Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 02:37:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Securom isn't bad' according to Maxis  (Read 30159 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 11:21:38 am »

Surely you can block Securom with a decent firewall? Wouldn't that help? I gather from a thread on MATY that some people are using "hiders" - what's that in aid of? If anyone here knows of course :angel:

No requests please
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 02:11:59 pm »

It's basically a rootkit. And under normal circumstances rootkits are considered the most vicious malware existing because they embed themselves in so many places, that it's hard for the average user to get rid of them. What's more, most of the rootkit files are usually hidden. One might ask, why a company employs a software like that if the only concern is to protect their copyrights. Which is a losing battle anyway, like I said a little earlier. The software was cracked the day it hit the market. So, as usual, only honest users have to deal with the implications of the newest corporate copy protection toys. The pirates are probably only laughing their asses off.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 03:34:02 pm »

So there's no way of telling a firewall to block its access to the net?

And yeah, I imagine the pirates are having a field day. Cracked on day of release = middle fingers up at EA and Sony Tongue

No requests please
cecesaun1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 09:47:44 pm »

That issue has been on the front line for some time.  Some posted, it might not be BV, but a virus or something. Yes...but BV could have been the gate holder and unlocked the gate letting in the virus.  If it can disable your firewall, interfere with your anti virus protection, then you are correct, it could be a virus...but I feel it could be that coupled with the pre-existing problems secuRom is causing a lot of folks.  They have now added onto the FAQ's list for secuRom (not on the boards...but on the secuRom site, more references to what secuRom 'won't do to your computer.'  They based these additions on the various complaints that have arose from secuRom.  Now isn't this funny?!:laughing:  You NOW post what secuRom won't do to your computer and various computer componets and hardware...AFTER the fact?  I'd say someone is seriously trying to cover their butts!

Hmm...wonder who...EA games, or secuRom...or BOTH!:iamwithstupid111:

It's a shame that EA allowed something like secuRom to be embedded in their software and they, themselves don't even know what it totally does or has within it!  Sounds like EA didn't practice 'safe sex' with Sony and got a little STD called 'SECUROM'!!!

Next time EA...maybe you should wear protection...because your STD (secuRom) is infecting others!:sad1:

cece

SwitchfootKatie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 12:58:51 am »

I'm not angry with ea so much about securom since I've had neverwinter nights (the BioShock game mentioned in the thread linked in the first post) installed on my computer for quite a while and have had no issues. I am quite angry about the darn NPC respawning. I had almost 40 fricken tourguides flooding my files!

DocFX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 10:38:49 am »

Hmmm?, not sure if this is 'SecuROM' related or not - but I had a major problem after playing 'BV' the other day. Exited the game and shutdown the PC as normal, booted up the next day and 'XP Pro' flatly refused to run! - so I enabled enhanced testing in the bios and found this little beauty of an error!. 'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME' Sad So, I dug out my recovery disks and finally got it running again, ran full scandisk/clean-up/de-frag/virus check - no hardware/surface faults with the PC/disk and no virus - however, software wise the 'Master Root Table' had been corrupted. Everything seems fine now - but I haven't had the courage to play 'BV' for days!. Shocked

Off now to try again, fingers crossed - wish me luck!...

*Update:- We're up & running again, looks like the culprit was a failed MS update - phew!. Wink
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:14:52 am by DocFX » Logged

Just one more go!.. Wink
DecoraChroi
Frigid Witch
Super Mod

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 01:21:38 am »

Quote from: cecesaun1;1007461

It's a shame that EA allowed something like secuRom to be embedded in their software and they, themselves don't even know what it totally does or has within it!  Sounds like EA didn't practice 'safe sex' with Sony and got a little STD called 'SECUROM'!!!

Next time EA...maybe you should wear protection...because your STD (secuRom) is infecting others!:sad1:

cece

[/FONT]

Well said!! :rofl:

"The power to question is the basis of all human progress."
niceb2u

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 12:52:13 am »

I'm getting concerns. I have been having problems. It comes up with a KBD.exe error. Can anyone tell me what this is?  Thanks.
Yagami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 07:17:32 am »

Quote from: niceb2u;1085230
I'm getting concerns. I have been having problems. It comes up with a KBD.exe error. Can anyone tell me what this is?  Thanks.

Do you have a HP or Compaq pc or a HP multimedia keyboard? If you do then kbd.exe is the multimedia keyboard program that comes with it.
niceb2u

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 02:59:55 pm »

Yagami-sama, Thank U for your reply. yes, I have an hp w/ keyboard.
BigD145
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25:04 pm »

This isn't the best advice, but it takes care of pretty much all rootkits: run XP64 bit. Rootkits don't install or don't run properly under 64 bit. I have had many games that have problems or refuse to play under this OS, but I have so many more that do work and I don't get the rootkits. EA is utterly wrong when they talk about the disk protections out there, but I find ways to get around it. I shouldn't have to find workarounds, but I also have little choice in the matter.
chris626

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 09:08:07 pm »

What are the affects of this "securom". Are they very much noticeable? How would i know i have it?
garbagefan2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 08:51:20 pm »

Hmm, I don't think I got SecuRom with my game. I have all expansions and stuff packs. Their all installed. I tried to chech my system for Securom, and it wasn't there. Not in the services like they said to delete. No securom folder, no nothing. Do I still have it? I want to make a copy of my game. I bought it, I have a right to. When I said all expansions, I meant Free Time too. I got it as a gift. But since people are having these problems, wouldn't this cause more piracy on their damn games? Pirates remove the protection

Pirated FreeTime = Free game + No Securom
Store-bought FreeTime = -$30 + Securom

Which seems better to you?
maniac19642003
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 08:57:19 pm »

Quote from: garbagefan2;1155291
Store-bought FreeTime = -$30 + Securom

This means you have a legit copy and access to sites like this, pirated stuff isn't allowed around here as per rules.
garbagefan2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2008, 09:07:01 pm »

EA shouldn't be doing this to people then. More people would buy it if there were no worries about getting their computers crashed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: