Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:01:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I do it?  (Read 4316 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Arialonomus

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:08:09 pm »

Well, its not a hard question to ask, but its a hard thing to do. Should I empty my downloads folder?

Now I've been a good boy and toned down EXTREMELY on my downloads, I know this is nothing compared to other simmers, but before I had to reformat my hard-drive I had over 5000 package files, now after 3 months of downloading, I have only 1000 of them, almost ONE-FIFTH!

But, my game is full of useless clothes and hair, and I fear that one day, next year, my game will turn into a flaming mass of evil and satanry.

So if I do this I will make a resolution to use sub folders.

I will be more organized.

And I won't download crap. (Which is not a importanta because I barely do that now.

My only issue is that I have been having MAJOR issues with WinRAR on this comp (it won't function period. No matter what I do) so I wouldn't be able to download any RARs or Zips without having to do it on another comp, transfer the files to this one, then move said files to downloads folders

I want people's honest opinion.

Science makes everything sound painful.
JCSpencer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:41:38 pm »

If you aren't really using the stuff I'd get rid of it. But it sounds like you've got some room for some good quality stuff at least. Have you gone through all the featured creators' sections here? Some really great and good quality stuff. For absolutely essential hacks (I know the term sounds terrible) you need to stop by MATY. MTS2 has some good stuff, but the site is so ginormous, and sadly littered with a bunch of not-so-great content, that it's hard to find. Plus it's damn tricky; I DLed stuff that looked fantastic in screenshots, but was butt-fugly in the game, or just broken. The best advice I was given is to try and stick to the people you know make quality, stable CC.

I personally just wiped the DL folder clean. I had over 20,000 package files, and it took me longer to load the game than it takes to prepare and eat a meal. Not counting Ramen soup.

And definitely, DEFINITELY use subfolders. I didn't do that last time, but I've already got them set up this time around. Ancienthistory also recommended a TEMP folder where you can place and keep new downloads until you are sure they aren't borked.

In the end, I'm finding it easier just to start over from scratch, especially now that I've got experience with the game and with what to expect from certain creators. And now that I know what things I really don't need much variety for because I hardly use them to begin with (or not worthwhile since you hardly ever see them, like ceiling lights). I'm still downloading some of the same things I had before just because I felt they were indispensible additions to the game. But I'm definitely being more selective.

If you find yourself asking, "I'll grab that now because I might find a use for it later," don't grab it. LOL. I don't know about you, but that's what got me into trouble the first time.

EDIT: Hmm, it just occurred to me that it might sound (read) like I was talking (writing) to you like a Sims newb. I hope I didn't come across that way. If so, I apologize.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 11:44:01 pm by JCSpencer » Logged

Join the Animal Army ... your site just might depend on it!
...- Admiral Anemone, Animal Army Naval Division
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:18:41 am »

Hey, Arialonomus, have you tried 7zip?  Works just about the same as WinRAR... and it's free.

Speaking from my experience, I'd say if it's stuff you really feel you don't need anymore, go for it.  The only thing I would suggest is that you might want to check and see if there is any valued content that you might want to save... just in case you got it from a site that no longer exists, or if you can't find anything from the graveyard.  

I plan to do the same with my downloads folder one day, as soon as I get my favorite CC, lots, and sims packaged and burned to a disk.  (And of course I save all of my hard worked-on pictures.)  Then, I'm going to go ahead and do another re-install and start all over.  Hopefully my graphics will stop with all the nonsense it does afterwards.  :angel:

Arialonomus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 09:58:50 am »

I see, I figured I'd need SubFolders, and I know what I've downloaded (since alot of the sites I downloaded from had disappeared after I had reformatted my hard drive) and I'll be able to download my fave anyway.

But I'm gonna wait and see if I can get body shop working without having to reinstall, so thanks for the input, and more is welcomed Cheesy

Science makes everything sound painful.
deniseantonia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:32:19 pm »

i just had to re-install my game on a new computer and really havent missed any of my downloads yet.. So yes start clean.. the only on i have right now is the Insimenator.. cant live w/out it.. LOL

If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!:daisy:
Rogue777

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 07:38:13 pm »

I've been considering doing this too, just to make the game load faster. I have probably hundreds of hairs and clothes that I just never, ever use, but I have to wade through them every time I make a Sim.

I haven't actually decided if I will do it though. There are actually a lot of downloads that I would like to keep.
AjaAja

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 08:27:01 pm »

Quote from: Rogue777;988778
I've been considering doing this too, just to make the game load faster. I have probably hundreds of hairs and clothes that I just never, ever use, but I have to wade through them every time I make a Sim.

OmG, that was so true for me too (before I rebooted my computer and still had my downloads). I just had stuff for the sake of having them even if I didn't use them...

If my avatar is a girl, it's most likely me
CBC (Come Back Campaign)! One post can make a difference. Join here!
Best contest ever, Beauty of the Decades. Join here!
Have my self-sim for yourself Wink. Get me  here!
tellmewhatyoumeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 08:31:10 pm »

I did do this...but I still don't use the folders to organize. But it can help if you are willing to go sorting through everything.

you learn that you don't have the right to demand love on your terms, just to make you happy
JCSpencer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 09:15:11 pm »

Quote from: AjaAja;988838
I just had stuff for the sake of having them even if I didn't use them...

That was my problem in a nutshell. I'm a packrat IRL, and I did the same thing for my game. If you ever find yourself saying, "I'll probably find a use for this sometime, so I should download it now" - stop, close the window, slap yourself, then go look for something else.

Join the Animal Army ... your site just might depend on it!
...- Admiral Anemone, Animal Army Naval Division
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: