawyer, and we have posted an FAQ answer that addresses that situation. It's FAQ #16 in the sticky above.

Thanks for reading,

-sam

Then this was added to the FAQ #16:
*all this was done today*

Added information about SafeDisc registry keys
16) Why isn't SecuROM disclosed in EA's End User License Agreement (EULA)?
A: SecuROM copy protection is an integral part of The Sims 2 Bon Voyage application.
SecuROM is not a separate installation on your computer. Copy protection has been part of every EA game title (including Maxis titles) for the past ten years, or more.

If you bought The Sims 2 Bon Voyage on disc, you weren't presented with an End User License Agreement ("EULA"). Like all of our packaged goods products, warranty information and our copyright notice is included in the manual.

If you bought The Sims 2 Bon Voyage online using EA Link or EA Download Manager, you did accept an EA EULA for the product and the EA Link/Download manager tool. The EA Link and EA Download Manager EULA states that you need to maintain an Internet connection and keep the EA Link/Download Manager installed so that your product license can be validated periodically.

We don't disclose specifically which copy protection or digital rights management system we use --in this case, SecuROM -- because EA typically uses one license agreement for all of its downloadable games, and different EA downloadable games may use different copy protection and digital rights management.

Me:

First, can anyone break this down in English because I feel dizzy from all of the circles I keep going in regarding secuRom and getting 'REAL' answers.  

Questions I pose here...I will not get a direct answer from the boards.

1:  Why in the world would you see this and state "It looked fishy to me also" and then deliver it straight to the lions (Sony DADC) for answers to an already smelly situation?

2:  Then, you get your answers, post it as TRUTH because you got it straight from the secuRom customer service/support team.  And we should believe this why?

3:  After receiving your 'answer' you go and edit and add onto the sticky your new findings that you got from Sony, and that's suppose to, as Maxoid Sam stated, hopefully 'calm'?

4:  And on top of that you reference a FAQ regarding safedisc and explain that safedisc remained on your computers as well while totally disregarding the fact that safedisc didn't shut down hard-drives, cause reformatting of computers and other issues.  But we shouldn't be alarmed because safedisc is the same?  Am I understanding this correctly?

Can anyone answer this more clearly?

Does anyone see how anything Maxoid Sam said helps the ongoing secuRom issues and problems?

And if you need to adjust or delete this due to length, I totally understand.
*forgive any typo's...I've really been working hard on this* Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 08:28:58 pm by cecesaun1 » Logged
AjaAja

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 11:09:21 pm »

I have BV, but never installed it. Does that mean that you have to be connected to the internet just to play the game too? Cause you didn't used to have to be connected. I'm not really computer savvy at all (which may already be obvious), but I don't get what's the point of checking the registry each time you launch the game. Shouldn't once be enough? I mean is the cd suddenly going to change into a counterfeit one?

I have to say that he's a good answerer... his answers might not be correct or even complete, but he most have taken some lessons on rhetoric or something. Still, which people continually sending messages that it's messed up their computers and stuff, I don't think any amount of persuasive argument and really argue against that! He's in a no-win situation, because we can all see it so manifest right before our eyes, no matter what words he conjures up.
Regret that I bought it, but glad I never installed it...

Anyway, I'd hate to have his job... hell, I'd probably just say to hell, with it and quit, instead of even trying to explain some shady stuff going on...

If my avatar is a girl, it's most likely me
CBC (Come Back Campaign)! One post can make a difference. Join here!
Best contest ever, Beauty of the Decades. Join here!
Have my self-sim for yourself Wink. Get me  here!
fftamfan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 09:16:02 am »

If bv hasn't been installed yet on your pc, and you have checked your registry to confirm securom is not installed in your system you can safely install your bv game and then use a nocd crack to bypass the securom software. You don't need to be connected to the net to play bv, but if you run the launcher you may experience difficulties due to the launcher trying to connect to the net. To avoid the launcher just run sims2ep6.exe application instead of the launcher.exe. Further info can be found at maty forums and beosboxboy sticky thread.
cecesaun1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 11:46:33 pm »

Quote from Maxoid Sam: EA has no plans to discontinue use of SecuROM. But if lots of people emailed with examples that SecuROM is not doing what it's supposed to, I'm sure the company would consider a change. We would be foolish not to. Right now, though, as I've described many times, that isn't happening. End quote.

I think this say's it all.  
All I see now is a dustpan and someone lifting up the rug. Sad

I think it's going to take the next ep/sp...with secuRom still installed, messing up even MORE computers before the fat cats at EA sit up and pay attention.

I think Maxoid Sam is just being used as one big giant pacifier...but of course, we are all not babies, so pacifiers don't soothe, fix nor pacify us.
I will NOT own another EA game, I'm just trying to play what I got and leave them alone. First on my list of things to do:'
Try and find another copy of the 'original' sims2 minus secuRom.
Problem, how do I know if the copies out now, (if you can even find them) haven't already been tainted with secuRom since there is NO labeling telling me so?
Any suggestions?  Especially since Maxoid Sam has informed me that it is illegal for me to even make a copy of my original game that I bought at EB Games! I have the reciept to prove it.
If this is all I have left of the Sims2...then I would at least like to preserve it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:47:43 pm by cecesaun1 » Logged
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 02:38:01 am »

Have a look on ebay for the original (not deluxe) version, and you should be alright Smiley

But seriously, that really sucks Sad

No requests please
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 06:58:28 am »

Just do a google with the keywords "The Sims 2: Bon voyage" and "rapidshare" and you can see first hand just how effective that new magic copy protection tool is.

It's just like I always keep saying: Copy protection tools are mainly there to p.ss off honest users. But you can rest assured, that they will be cracked and bypassed the moment the product hits the market.

Also isn't securom the tool responsible for that big sony-scandal some years ago?

However: Most professional virus protection apps should be able to remove rootkits nowadays. It's just improbable, that the software will run anymore if big daddy is removed.

Quote from: fftamfan;994168
If bv hasn't been installed yet on your pc, and you have checked your registry to confirm securom is not installed in your system you can safely install your bv game and then use a nocd crack to bypass the securom software. You don't need to be connected to the net to play bv, but if you run the launcher you may experience difficulties due to the launcher trying to connect to the net.

No, you don't face any difficulties. After all that securom talk, I went for a no CD crack and everything's working fine.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 08:39:00 am by abaris » Logged
cecesaun1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 06:33:43 pm »

...that is if you EVER get all of it off.  And Maxoid Sam and SM Moira have clearly stated that playing it...minus the secuRom is 'illegal.'  This, alone has many in an uproar especially since when it was first announced by the consumer that secuRom had some serious bugs in it, one of the original things listed to do, by a Maxoid, was to uninstall the game itself. Then instructions were given on how to remove secuRom, which many claim doesn't work. Now people are sitting with busted up computers, useless game they can't play, and now say they wouldn't want to play or have already used their own hard earned cash to have their systems reformated just so they can use their computers.  I, myself, have declared to stay low on the boards for a couple of days.  The secuRom section is really nasty today and the trolls are out full force.  It's hard to ignore them, but I do, but to see them gleefully taunting those with serious problems and/or concerns befuddles me.  Don't they have a life outside of tormenting others?  The last time I asked several people on a particular secuRom thread to 'ignore' a troll, this troll went to my sim page and down rated it and all of my sims uploads. Thankfully several people stood up for me, went to my page and tried to get my sims back up to par, one even went so far as to mention she was a fan of mine and downloaded several of my sims and said that I did not deserve to be treated that way.  All in all, there were some pretty remarkable people that stood up for me.  I spent a lot of time, emailing their guest books personally with thank you's!:angel:

I'm fed up with EA and their lack luster attitude regarding this issue.  I can see clearly their reason for spouting numbers and quota's is because when it really hits the fan, they will pull those said numbers and quota's out and try to defend themselves. I'll just wait to see what damage the next ep is going to cause when it's released.  And, I usually don't wish any ill harm or wishes on anyone, but for those that taunt and tease and call those that complain with 'real' issues 'stupid' (and yes...that has been one of the threads on the board today!':punch: Lets see how many of them will be on the boards crying that 'their' computers are now suffering from secuRom.

I've done my share, and that's been quite a bit...now I'll just lurk around quietly and see what happens next.:lurk:

cece
Mel19

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 08:19:01 am »

I haven't had any problems with Bon Voyage. It hasn't killed my computer nor apparently harmed it in any way. It runs the same as it ever did. So, I do feel bad for all the people who have had problems with their computers, but it not might be entirely BV's fault either. It could be a combination of viruses and other malware. If you have BV, I wouldn't panic over this unless you plan on copying the discs.

abaris

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 09:44:21 am »

Quote from: Mel19;1004941
If you have BV, I wouldn't panic over this unless you plan on copying the discs.

Problem is, you never know what this piece of cack really does. Copy protection software that's being installed on your hard drive is bound to cause trouble one way or the other. It may interfere with virtual drives at the very least, but it may also conflict with other copy protection software being installed by a different product. And remembering the scandal when securom first made headlines some years ago, you never know which information ET is phoning home.

It's not only about illegal copies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: