Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 10:20:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Packaging in-game sims now that we can't use simpe?  (Read 3973 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Xylune

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:41 pm »

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked elsewhere...I searched but found nothing.  Simpe doesn't work with BV and I'd like to package a sim of mine that was born in game.  Since I haven't seen any word on when simpe will be updated, I don't know how long it will be before I can use the extraction method.  I'm kind of afraid to play the sim in question because I don't want anything to happen to him before I can make a copy, so I'm trying to work out how to do it without the use of simpe.

I'm thinking of packaging the lot that he's in and using the clean installer to try and install ONLY the sim, but I've never tried that and don't know if it will work.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

Visit my site for original fantasy fiction (Warning: my stories include male/male romance)
Beyond the Ninth Wave
Xylune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:37 pm »

I tried my idea and it didn't seem to work.  Can anyone think of another way to package a sim born in the game without SimPE?  I've googled until I couldn't google anymore but the only results my searches have given me are tutorials on SimPE.

*sigh* I'm not one to rush creators but I really wish we could get an eta on the BV version of SimPE.  I didn't fully appreciate how much I used the features for sims until now.

Visit my site for original fantasy fiction (Warning: my stories include male/male romance)
Beyond the Ninth Wave
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:41:19 pm »

I am sorry, as far as I know there is no other program permitting to do this other than SimPE.
miros1

In Miros We Trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:08:53 pm »

An outdated SimPE shouldn't harm your game as long as you don't "commit and save."  

Since you're just saving the exported Sim for BodyShop to load up, it should work ok.

Rose/Miros
Webmaster of the Wooden Simolean
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 01:36:36 am »

Miros?
Do you even have BV?
Because the moment your choose your neighboorhood you get hit with about 50 till 80 errors.
And you need to open your hood to locate the sim and or write down his ID or character number or even save him for bs.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 01:41:26 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
d1340cc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 06:52:03 pm »

Since SimPE is not updated is there anyway using the sims game to replace the default clothes (private school) with a custom skin?
jaccirocker
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

There's some program I think it's about 20.00 and it's like a windows version of SimPe, I've never tried but it looked interesting. Let me track down link.

http://www.sims2programs.com

and I don't know if DataGen is still around, I like SimPe better so I never messed with it.

The last option is to go the SimPe website forums and get permission to join QA forum and there you can download the Beta version of The BV SimPe. The draw back with this one is that permission can take a while, they say a week but for me it was more like 3.
Franky

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 12:38:49 am »

You can try the QA version of SimPE. Just go get it at simPE's official site.

Note, in order to access the QA (quality assurance) version of SimPE, you must submit a request to gain QA access. You will also need to be registered on the forums at SimPE's official site. It usually takes about 24 hours for approval after requesting to join QA. Also, the QA version is in testing so it may or may not work well in your PC. It also wouldn't hurt to read what others have written in the QA forum about the latest QA release.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 12:43:52 am by Franky » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 03:10:32 am »

OK, I have been thinking about this, and I am largely convinced this is no longer such a great idea.

What with all the new dooflingletrons and whazzits they have added to the potential components of an in-game Sim, I live in dread of the all but guaranteed crashes that will come from using a Sim that is packed with weird code in the property sets and material definitions which earlier versions of game simply do not have and will in all likelihood not understand or support.

I really don't like the thought of having to deal with 100s more help requests over this sort of bug.  The idea of sharing an in-game Sim has increasingly lost its sparkle.  People package there Sims with EP-content and you get a variety of bugs when these are used in versions of the game missing that particular EP.  Sometimes it is a minor nuisance, other times you have a Sim with no body at all and I have no idea how to make the game give the Sim a body that the "average user" will understand.

Right now, I have two Sims in my game that have no hair and no body, just a face floating in the air.  These monkeys were made with BV Body Shop, so I can't even begin to guess what is wrong with them.  They look normal enough in SimPE, but obviously something vital is missing.

So I can no longer recommend that you share in-game Sims if you have BV and will be making a recommendation to Kathy & Eric that we not allow them to be posted until it can be proved they won't cause a flood of help requests.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 01:32:22 pm »

Yakov, this is why anyone sharing sims with a grain of common sense specifies which EPs the sims will need. I'm trying to package a sim that came way, way before BV, thus doesn't wear any jewellery, and am having the same problem. I might try using the AnyGameStarter - I think/hope that'll let you use SimPE and BS if you change the location of My Documents to point to the AnyGame folder. Here's hoping *crosses fingers*

PS: Some contests require sim sharing Tongue

ETA: No go. Bugger >_< Well, it might if I still had my Seasons back-up, but I didn't think I'd need it any more and I needed to free up space... Sad That and might's the operative word :?

ETA Again: Hey guys! Look what I found at MATY! Cheesy Huge thanks to Paleoanth for posting the link!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 04:14:30 pm by Sadie79 » Logged

No requests please
Xylune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 04:46:07 am »

I agree Beos, but I'm not trying to share the sim in question.  I was just trying to find a way to save him so that I have a backup version for my own use, because I really like him.  If I were to share him it would be after SimPE was updated and again useable to extract sims.  Typically to share an in-game sim, I extract with SimPE, clone him, delete the extracted version and then package him.  I can't do that even for my own use right now, though.  

Looks like Sadie might have found a solution for me, hooray!  Thank you, I'll backup my neighborhoods and try it out.

Beyond the Ninth Wave
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:08 am »

Thanks so much Sadie! I have sims I want to save for a re-install.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 11:45:48 am »

Sadie, I agree, but grains of common sense seem in rare supply where this game is concerned >_<

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »

@Yakov: ... Sadly I'm forced to agree Sad Still, some people mention EPs at least, I have seen it done before so all hope isn't lost yet Wink

@Everyone else: You're welcome Smiley Just remember, don't try any advanced stuff with it yet. For extracting sims though it works great, I'm happy to say Cheesy

No requests please
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: