Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 10:25:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom lots causing game crash?  (Read 1591 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
summer_wine

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2007, 06:04:10 am »

I've had four game crashes in about two months. It's really not a good time to have my game crashing especially when i have contests to do.

the first crash was something i can't even explain. i didn't know what was wrong with my game. i tried everything and finally i resorted to re-installing my game. i backed up my saved sims, downloads and neighborhood folders.

the second crash was a bad mesh which i found after 12 hours of taking things out, starting the game, replacing things, re-starting, etc.

the third and fourth though came after i have downloaded some custom lots. now i got lots from different creators and only with the ones compatible with my EPs. after i delete those lots, my game works again. so my question is this...

did re-installing my game somehow affect the way my game handles custom lots?

i have numenor's scriptorium, does this mean i have to edit the text file or whatever every time i download custom lots with their stairs, fireplace, etc?

i'm really confused because i was able to download lots before i re-installed my game. i'm just wondering if anyone can help me out.

thanks!

The Price of Redemption ~My Sim Story! Check it out!
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:29:16 am »

Summer Wine, Sims2Pack Clean Installer is a bit of a menace insomuch as it allows you to install lots made with EPs you don't have installed - these will almost always cause a catastrophic issue of some sort.

Another defect of the whole lot-sharing community is lot-makers too often include all manner of custom modular stairs, custom fireplaces, etc without making any real effort to inform us of the steps we need to take to avoid the dangers of installing a lot with this sort of thing.

Numenor's scriptorum is a dandy little bit of software - but it doesn't automatically create the files you need for the various custom content.  The lot-maker should include all the necessary scriptorum files or at the very least list the place where you can locate the information to prevent this sort of bung-up.

My rule of thumb whenever I install any downloaded lot is I install ONLY the lot segment, this way I avoid most crashes... most, I don't have Pets or BV or any of the stuff packs installed, so I still get a few that crash my game, but I have avoided all that lately by refusing to download anything unless it is by an artist I know and trust to tell me everything I need to know.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:47:21 am »

will it help if i just delete the scriptorium?

and which is "just the logsegment" part? i noticed i kept getting package files with just a bunch of numbers as file names and 1kb size.

thanks for replying, Mr. Answer Cheesy

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:23:29 am »

The "LotSegmentForUpload" is the actual house part of the Sims2Pack

All of the files with name made of junk numbers & letters are everything else... in my experience, 200 mail-box recolours >_<

You can select the physical house with no custom content by clicking the little house icon before you install anything.

* lotSegment.gif (18.55 KB, 488x497 - viewed 191 times.)

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 11:24:02 am »

OMG i will try that right now!

thank you ever so much!

ETA:

it still crashed. Sad i'm going to delete scriptorium and try again
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 01:18:18 am by summer_wine » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: