Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 08:34:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Please post Bug Reports and Help Requests Here  (Read 143169 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:57:56 pm »

Please post Bug Reports and Help Requests Here

This way people might see a solution without having to ask about
previously solved issues.

DO NOT POST PHOTOS OR HELP REQUESTS OF ADULT-ORIENTED NATURE HERE!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
For general game and Windows help not related to the bodybuilder meshes,
see my thread: General Help for Windows and Games
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=6400

Please do not request ZIP files, there are free RAR file extractors available;
the reason Marvine & I use RAR files is based of the reality of hosting costs
for bandwidth, although we don't have to pay for this bandwidth, someone
does.  And that 12 KB difference x 1000 downloads adds up.

Make sure you unpack the RAR-files with:

PC-users:
WinRAR ($ PC: http://www.rarlabs.com/)
7zip (free PC: http://www.7-zip.org/)
AlZip (free PC: http://www.altools.net/)
TUGZip (free PC: http://www.tugzip.com/)
Filzip (free PC: http://www.filzip.com/)
IZArc (free PC: http://www.izarc.org/)
UnzipThemAll (free PC: http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=6)
ICEOWS  (free PC: http://www.iceows.com/)

Mac-users:
**If you are using Safari, to download a .RAR file you will have to hold down
**the control button (the one on the end, not the apple button) and then click
**the link and a menu will pop up. Select Download Linked File.
**Another option is to download and use Camino
Stuffit ($ Mac & PC: http://www.stuffit.com/)
**Some Mac Users report corrupt packages from using Stuffit
**check for an upgrade or use UnRarX
UnRarX (free Mac: http://unrarx.sourceforge.net/)

or some similar software, place the extracted files in your Downloads folder
(one of the following):

Windows XP
[/B][/U]

C:\Documents and Settings\*your-windows-username*\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

Windows 98, 98 SE, & Millennium Edition
[/B][/U]

C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

other possible locations are:

C:\The Sims 2\Downloads

C:\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Downloads

C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Downloads

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims 2\Downloads

C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Downloads

C:\Program Files\The Sims 2\Downloads

C:\Program Files\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Downloads

Although NightLife adds the ability for subfolders there seems to be
various problems with custom clothing/genetic meshes and their
recolours being in sub-folders, so I have to recommend you do not
place Marvine and my things in a subfolder.

here is a visual step by step guide for the process that should help make every thing clear to you.

Figure 1. (click to enlarge)

Figure 2. (click to enlarge)

Figure 3. (click to enlarge)

Figure 4. (click to enlarge)

Figure 5. (click to enlarge)

Figure 6. (click to enlarge)

Figure 7. (click to enlarge)

If you see a Maxis default clothing instead of a bodybuilder, then the
game is not recognising the mesh or the mesh is missing.  Please make
sure to install the meshes before asking for help, I make these meshes
and EVEN I forget to install them sometimes.  An archive of the meshes
is here, here and here for you to download missing meshes - most of
the meshes are in the mesh archive, but those with adult-oriented
content ARE NOT.

In some instances, the mesh is being over-ridden by a Maxis built-in mesh.

What is a Mesh? see this excellent explanation by Jase439 in this thread
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=6567

In layman's terms, a Sim's clothing consists of two parts: the texture (commonly
"skin" or "recolour") and a mesh.  Meshes are always required in some form or
another - some are already in the game as they were made by Maxis, these are
named "default" skins/meshes.  Those made by people not employed by Maxis are
"custom" skins/meshes.

This is not to be confused with a genetic skintone.  The same classification of
"default" and "custom" still applies here as well.

The custom clothing will show up in categories with a * on the corner of the
thumbnail preview.

To use the genetic skintones - in sections 1 of the Create-a-Sim,
create-a-student, or create-a-family (called different names in the various
versions of the game) you will see the skintone colours -- to get to Marvine's
and my skintones you need to click the * you will find there by the darkest
skintone colour visible without the *.

The genetic skintones by Marvine & myself usually require meshes; these are
generally included in my RARs with the skintones.

So if you want to use the clothing you see in my posts, you need to have the
Skin part and the Mesh part; the colour of the flesh is not important.  These
clothes will work on any colour of flesh default or custom.

Keep in mind some language versions do not allow a true nude state to occur,
see the following note.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO NON-ENGLISH LANGUAGE VERSION USERS:
Some localised language versions of The Sims 2 do not use the true
nude state at any point in the game because of the national laws of
various states and nations (e.g., Thailand); these skins will not work
correctly on all versions of the game.  They have been tested and
shown to work on US English, UK English, and French language versions
of the game.  If you cannot get them to work on your native language
version of The Sims 2, there is NOTHING I can do to make them work
for you.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:31:51 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Nec

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 05:11:27 pm »

I seem to have a problem with crashing with the bodybuilders when getting them jobs. If I start a new neighborhood, the first 4 can get jobs no problem. The 5th one crashes the game on accepting a job, via the computer or newspaper - no warning, no errors, nothing. Even if I delete one from the neighborhood, the same thing happens. It's like it permanently changes something about the neighborhood. I tested this in my hack-free game just to be sure. Now, if I change them into Maxis clothes they can get a job and then I have them plan outfit to have the bodybuilder clothing again. Since OFB, My sims who own businesses can hire them and it causes no problems, either. Do you have any idea why this happens? I did search for it and came up with nothing.

I have run the game with testing cheats to see if any errors pop up - none. I have deleted groups.cache - doesn't help.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 05:14:04 pm by Nec » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 06:15:50 pm »

Quote from: Nec
I seem to have a problem with crashing with the bodybuilders when getting them jobs. If I start a new neighbourhood, the first 4 can get jobs no problem. The 5th one crashes the game on accepting a job, via the computer or newspaper - no warning, no errors, nothing. Even if I delete one from the neighbourhood, the same thing happens. It's like it permanently changes something about the neighbourhood. I tested this in my hack-free game just to be sure. Now, if I change them into Maxis clothes they can get a job and then I have them plan outfit to have the bodybuilder clothing again. Since OFB, My sims who own businesses can hire them and it causes no problems, either. Do you have any idea why this happens? I did search for it and came up with nothing.

I have run the game with testing cheats to see if any errors pop up - none. I have deleted groups.cache - doesn't help.

I know that there are a great deal of problems with many people in using custom content after installing OFB.  I know that Maxis released a patch a few days ago to rectify these and many other problems and design flaws with the EP.

I know that the career is supposed to be recorded in the character file in a different section from the wardrobe and current clothing; the only thing I can guess is that something in the careers has changed significantly from the base installation and subsequent EPs prior to OFB.  If this is indeed the case, then Maxis has definitely moved in a direction against custom content.

The Unique Identifier number for the custom body meshes and clothing should not in any way compromise game play - as shown by the prior EPs and the fact that 4 bodybuilder outfits will work but the 5th one crashes - so all I can assume with my current knowledge is it is a bug of the EP.  That speaks to a bug rather than a matter of the meshes/skins.

I grant my exploration of the EP is not complete, but like many content creators I am increasingly frustrated by these bugs and subsequent patches that don't completely solve problems diagnosed in beta testing before release.

I will try to replicate your problem on my install, but if I can't I will have to come back without a fix Sad

I will get back to you on this as soon as I get an idea of how to fix it.  In the meantime, try the patch at the Maxis official site and see if this corrects your issue; if it does, please let me know.

Sorry for your problem, and I hope we can get it resolved for you.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:45:32 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
Nec

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 08:51:39 pm »

I have to take back what I said about them being able to be hired by other sims. They can be, but it crashes if you try to change the wage. If a bodybuilder hires another bodybuilder, it crashes immediately upon hire. I just found this out within the last hour.

I actually had this problem before OFB...before NL, too...perhaps even before I installed Uni, though I honestly can't remember. I have had two different PC configurations, as well, and the problem occurred with both. I can't quite figure it out, and I am confused as to why I am the only one who seems to have this problem. I have been trying to figure this out for months!

Is there any other information I can give that will help? It creates a mini dump file every time it crashes, but I have no idea how to decipher the information. If that or the error log will help, I will send or attach them. I have them for my hacked game and non-hacked game.

Thanks for responding so quickly! I came to edit my post and you had already replied :tongue5:

I am going to back everything up and start with no EPs and go from there...will let you know what happens

-------------------

What do you know - one of my Uni disks is corrupt. I installed the base game only and had no problems. Then I thought, I knew that it was happening before NL so I decided to install it first. No problems. Then after I had 10 bodybuilders with jobs, I installed OFB. Again, no problems. Looks like I need to replace my Uni expansion. Thanks for mentioning that the EP might be the issue, while it wasn't OFB it was an EP and I would not have considered that unless you had said something. At any rate, thanks for your help, and please feel free to delete these posts since this was a unique problem not associated with the downloads. You rock! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 12:25:20 am by Nec » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 12:46:28 am »

Quote from: Nec
I have to take back what I said about them being able to be hired by other sims. They can be, but it crashes if you try to change the wage. If a bodybuilder hires another bodybuilder, it crashes immediately upon hire. I just found this out within the last hour.

I actually had this problem before OFB...before NL, too...perhaps even before I installed Uni, though I honestly can't remember. I have had two different PC configurations, as well, and the problem occurred with both. I can't quite figure it out, and I am confused as to why I am the only one who seems to have this problem. I have been trying to figure this out for months!

Is there any other information I can give that will help? It creates a mini dump file every time it crashes, but I have no idea how to decipher the information. If that or the error log will help, I will send or attach them. I have them for my hacked game and non-hacked game.

Thanks for responding so quickly! I came to edit my post and you had already replied :tongue5:

I am going to back everything up and start with no EPs and go from there...will let you know what happens

Nec: did you carry over any hardware from the other configuration?  In particular, one of these three items: video card, RAM, or CPU?

Also try the game with only the bodybuilder items, it is possible that some other object or recolour, or even the Maxis downloads: The Urbz and Alienware desktop computer may be causing mischief.  I know I could not use either of those items without woe even before Marvine & I began work on the bodybuilder meshes.

You haven't mentioned using a Mac, so I assume you are on a PC or some sort.

After reading your last post, it is begining to sound more like you are describing a computational error either on the part of a bad RAM chip (system memory most likely) or the CPU.  I have had many that were not perfect, and I have begun to think they do almost not quality control testing in manufacturing these days.

Regardless, I would recommend running a free stand-alone memory diagnostic: memtest86+ available here: http://www.memtest.org/.  Documentation and instructions are available on that site.  This will eliminate a bad RAM DIMM / RIMM as the source of the woe.

PCMagazine has a free CPU Stability Test programme available here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7146,00.asp.  I also recommend running this to eliminate the CPU as the source of your problems.

TestVideoRAM is a free utility to check the video RAM of nVidia cards, ger it here: http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_memory.html in the RAM section.

VAR Memory Benchmark is a simple memory benchmark program designed to benchmark AGP and video memory write speeds. This program requires the NVIDIA GL_NV_vertex_array_range extension, which it uses to allocate AGP and video memory. It will only work with video cards that include this extension. Right now, that means it will only work with GeForce series video cards. Get it here: http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_memory.html in the VIDEO section.

Video Card Stability Test heavily loads your GPU, making it possible to recognize any stability problems. The program also includes a simple 3D benchmark and a 3D screensaver. Video Card Stability Test supports Pixel and Vertex Shaders. Get it here: http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_memory.html in the VIDEO section.

I don't know of any testing software specifically for the ATI cards and others.

These tests will elimate the hardware as a potential source of the problem, not necessarily fix anything, but make for a narrower search.

Nec

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 12:57:52 pm »

Eh, I was wrong, it just crashed again...but that is ok. I got a new Uni EP and the same thing happens, but not with just the other two EPs. Thanks for the links, they will be very helpful. I just got a new processor - I had problems with my old one and AMD RMA'd it for me - it is in good shape. I just rebuilt my entire system, actually. New motherboard, new hard drive, and new memory. It is all set up correctly, and runs everything else really well. I am using the same video card, Nvidia fx5500 256MB, and I have 1.25gigs of RAM. I made sure all attached devices were compatible with the motherboard, have the latest drivers (Nvidia just realeased new ones on the 17th), BIOS is set up correctly...I am not overclocking anything, either. So I have no clue. I will try to figure it out, and I will let you know if I do. In the meantime, I will just change their clothes when they apply for jobs. Thanks again for your help!
Ailias

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 04:59:19 am »

I seem to have a problem with crashing with the bodybuilders when getting them jobs.
===
Me too. I use Simpe to get some fix 4 this bug, (preOFB issue)

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 06:31:32 am »

Quote from: Ailias
I seem to have a problem with crashing with the bodybuilders when getting them jobs.
===
Me too. I use Simpe to get some fix 4 this bug, (preOFB issue)

Ailias, I am sorry to hear of this; could you explain how you used SimPE to do this?  Did you assign them jobs with SimPE?

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 02:08:55 pm »

The mesh you most likely need is in this thread: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=3503

blondecrystal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 05:21:23 pm »

OK I Seem to be having a little problem i put the new improved suits and mesh in the downloads folder, But they look the same the improved neck is not showing.
Tazzianna
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 09:35:28 pm »

I am sorry if anyone thinks this is dumb to type up but the truth is I've spent a large portion of time reading threads hoping to find an answer and I'm still lost. Please help...

I'd like to download a Body Builder sim skin and new clothing but I do not want any that are anitomically correct. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 11:40:49 pm »

Quote from: Tazzianna
I am sorry if anyone thinks this is dumb to type up but the truth is I've spent a large portion of time reading threads hoping to find an answer and I'm still lost. Please help...

I'd like to download a Body Builder sim skin and new clothing but I do not want any that are anitomically correct. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Then you want to use the skintones here:

http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=2277 (Adult Males only)

OR

http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=2320 (Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder Males)

Neither of these have the weenie bits

As far as clothing, steer clear of the Adult's section of the forums and you will be okay.

Quote from: blondecrystal
OK I Seem to be having a little problem i put the new improved suits and mesh in the downloads folder, But they look the same the improved neck is not showing.

Check to make sure that you do not have two copies of the mesh in your downloads folder (one with .package.package for instance -- or -- one in a subfolder)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:47:36 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

blondecrystal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 06:49:04 am »

Hi Beosboxboy i took everything out my downloads folder and just put in the new improved bodybuider suits, I went to the CAS Screen but still no improvment to the neck.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 11:33:30 am »

Quote from: blondecrystal
Hi Beosboxboy i took everything out my downloads folder and just put in the new improved bodybuider suits, I went to the CAS Screen but still no improvment to the neck.

Here is the suit mesh only from my hard drive - this has the improved neck - please try it and let me know if this corrects the problem

* MESH_ju-beos-suit_MESHONLY.rar (94.63 KB - downloaded 601 times.)

Ailias

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 12:46:39 pm »

could you explain how you used SimPE to do this? Did you assign them jobs with SimPE?
======
Yes! It works - only Maxis job can be assigned unfortunately.
 iwonder if create nonmuscle man - then assign job after settle him down - then put muscles on him - its a solution or not? Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: