Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 10:32:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isnt there a petition on this site to stop secu-rom?  (Read 2780 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Jazza0

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2007, 07:52:21 am »

Yes i know that petition-online.com exists but if you have this everywhere especially on respected websites like this that all community go to?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:55:24 am by Jazza0 » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:43:59 pm »

contrary to general opinion, petitions have no particular influence on corporations.  petitions fall under a category of feel good actvity, not much unlike placing a "Free Tibet" bumper-sticker on your car: in the case of the bumper-sticker, these are usually printed by some small printer outfit and no money is donated to the "cause" - nor does a bumper-sticker on an automobile in Fresno, California inform the People's Republic of China of any particular threat or pressure to depart the premises of Tibet.  Really, writing your congressional representatives will achieve vastly more to free Tibet.

Without fail, corporations do what is in the best interests of their profit margin, in fact, they are required to do so by law to protect the interests of investors.  The only means you as a consumer have of applying real pressure on any corporation falls under two equally effective columns: boycott and civil suit.  There is a third column, investing enough money in the corporation to take control of it or out-right purchase of the corporation, but I suspect not many billionaires in the Sims community are willing to do this sort of thing.

an on-line petition is not even legally a construct, no matter what you may read else where.  a petition is legally defined in the basic law (i.e., constituton) of most free nations as being made of paper and real made-with-a-pen-and-ink signatures and only has legal "meat" as a means of initiating legislation and impeachment proceedures.  All other forms of "petition" are spurious and only serve to inform the managers of such sites at petition-online.com of marketing information which they then package as a database and sell to other businesses... so really all you are doing is making petition-online.com some money and wasting your time.

As with freeing Tibet of the Red Chinese menace, writing a letter -- in this case to EA's shareholders -- will probably do more than any amount of on-line hand-wringing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 12:03:24 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Jazza0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:58:51 am »

Yeah i get you but if all fans are against it then according to the petition online, people said that they will not purchase another game if it has securom inside it.. They would have no choice to would they? i mean their profit will decrease
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:19:50 am »

Quote from: Jazza0;1002105
Yeah i get you but if all fans are against it then according to the petition online, people said that they will not purchase another game if it has securom inside it.. They would have no choice to would they? i mean their profit will decrease

Might sound overly perssimistic, but people are basically stupid. Do you really think, computer kiddy from Onehorsetown Nebraska knows or cares about securom unless the media makes a very big fuzz about it? Like some years ago with the sony CD scandal. But that was humming a very different tune, since most everyone buys CDs, but only a minority plays computer games. Sony had to row back because of that, but that won't happen - petition or not - with EA.

They might sell you some hot air from their PR department, but things won't change, since only a minority of a minority will stick to the threat of not buying any other game with securom. Like beosboxboy said: You shouldn't consider corporations as an entity with whom you can converse in some manner. You, as the individual buyer, aren't of any interest to them. Your anger won't even blow a hole in their coffee budget. The only thing, that gets the big suits off of their asses is the mass media.
babyblue1387

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:29:43 am »

Quote from: Jazza0;1002105

I really have to agree with Beos. I've noticed a lot of people saying that they won't be buying future expansions, but I bet a lot of them will still have it (through "other" means). Even to support that, someone will have to buy the game. There are still a lot of people on the BBS who are believing what EAxis tells them. They won't think SecuRom is a problem. A lot of them haven't noticed problems with their computer, or were already having problems and aren't sure if it's SecuRom that's causing it or not. Besides, I'm sure, for a lot of people, the pros outweigh the cons.

And yeah, online petitions accomplish nothing. Anything happen with that paysite petition yet?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: