Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 12:50:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Got SecuRom? Get relief.  (Read 33891 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Auronette

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:56:13 pm »

As many of you are aware, EA's The Sims 2: Bon Voyage, which was recently released, came with an anti-piracy software called SecuRom attached.  This program was not listed in any of the documentation available prior to installation, nor is there any option given to you to skip it's inclusion during the installation process.  Therefore, it installs on your system without knowledge or consent.  

There are many conflicting opinions on what this program will and will not do, but it is a potentially problematic software, that cannot be uninstalled without messing around in your registry files and/or reformatting your hard drive.  

EA stickied a post regarding SecuROM earlier yesterday morning.  The post made by MaxoidVanquish (aptly named) gave lots of links to Sony's website for SecuRom, but offered absolutely no official means of getting the program off of our systems.  Instead we were told that removal was not recommended as other EA titles might require it's use.  Little consideration for those of us who don't want the program, nor do they want any of EA's games on their system anymore.  This is not a good thing. EA's response to the situation is located here:

Bon Boyage and SecuROM Update!

If you feel that their actions warrant some form of legal action, or even just want to get your money back for the game and/or any damage caused to your system, then I strongly suggest that you contact the appropriate agencies in your area for assistance.

Here are a few links which may be useful to you.  Remember to read their suggestions carefully before deciding on your course of action.  I'm by no means an attorney of any sort, but there may be implications in which way you proceed.  If in doubt, talk to a lawyer directly before committing to a course of action.  You may find many referral agencies in your area that offer low/no cost consultations.  So, utilize them if needed.

Useful Links:

For official letters of complaint:
Electronic Arts, Inc.
209 Redwood Shores Pkwy
Redwood City, CA 94065

A listing for ALL Attorney Generals in the US:
http://www.naag.org/attorneys_general.php

National Association of Consumer Advocates:
http://www.naca.net/

The Better Business Bureau (for US and Canada):
http://welcome.bbb.org/

Federal Trade Commission
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/index.shtml

What is SecuRom? by Beosboxboy
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=61551

Celesta92059 has also graciously decided to post as much information as possible regarding this issue in her guestbook at the EA BBS.  The link to the main site is:  http://thesims2.ea.com/  I don't want to give the direct link on this his/her guestbook, as EA is doing everything in their power to hide this whole issue from the eyes that glance their site.  There have been many locked and deleted threads and all posts regarding SecuRom have been moved to the Technical Forums, where they are making their final push to reclaim the boards.

So, please, if you feel strongly about this, take action. Let the company know that their behavior is unacceptable and that, as paying customers, we're not going to take their deceptive and dismissive practices lightly.

Thanks for reading!

Admin note: It's your choice what you do with your game, but I would like to remind you of the site rules which prohibit the posting or requesting for any illegal cracks, warez, etc. This includes no-cd cracks for the games.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:30:34 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I'd love to share what I've done at other sites. Please don't take it for granted, if you would like to upload my items to other sites, ask me. It may take a little while to get back to you, but you've got a 99.999% chance I'll do i
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:12:02 pm »

Thank you, Auronette.  This is a very important information update, I will make it a sticky.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
PiperK1980

Abnormally Typical

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:52:40 pm »

I would like to know what I need to get rid of in my registry. I'm fairly good around it and I would delete it. If it messes up my computer it's not like I can't fix it or help someone who can't. I will NOT be buying anymore Sim games if this is how EA is going to treat it's consumers. No way!!!!!! Sorry if I wasn't supposed to post in here. This just (a lot of words I can't use here) me off.

Click here to join The Animal Army! It's good for what ails ya!!

X-Men Fan? Join today!
Auronette

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:39:42 pm »

Thanks BBB for the sticky and for referencing it in your post.  Smiley

PiperK,

If you check out BeosboxBoy's thread What is SecuROM? it lists a removal method for you to try.  I myself had my computer tech do a complete reformat, but I wanted to be absolutely sure the thing was gone.  The choice is up to you.  

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I'd love to share what I've done at other sites. Please don't take it for granted, if you would like to upload my items to other sites, ask me. It may take a little while to get back to you, but you've got a 99.999% chance I'll do i
AnalogKid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:54:23 am »

When the second to last iL2 expanison pack Pe-2 and the final *complete* game 1946 both have secure-rom attached.

This post in no way advocates warez etc. But if you own the game, paid your money the game is yours to have. And how you use it *for you and you alone* is up to you. The iL2 communty semi-quietly and mostly thru Squadrons ( clan if you will ) forums tell thier members how to get around it. I am not technicly (s.p) versed enough to tell you if the same proceedure would work for Bon Voyage or not. But a No-CD patch was used and was it something specifically in that patch i do not know.  You installed the game and *BEFORE starting it for the first time* you replaced the .exe with the no-cd .exe and secure rom would not install. I know from looking tonight that there is a no-cd patch for it. And NO I will not tell you where it is, find it yourself. And Im not sure if the no-cd patch I saw will work with the new patch from Maxis or not ( depends if the patch changed the exe at all )

I dont have BV so I cant test if thats the case maybe one of ya'll that have it wouldnt mind trying. Whats one more fresh install of windows Wink .

Analog Kid
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:00:05 am by AnalogKid » Logged
fftamfan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 10:59:23 pm »

Hey PiperK1980, there's a really good thread over at maty how to remove securom and play bv. Its a sticky in the podium section.
maniac19642003
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 04:16:13 pm »

I just found this at snootysims about this crap.

"I bet many of you are getting pretty tired of this SecuROM issue. And so is Maxis; Several Maxoids are again posting messages in the Sims BBS about it.
This whole issue is now also being picked up by the outside press. Slashdot posted an article with links to these new official statements.
Read the article here: Slashdot article"
AnalogKid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 11:53:45 pm »

All this talk, made me check and Sims 2 Deluxe also has SecuROM in it. Sad .

Analog Kid
summersong86

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 12:43:46 am »

They said H&M stuffs pack has it too.  I have H&M.  I didn't know I was installing this anti piracy thing on my pc.  I wonder if that is why I have problems with so many programs I am using, mostly with my file manager program, PowerDesk.  I am having a hard time manipulating my files in ways I was used to.  I thought Vista was to blame but some things I am experiencing are not likely due to Vista.  Anyway, that is my problem to figure out.  I'm just commenting because it is not just Bon Voyage.  I am very mad.  They should put a disclosure on the package and people like me who are very novice with technical things can stay clear.  About piracy, I thought that is why we had to type in those awful long serial numbers.  That is not torture enough? LOL!
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 07:53:56 am »

Thank you for all of the informative links, Auronette.  I'm sure everyone who is suffering from this whole situation will find them quite useful.  :angel:

Quote from: maniac19642003;986610
I just found this at snootysims about this crap.

"I bet many of you are getting pretty tired of this SecuROM issue. And so is Maxis; Several Maxoids are again posting messages in the Sims BBS about it.
This whole issue is now also being picked up by the outside press. Slashdot posted an article with links to these new official statements.
Read the article here: Slashdot article"

You know, there was this one thread on the BBS that someone said they worked for a newspaper/magazine/website... or something to that affect.  Can't quite remember for sure, but I think they were one of the posters that was banned.  Not sure if this is the same person, but I sure as heck wouldn't be surprised if it was!  :lol:

PiperK1980

Abnormally Typical

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 05:37:01 pm »

Quote from: fftamfan;985467
Hey PiperK1980, there's a really good thread over at maty how to remove securom and play bv. Its a sticky in the podium section.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Click here to join The Animal Army! It's good for what ails ya!!

X-Men Fan? Join today!
platinum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 01:26:58 am »

Thank you Auronette for the links and informative
I never even heard of SecuROM until I read your post then
Beosboxboy post about two days ago.

I most certainly will  

So, please, if you feel strongly about this, take action. Let the company know that their behavior is unacceptable and that, as paying customers, we're not going to take their deceptive and dismissive practices lightly.

As I read more and more about this SecuROM'
It is just wrong!

One tiny voice added to many can bring  down empires… :albino:

* 1.gif (421.61 KB, 150x150 - viewed 3904 times.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:14:17 am by platinum » Logged

§ You can always tell the quality of a person's character by how they treat the people they don't need. §
AnalogKid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:53:03 am »

In case ya'll dont know, and like it'll do any good Tongue there is an online petition. I signed it, just in case Smiley

From the canned email response I got after.

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition: "Remove SecuROM From The Sims 2" hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petitionservice, at: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/rsrts2/
I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and considersigning yourself.

Best wishes,

Me

BTW what the hell is a Moo-Bunny?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 10:55:33 am by AnalogKid » Logged
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 12:39:06 pm »

How come this wasn't a issue until now if its on other EP's and SP's?

Char
xxx

dragon_tfm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 03:29:23 pm »

probably because those others werent as widely purchased

check out my uploads here  updated May 15, 2008

please do not upload my creations anywhere else or claim them as your own thx!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: