Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 07:10:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I found a way to connect the three neighborhoods together. (Serious Thread)  (Read 20906 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
wyrmking

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2006, 07:14:34 pm »

I'm a regular user at http://www.gaysimsclub2.net/ and the Admin, Scotty, figured I should share my findings with other Sims 2 Community and not just them.

If you're a member of gaysimsclub2, here's the original thread. http://www.gaysimsclub2.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=2204&st=0

Now here's a re-post of that thread:

Not sure if anyone has done this before, or at all. Or in a different way. Anyway whatever.

Anyway, yes I have managed to connect all three default neighborhoods out of sheer boredom. Families/Households can now travel freely between Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville.

Special note about the pictures. I dunno why some of the pics shrunk when I uploaded them on photobucket. But I have a bigger 640x480 pics that you can clearly see things. If you want to see them PM me so I can email them or something. Or contact me at wyrmking@aol.com.

As you can see, it still looks like three separate neighborhoods. But don't be fooled. Pleasantview is actually the main neighborhood, while the other two is just associated with it.

Here's sample screenshots:

I had one of the students in Sim State University, call up a taxi, and the menu pops up to which lot I would go. As you can see there are options to go to not just Pleasantview, Downtown, and Sim State, but also Strangetown and Veronaville. I remind you, PM me so I can show you a bigger version of those pics. I dunno why they shrunk.

A picture of Kent Capp, member of the Capp family from Veronaville. I moved him to Strangetown (not by packaging a lot, that would cause him to loose his ties with his family)

You see he still has his family connections.

And other families from Veronaville, I have not given them a home yet. But I'm just showing you that they appear in Strangetown's family bin (and they show up in Pleasantview's and Veronaville's).

Don Lothario calling Erin Singles from Strangetown. When I was experimenting by having Erin go to Pleasantview's community lot, they met. I was gonna invite her over but I forgot that Erin does not have a phone yet in her new house.

Now these are my favorite screenshots. I moved in Bella from Strangetown with Loner (forgot his name). And then I resurrected Bella from Pleasantview by using SimPE. And now they all live together!

They look slightly different, not too much. Pleasantview Bella is on the left.

Now, as you all know, Strangetown Bella has no family tree or any connection to anyone from Pleasantview.

Now, Pleasantview Bella does.

Anyway, I haven't played much with it. So I don't have a lot of screenshots. I'll be taking more soon. I'm still trying to see if there are any bugs or whatever. The Summerdream household did get a little buggy in the beginning, the whole house got flooded with that terrain water. It was weird, but it's all fixed now.

So if anybody wants to know how I did, just say so.
wyrmking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 07:15:42 pm »

A re-post of the instruction:

How to connect your neighborhoods.

By Laurence aka Wyrm King

This is pretty simple, it might be a little time consuming, depending on the size of your neighborhoods and how many neighborhoods you're going to connect together.

Before we start. BACK UP YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD FOLDER. Just in case.

Note that Pleasantview and Strangetown is not associated with any Downtown or University lots yet. We'll get to that later. Just read on ahead for now.

Also note that I only have University and Nightlife.

1.) Pick which neighborhood will be the primary neighborhood. I suggest you pick the one you play most or the one with the most families you play at. I used Pleasantview is my primary neighborhood. Its neighborhood number is N001.

2.) Now, I'm gonna connect Pleasantview with Strangetown. Take screenshots of the neighborhood view of Strangetown. Make sure you get every angle and every house. You'll need to know where everything is for later. Also get a pen and paper, mark down which vacant lots go where, this is just for authenticity when putting everything together.

3.) Now using either the Tombstone of L and D or the Advanced Teleporter Painting from http://www.simlogical.com/ start putting families together in houses. I suggest the Advanced Teleporter Painting, the people you will summon would be grouped by Households so they're easier to find, but it has to be the advanced version, it has an option to move in people that you've summoned, and it also has the option to clear out the lot of all non-residents. Just put together, in one house, the people you don't want to lose touch with each other.

I don't care much about relationships between friends, because that can be fixed later, but I suggest you group together people that are related through blood or marriage so that their family trees remain intact. So look at various family trees and see whom is related to whom. And group all the families together. Erin Singles is sister to the Beaker Guy, Nervous Subject is adopted by Olive Specter, etc. etc. So group them accordingly. And with the Tombstone of L and D or the Advanced Teleporter they let you add more than eight people per household.

Or, group every family plus their friends together in one house if you absolutely must. Don't forget Strangetown Bella if you want to keep her. If not, you can just resurrect Pleasantview Bella, and replace Strangetown Bella, plus she has the family ties anyway.

4.) Now that everything is grouped. Start putting the houses in the house bin. Occupied, Community, and Unoccupied Lots. But before you do this make sure you have the screenshots and notes about where everything goes when you put everything back in its place. Empty Lots cannot be put in the Housebin, so just take a note on its size, and what type of lot it is and the lot name you gave it. Now once you're done putting every lot in the housebin, exit the game.

5.) Now open up C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods. CUT and paste Strangetown's folder (N002) from your neighborhood folder, to your desktop for backup. Copy and paste the following files from the N002 folder into Pleasantview's folder (N001) N002_Neighborhood.png, N002_Neighborhood.package, and N002_Neighborhood.reia if you like the moving pictures on the Neighborhood chooser.

Now copy and paste N002's Storyline folder to N001's Storyline folder. Let it overwrite. The pictures and stories will appear in their respective neighborhoods.

6.) Now start your game. Go into Strangetown and put everybody back in their places using the notes and screenshots you've taken to help you out. Then go into any of the lots you've put back. I suggest the one with the biggest grouping first. When you go in, it might take a while to load because the game is recreating the character files and such. Now, you can now move out some people in the households and put back the families into their respective households.

7.) Now that your neighborhood is almost back to normal, try and call up transportation or use an automobile to go to a community lot to make sure that both Pleasantview and Strangetown community lots are available. Now if it works, then it's a success.

8.) Now, if Strangetown happens to be associated with a Downtown or University lot. Just do the same thing for those sub-neighborhoods what you did for Strangetown. Take screenshots and take notes. Group households accordingly, and put them in the House Bin. If your Young Adult is related to anyone in the main Neighborhood or Downtown, then put the Young Adult in that group. Then put every lot in the housebin including communities and empty lots. Exit your game when done. It's probably best that you should do this part in the beginning while you're grouping your main neighborhood.

9.) Now go into Strangetown's N002 folder. And copy and paste N002_University001.package, N002_University001.png, N002_Downtown001.pacakge and N002_Downtown001.png to Pleasantview's N001 folder. Rename these files N001_University001.package, N001_University001.png, N001_Downtown001.pacakge and N001_Downtown001.png. If Pleasantview has those files already then rename the files  N001_University002.package, N001_University002.png, N001_Downtown002.pacakge and N001_Downtown002.png. Or depending on how many university and downtown lots is associated with Pleasantview, then just rename them accordingly.

10.) Now start your game, and using the notes and pictures you've taken. Put everything back in their places. Now test it out if you can access every community lot from Downtown or University.

My neighborhood folder looks like this after I've connected all three neighborhoods, completely associated with Downtown and all three Universities. Yours should look similar.

I know the instruction is not too well, but I will try to help out as much as I can if you have any questions or if something's not working.

So far the only downside I see is that all the townies seem to be from Pleasantview. I'm not sure of if Strangetown townies get recreated during the process.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:40:39 pm by wyrmking » Logged
wyrmking

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 07:16:50 pm »

I mostly spend my time on MTS2 or gaysimsclub2. You can send me some PM if you have any question.
Willow's Tara

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:15:34 pm »

This sounds so complicated, and it probably shouldn't.
But I would love to assoicate the three neighbourhoods, I wanna move Oliva and Cordelia Capp/Monty to Pleasantvile but I don't wanna break the Capp/Monty family ties.

I have already ruined the Curious/Singles/Smiths family (Specter family got saved thought, they are still related.)
Plus I have way more families, like the resurrection of Monty/Capps etc
wyrmking

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:32:14 pm »

Not very complicating. Just copy and pasting and saving families the right way.
SimmieCal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:07:50 am »

And what does this do to the character files?  How many character files were in each hood prior to doing this and how many after? Was there an explosion of unlinked character files?

Considering moving occupied lots into the sim bin is known to create all kinds of problems, I don't know if it's such a good idea to be advocating this without stronger warinings. How long have you played a neighborhood in this condition? I think this wouldn't be so good for the long term health of the hood.

It's inventive thinking and thanks for sharing, but I really think you need to advocate more caution to people and explain what the risks are to their hood when they try this. I certainly wouldn't do this with any hood that I didn't want to loose.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:29:18 pm by SimmieCal » Logged
Scotty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 04:37:58 pm »

This is why he said to back up your neighborhoods BEFORE attempting this. That way, if you mess it all up, you can always delete it all and use your backup. Smiley

For discussions and downloads, come to The Gay Sims Club 2

We are MORE than just a forum!
wyrmking

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 04:40:09 pm »

This is the closest thing I can get the neighborhoods to connect.

I'm still experimenting with it. So far I haven't had any problems yet except the Summerdream household being bugged out at the beginning, it's not anymore.

I've only been playing with it for a few days. But I guess I should put a disclaimer.
SimmieCal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 03:13:55 pm »

Quote from: wyrmking

I'm still experimenting with it. So far I haven't had any problems yet except the Summerdream household being bugged out at the beginning, it's not anymore.

I've only been playing with it for a few days. But I guess I should put a disclaimer.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's a real neat idea and I know a lot of people would like to have their sims interact with the sims in the other hood. I've also read a lot (though I don't understand all of it) that moving populated lots into the sim bin and having sims cross neighborhoods can cause a lot of wiggy things to happen. I just think people need to be aware that there are potential problems - like unlinked character files - that could occur, or that they should watch out for. I'm sure there will be many adventuresome people that will still try your method out, even with a disclaimer.
Sleepycat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:49:55 am »

I think the only safe way you could do this is to package the occupied Lots to files(make a list of all the sims that are actually on the Lot for each occupied Lot), then delete all the characters in strangetown and verona, then install the occupied Lots using clean installer (to remove all the characters that are not actually on the Lot.

Otherwise you will end up with a ton of unlinked character files which is bad...

I'm a little tempted to try this with a couple of new custom hoods that have no character files/sims to worry about, link them up and then create my new sims for each hood.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble/time though...hmmm do the hoods now actually share a University & Downtown? or do they still have to have their own?  If I do this would I be able to send sims from all 3 hoods to the same Uni, where students from all 3 hoods can share a dorm and do stuff together?  now That would be cool and would certainly make it worth doing!!

Crazy Town - home of my Sim stories & SC4 Terrains, Sims, hairy Skintones and some clothes & stuff.
Simbology
bleubeari

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 03:11:58 pm »

ok, I gave it a try. So far, I've had only 2 problems. I started with clean unplayed neighborhoods in all 3 . Somehow, Desdemona Capp dissappeared. She still shows up in the family memories and trees, but I can't summon her with the painting or insiminator. She still shows in SimPe. The only other thing is that I can't have a teen move to college by calling on the phone (unless they're in Pleasantville)This is no big deal though because i can still send them with the "send sims to college" button. I'm gonna play it out for a while and see what happens. I can always replace if it gets too buggy.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »

Ok - with all due respect to everyone involved.

There were some serious considerations that went into the way Maxis backed off the one giant neighbourhood idea; not the least of them being the catastrophic results in memories (remember the too many memories bug?) and family relations.

I am mindful of what the character said in Jurrasic Park: "Just because you can do a thing is no good reason to do it."

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Núkumnëhtar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 09:40:45 pm »

Quote from: wyrmking;78096

How would I go about to get the Summerdream household to stop being bugged?
Dandello

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 08:55:12 am »

I've always wanted all my hoods connected, but think I'll pass on this. I do like the idea though and for people who get it to work I'm envious! I hope in Sims3 the game will come with this idea working.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:14:28 pm »

Is there honestly a Sims 3 in the works? *starts scheming on how to get it for her birthday when it does.*

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: