Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 10:37:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Sims 2 Bon Voyage Bugs and SecurROM Flame-O-Rama [BV patch download at risk]  (Read 18892 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Captain_Shepard

Humanity's Last Hope

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2007, 03:53:38 pm »

So I've decide to organize some info for those who haven't heard about this issue and I hope other members help as well.

You may also '' flame '' Maxis for their poor work and the lack of skill in a critical time.

:blob6:  May the flaming begin!   :blob6:

Thanks to Maniac to provide us a bit of information on this.

http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=61410

http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=61800

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check here if you want to read about the EA evilish history and why they should be burned

By BeosBoxBoy - Read this if you want to hear the logical and truthfull explanation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to know if you have this piece of sh*t on your pc?

Start
-----------
Execute  ( type regedit) and press enter
--------------------------------------
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
SecuROM

What is SecuROM? ( Thanks to Celesta92059 a fighting the oppresion member of Sims 2 BBS )

SecuROM INFORMATION

If you have installed Sims 2 Deluxe, H&M Stuff Pack, or Sims 2 Bon Voyage, you have SecuROM copy protection installed on your computer. EA doesn't warn you that this potentially harmful software is being used. The SecuROM copy protection is distributed by Sony Electronics Inc., Headquarters in New York & California.

What is SecuROM

This is what MaxoidSam says it is

SecuROM is an anti-piracy program that is designed to keep people from unlawfully copying software, in theory for the purpose of re-selling illegally. It's also designed to ensure that the game you are playing is a legitimate copy of the game.

EA products (The Sims 2 included) had previously been using a program called SafeDisc for copy protection up until about April of 2007. At this point EA switched to SecuROM. So far, SecuROM has been used for The Sims 2 Deluxe Edition, H&M Stuff, and Bon Voyage. We are using Version 7 of SecuROM.

This is how beosboxboy (from a Sims 2 website we can not talk about here) defines SecuROM

SecuROM is a CD/DVD copy protection program that is intended to prevent software, music, and video piracy developed by Sony. SecuROM is is known to cause more issues than any other copy protection software, a simple Google search will provide you with all you need to know about this. Prior to Bon Voyage and (maybe) H&M Fashion Stuff, EA was using SafeDisc. Other games may have installed this, but if you have only Sims 2 games on your computer, it is likely that it was only installed when you installed Bon Voyage expansion pack or maybe H&M Fashion Stuff. Maxoid Sam did not authoratively say when EA started using SecuRom with The Sims 2 franchise.

SafeDisc CD/DVD copy protection program for Windows applications and games, developed by Macrovision Corporation; though SafeDisc protection effectively prevents regular home users from creating functional copies of CDs or DVDs, it is quite easy for skilled software crackers to bypass. The reason for EA's switch to SecuROM is pretty obvious.

SecuROM is highly controversial. It may interfere with the performance of Windows on any number of levels and is regarded by most security software firms (Symantec, CA, McAfees, etc) as "risky" or "dangerous". It has been known to interfere in the playability of games even when you have a legally purchased copy of the game. Additionally, SecuROM has not been very effective at preventing people from using illegally copied software, for example the copy protection on the game BioShock was cracked within ten days of release, the on-line activation measure that shipped with BioShock also seems to be mainly aimed at preventing lending and rental of the game. In the case of The Sims 2 Bon Voyage Expansion Pack, the cracked version was available the same day as release... go figure.

[End of Quoting]

Sony is being sued in a number of States, and there is a class action suite against them. Many of Sony's customers are sueing them in their local small claims courts. The lawsuits are regarding Sony's rootkit technology that is included in most if not all software Sony distributes.

Microsoft's Mark Russinovich's blog entry's regarding Sony
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/search.aspx?q=Sony&p=1
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/31/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights-management-gone-too-far.aspx

Other links about Sony
http://www.sonysuit.com/
Sony's back for more, running BioShock DRM with a rootkit
http://swik.net/User:stinkyworld/Engadget+feeds/Sony%27s+back+for+more%2C+running+BioShock+DRM+with+a+rootkit/bkf49

http://www.engadget.com/tag/rootkit/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2BSony+%2BLawsuits
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is a Rootkit?

Some of you have tried to find SecuROM on your system and can not find it. I promise you, if you installed Sims 2 Deluxe, H&M Stuff Pack, or Sims 2 Bon Voyage on your computer you do have it, but that's what a rootkit does, it hides itself from you making it difficult for you to find it and to prevent you from uninstalling it.

Rootkit? What? What is a rootkit? Do I have a rootkit?

Microsoft's definition and a program at Microsoft to find out if you have one:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Here is a picture of SecuROM's rootkit on my computer
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i306/celesta920/SecuROM.jpg
Notice where it screams "!CAUTION! NEVER DELETE" that file is a rootkit. All the other SecuROM files on your computer you can easily delete by highlighting and pressing the delete button, except that one. It screams only to scare you. Truth is if you can find a way to delete it (which is the hard part), it would be harmless. In fact it would be beneficial to you and your computer to delete it.

What does a rootkit do?

Sony or MaxoidSam have not denied SecuROM installs a rootkit on our computers (probably so they couldn't be accused of lying to us). In their statements they fail to even mention the word "rootkit". They only deny that what they install is malware or spyware.

In MaxoidSam's statement he avoids directly denying SecuROM installs a rootkit, but instead he says
"SecuROM claims is it not spyware, malware, or any other kind of 'ware that would extract personal information from your PC. You can read all about what Sony says about SecuROM at their website." [ http://tinyurl.com/2s4gwf ]

[end of quotes]

A rootkit itself is not malware, but a rootkit allows someone, either legitimate (as in the case of Sony and EA's use of it in the Sims games) or malicious (as in Internet attackers), to maintain command and control over a computer system, without the computer system user knowing about it. This means that the owner of the rootkit is capable of executing files and changing system configurations on the target machine, as well as accessing log files or monitoring activity to covertly spy on the user's computer usage.

What a rootkit does in laymen's terms:
A rootkit is a group of software tools that a hacker can exploit to obtain root (top-level) privileges to a computer. Once this top level privilege is obtained, the hacker can perform unauthorized activity on a computer and hide all traces of existence so it can continue to exploit the computer.

http://netsecurity.about.com/b/a/220992.htm
Many many more explanations:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2B%22what+is+a+rootkit%22&btnG=Google+Search

I myself I'll wait until Pescado, the creator of the fix for the spawning tour guides, gives a green signal for installing any patches. This may never be. Don't forget, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. As a final word : Fight the Oppresion, down with EAxis!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:31:09 pm by Teren_Rox » Logged

We are little stars among the universe, let us not be blinded by our mortality and deceived from what others say.
phoenix_risin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:52:02 am »

I believe I have found the way Eaxis handles their issues and bugs.

How to debug a "C" program

1] If at all possible, don't. Let someone else do it.
2] Change majors.
3] Insert/remove blank lines at random spots, re-compile, and excecute.
4] Throw holy water on the terminal.
5] Dial 911 and scream.
6] There is rumour that "printf" is useful, but this is probably unfounded.
7] Port everything to CP/M.
8] If it still doesn't work, re-write it in assembler. This won't fix the bug, but it will make sure no one else finds it and makes you look bad

LOL Sorry it just seemed to be appropriate considering the replies we get from that company.

On topic though I just wish they would grow some chest hair and come out with a real statement that they plan on standing behind.
 I mean other games have had issues with it. Obviously they knew this they do not after all live in caves.
They did not care and now do not care to admit they messed up.

Just once I would Love to see them take a stand on anything they have to deal with.
They have yet to do that on any issue that they have been faced with. They have him hawed on everything from this SecuRom to bugs, to testing, or lack of it, to file sharing, and the whole pay fiasco.

It really makes me wonder what kind of people are in charge over there.
Whatever type it is I am seriously getting a tad fed up.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:41:05 am »

Maxis/EA is in the business of making money. They don't care if your computer blows up, eats hard drives or takes over the world. They want their money. They want to make a lot of it. After 7 years of having one of the hottest franchises going, they're used to a lot of money. They're also getting very sloppy on their work, and have made some colossal mistakes in releasing games that are so buggy that people have to buy new computers just to play them.
The best way to pay them back is to boycott /or sue them until they start getting a conscience-however, tell that to the millions of poor kids who don't know how to program one line of computer language-let alone theirs.
It worked for the car companies-Ford, GM and Chrysler are all going down the tubes because they did not produce a product that people wanted-Toyota, on the other hand, is doing just fine. Why? Because they responded to the people who buy their cars with quality.
Maxis could do the same, but I doubt if they care that much. It's only a game, you know.

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:42:45 am »

Don't you just love how they've become even bigger liars about this whole thing lately? Sheesh... :angry7:

Well, seeing as I don't have Bon Voyage yet, I'm still pretty pissed off at this whole ordeal.  I was really hoping to have this EP without too much worrying other than hard drive space, and maybe the occasional graphics glitch-up.  Now that I hear they've changed the way the disks work with "Secu-CRAP", I know I'm probably not going to get it.  I already have enough problems with this laptop, and believe me, I get to the point where I just want to throw this thing out the window sometimes.  The last thing I need is that program fudging up my CD/DVD-WR drive and corresponding programs, nor do I want the extra frustrations that other people have been having with it as of late.  Yes, there are ways to finally get around it, but I'm still not going to give my financial support to EA if they insist on sending out stuff that affects how the legal customers play the game, or even use their own computers.  And even if Sims 3 has that shoddy mess up there with it, then... (God, it'd probably kill me to say this next year)... well... I think I may have to pass buying it, too.  :bawl:

Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 09:15:53 am »

As much as I love the look of the extra features, not to mention having a swimmable ocean (boy did I miss that when taking recent story pics!), I'm actually pretty scared to get this now. I know there's a "no problems" thread, and thankfully (from what I've heard) this SecurRom isn't on European copies, but still...

Funnily enough I'm on a game design course, just started my 2nd year. All this business with EAxis's idea of production and customer care is teaching me a lot - namely how not to go about things! :lol: Gotta laugh, huh?

No requests please
tallsimsfan77

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:41:21 pm »

Note to self: Don't buy Sims 3.

Well- assuming that Maxis doesn't clean up their act.

Sigs are for smokers.
Captain_Shepard

Humanity's Last Hope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 08:02:06 am »

Sadie79 Securom is on European copies too! I got my sims 2 bon voyage in Spain and it does have it too.

I've updated the first thread for more information!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:12:09 am by Teren_Rox » Logged

We are little stars among the universe, let us not be blinded by our mortality and deceived from what others say.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:05:57 am »

Well damn! Sheesh... in that case I'm especially glad I haven't bought it. Tell you what though, to quote (not guaranteeing accuracy) a siggy on the BBS:

EAxis: Encouraging piracy one legit user at a time

Ironic isn't it? A little note here - if I could be guaranteed that this crap wasn't gonna sneakily install itself on my computer, hell, if they could even offer a decent service (their attitude of sweeping critical things like this under the rug disgusts me, TBH), I wouldn't be so hesitant in continuing my support. I was gonna pay out money for this EP, just as I have all the other major EPs that I own. They don't realise how much money they're actually losing through their deal with Sony. They should have researched it better, if they had they'd know Sony was being sued because of it, and therefore hopefully made the decision to steer clear.

Moot point now anyway :dontknow:

No requests please
Sleepycat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 12:35:29 pm »

people are getting banned (for a week at this point) left and right on the BBS for trying to get the real facts out. Threads are being locked and/or deleted.

They(the SMs and maybe EA) are trying to get everyone to shut up about it so their sheep will forget about SecuROM.

According to one SM, only she knows the real 'facts' and everyone else posting about SecuROM dosen't know what they are talking about because the information they are posting is about a different version of SecuROM.

The BBS has gotten rather interesting lately :lol:

Crazy Town - home of my Sim stories & SC4 Terrains, Sims, hairy Skintones and some clothes & stuff.
Simbology
Captain_Shepard

Humanity's Last Hope

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:23:47 pm »

So the problems that people had were just coincidence? I don't believe! I'm not only mad about this , there's also the bugs which I do think it's EAxis responsibility to act quickly to develop a patch since it seems they don't test their games for bugs unfortunely I've read from a SiMaster post that the patch will arrive at the end of this month.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:25:57 pm by Teren_Rox » Logged

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 06:06:32 pm »

It's babbling time!  :rant:

SM Burpie is a "funny" one, that's for sure... The fact that they're trying to tell us what's not happening on our own computers just amuses me.  :rofl:  :neutral: I could care less about her role on the BBS, but just because you have a "title" doesn't mean you know everything... and just because other people ("armchair lawyers and tech experts" as quoted) question your actions and responses, it doesn't make them any less knowledgeable about computer tech info than you are.  Besides, how can you tell who works where?  Some people are honest about it, and KNOW what they're talking about.  You can't tell people that they don't know anything if they're trying to supply the info and links... yet get banned and shot down (plus thread locked/removed)  before they even get a chance.  Sheesh... :brain:

I'm really not surprised they're doing all of that locking and banning.  The BBS is so back-@$$wards that they think anything that doesn't agree with their terms is false info/spam/whatever.  I've only posted there once throughout this whole situation, and luckily that particular thread had not been locked the last time I checked.  (Probably is now, though.)  After that, I vow never again to post my 2 cents over there again... :salute:  (For once, I really hope karma will hit full force this time around, just for all the crap they've been doing up there for the past few years.  I could care less for whatever happens to the BBS even more so than I did before.  :twisted: )

And once again, thanks for all of the informative posts and links.  I've been reading a lot deeper into the problems that have been involved with the software(z), and I must say the more I learn about it, the more I see how EA crapped up big time.  :lol:

knightguy82

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 06:46:12 pm »

SM Burpie is power mad an should be beaten to death with the nearest keyboard :rant: while new USB cords are made

SecuROM issues BBS refugee thread @ MATY

i'm uploading the "What your problem with SM Burpie" thread incase it gets deleted

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:52:01 pm by knightguy82 » Logged
AjaAja

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 08:26:30 pm »

What an interesting thread.

If my avatar is a girl, it's most likely me
CBC (Come Back Campaign)! One post can make a difference. Join here!
Best contest ever, Beauty of the Decades. Join here!
Have my self-sim for yourself Wink. Get me  here!
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 01:56:58 am »

*quietly gloats* I have been saying for over two years that EA wants nothing but YOUR money, don't give a rat's ass for the so-called Sims Community, and couldn't care less if we all died  from brain hemorrhages as a result of stressing out over their mistakes, buggy code, and lies, all they care about is relieving you of your excess weight in the pocket-book.

I have been saying EA sucks and are a pack of liars since the day they rolled The Sims 2 out, I finally feel vindicated now that the bastards have become so openly everything I said they were I could just squee my pants.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Captain_Shepard

Humanity's Last Hope

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 08:09:03 am »

I know beosboxboy and I do believe what you say. I mean I would expect more problems on Sims 1 than the new version because it's supposed to be more advanced..on everything
And now what do I see? Lame kids giving support to EA, other's trying to fight it and getting banned and their threads blocked while others are just too blind to see and give more support to the EA bull crap.
And what can we do? Keep fighting them. Of course that won't improve the Expansions since I don't know where they get their craptastic ideas but o well let's hope we can get something out of this.

Off-Topic : Could you send me your avatar photo aka 500 € Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: