Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 01:19:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Please post Bug Reports and Help Requests Here  (Read 143183 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ahaggard

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 01:32:56 pm »

Quote from: beosboxboy
Could you give me more information?  What EPs you have? did you place the files in the Downloads folder or a subfolder?  etc

I have Nightlife uni and ofb. I put them in the downloads folder (not subfolder)
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 01:46:15 pm »

Quote from: ahaggard
I have Nightlife uni and ofb. I put them in the downloads folder (not subfolder)

hrm - do you by chance have the Christmas content pack installed?

It sounds like you have a mesh conflict at this point.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
ahaggard

View Profile
Yes
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 03:10:16 pm »

hrm - do you by chance have the Christmas content pack installed?

It sounds like you have a mesh conflict at this point.

I have some christmad items chould i delete them?
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 03:32:28 pm »

Not necessarily - try checking your downloads folder with Sims2Pack Clean Installer - look for empty packages and duplicates first.

In many instances, if you have more than 8000 downloads the game starts to get buggy, there is no clear indication which thing may be causing the conflict, if could be a refrigerator recolour for instance or another object or skin mesh.

As more people make new things this is increasingly a risk.  Maxis has not devised a fool-proof method of avoiding conflicts.  I have even had hurt and woe come on me from Maxis official add-ins (especially the Christmas items, the Alienware computer, and the Urbz game).

It may take some time to find what is causing the conflict; and the solutions are very limited.  One is delete the offending item, the other is more technical and involves doing some mumbo-jumbo with SimPE.

I would prefer to limit the search to the offending item for the moment, as it would be beneficial to know what is causing the conflict so future downloaders will know what they have to choose between.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
ahaggard

View Profile
Ok
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 04:54:18 pm »

Not necessarily - try checking your downloads folder with Sims2Pack Clean Installer - look for empty packages and duplicates first.

In many instances, if you have more than 8000 downloads the game starts to get buggy, there is no clear indication which thing may be causing the conflict, if could be a refrigerator recolour for instance or another object or skin mesh.

As more people make new things this is increasingly a risk.  Maxis has not devised a fool-proof method of avoiding conflicts.  I have even had hurt and woe come on me from Maxis official add-ins (especially the Christmas items, the Alienware computer, and the Urbz game).

It may take some time to find what is causing the conflict; and the solutions are very limited.  One is delete the offending item, the other is more technical and involves doing some mumbo-jumbo with SimPE.

I would prefer to limit the search to the offending item for the moment, as it would be beneficial to know what is causing the conflict so future downloaders will know what they have to choose between.

I removed all of the empty packages (there were a lot). I have not used clean installer before is there a good sight that will explain all about it? There were a lot of this highlighted red i left them alone because I was not sure what to do with them. The merman tails are still not showing up.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 05:01:45 pm by ahaggard » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2006, 08:09:10 pm »

I removed all of the empty packages (there were a lot). I have not used clean installer before is there a good sight that will explain all about it? There were a lot of this highlighted red i left them alone because I was not sure what to do with them. The merman tails are still not showing up.

Here is the manual of S2PCI: http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php?page=4

The red things are hacks, I haven't heard of a hack conflicting with the meshes before, but it's possible I guess.

ahaggard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:50 pm »

Here is the manual of S2PCI: http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php?page=4

The red things are hacks, I haven't heard of a hack conflicting with the meshes before, but it's possible I guess.

Ok so i looked through all of my downloads but i can;t find the problem. What else should i try. If it is anything in my downloads i don't know what to look for. i wonder why the mermaid and toddlers work but not the man
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2006, 12:51:48 pm »

Ahaggard,

If you feel patient and motivated enough, there's a way to find if the issue is a conflicting file (which is likely), and then which one it could be.

First, move all your downloads (except the merman files) in a new folder on your desktop, then launch the game: if the merman shows up, then it's certain that it conflicts with another file.
So now you have to find out which it is, and this is the long and boring part.
Put back half of the files into your downloads folder, launch the game - if the merman shows up, the conflicting file is somewhere among those you left out, if not you just put in back in your downloads.
In the first case, add back one half of the files you removed, in the other case remove one half of those you put back in, lauch the game again - and proceed like this until you narrow your research to the faulty file.
I'm afraid there's no more convenient way, and I'd understand if you weren't too eager to try this...
ahaggard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2006, 05:41:32 pm »

Quote from: marvine
Ahaggard,

If you feel patient and motivated enough, there's a way to find if the issue is a conflicting file (which is likely), and then which one it could be.

First, move all your downloads (except the merman files) in a new folder on your desktop, then launch the game: if the merman shows up, then it's certain that it conflicts with another file.
So now you have to find out which it is, and this is the long and boring part.
Put back half of the files into your downloads folder, launch the game - if the merman shows up, the conflicting file is somewhere among those you left out, if not you just put in back in your downloads.
In the first case, add back one half of the files you removed, in the other case remove one half of those you put back in, lauch the game again - and proceed like this until you narrow your research to the faulty file.
I'm afraid there's no more convenient way, and I'd understand if you weren't too eager to try this...

I will try it it. I want to get rid of the faulty file anyway because that is not the only problem i have had.
ahaggard

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2006, 06:08:17 pm »

I will try it it. I want to get rid of the faulty file anyway because that is not the only problem i have had.

Well i tried it and the file does not show up even when it the only one in the downloads folder
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2006, 03:04:13 am »

Ahaggard, if you moved you other downloads on your desktop (or anywhere outside the "The Sims 2" folder) and still had the mesh with at least one recolour for it in you downloads folder, then I'm wondering if your files aren't corrupted.
Did you try deleting all the merman stuff and redownloading it?
Make sure that it's not also in your saved sims folder, the game doesn't like it when the same items are in both folders.
ahaggard

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2006, 12:15:25 pm »

Marvine, I tried redownloading the mesh and a recolour. It still is not showing up. Those are the only files in my downloads. What else do you think it could be?
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2006, 12:55:54 pm »

Ahaggard: if you have nothing in your Downloads folder but MESH_ju-beos_merman.package and one recolour, then it should show up in the game as a fullbody clothing for all categories.  If not, then there is something seriously out of whack with your install.

ahaggard

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2006, 01:02:07 pm »

Ahaggard: if you have nothing in your Downloads folder but MESH_ju-beos_merman.package and one recolour, then it should show up in the game as a fullbody clothing for all categories.  If not, then there is something seriously out of whack with your install.

That is not the name of the file that i downloaded where can i get that file?
MESH_ju-beos_merman-regular this is the name of the file i have
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:04:58 pm by ahaggard » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2006, 01:04:45 pm »

Download the RAR from the first post in this thread: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=2793

ok - by the numbers - delete the contents of your thumbnails folder :

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails

delete this file Groups.cache

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

move the entire contents of your SavedSims folder to a new location outside MyDocuments

restart the game - create a new family - look for the merman as a fullbody in the clothing categories of Adult.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: