Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 10:30:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with my Laptop  (Read 1268 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SolidGoldFunk
Site Santa!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:27:27 am »

Okay, I'm having a problem with my laptop. It's a sager laptop and I wanted to send it back to the company to have it fixed but I don't have enough time left where I am to have it shipped back to me and I cannot call the states because my phone bill will not allow it so I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me.

If this is not the right forum, will one of the admin or mods be kind enough to move it for me?Smiley

Well, I had my game open yesterday to take pictures for a contest and when I got up to do something I came back and tried to get on insim. I use an external mouse so I have that scroll roller thing in the middle of it. I started using it to scroll and the words started getting bigger. Next thing I know, the camera mode in my game didn't work and I couldn't type anything. At first I thought I activated Sticky Keys by mistake but when I turned it off my computer still wouldn't let me type. I tried restoring my system to like a week ago to see if that would help. It worked for a minute but then it started acting crazy again. When I hit the backspace key it tries to type something, a rectangle shows up. The only way I can log into my computer is if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the login page.

Well, that's pretty much my problem. If anyone has any idea what the problem is please help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:28:03 am »

SolidGoldFunk - it sounds like you have data corruption in the Windows system folders or your master controller chip on the laptop is going buggy.

Have you tried using an extrernal mouse and keyboard?  I have had to resort to this on an ailing laptop from time to time.  Even had to go so far as to use an external monitor a few times.

Laptops are ill-starred beasts on the best of days, a menace to your sanity on the worst.  Sager notebooks are generally regarded as free from most of the most common bugs, a little lack-lustre in batteries, but otherwise top-notch goods.  Have you used their web tech support form?  this is generally preferable since their telephone support is usually slow and results in playing "phone tag".  You mention that you don't have enough time left in your current situation, I assume you are moving over-seas, and this presents its own range of difficulties in shipping.  In all -- it doesn't look good for you in the "back to the factory" arena because between the risk of damage/loss in shipping a laptop over-seas and the likelihood of having to pay some outrageous duty tax, it looks like a lose-lose to me.

I think, you will probably need to do a complete re-install; not a restore.  That will mean getting CDs with the right version of Windows and having a copy of all the necessary drivers burned to disk.  This won't necessarily make it hale and whole, but will inform you if it is more than just a operating system issue.

Keep in mind, laptops are disposable computers.  They are not and never have been equal to their desk-trapped brothers.  depending on how many hours you have used your laptop, you may very well have exceded its hours-of-expected-use life-expectancy, gamers almost invariably do.

If you don't have the CDs, then your best bet is to contact Sager via their email addess for these matters: websupport@sagernotebook.com

Explain exactly your situation, your future address, and ask them if they have a reliable means to ship these materials to your new (over-seas) address.  It may well mean breaking no few number of US laws to get it shipped to you, but far fewer than would be broken sending a sophisticate piece of eletronic equipment (which they would probably destroy using an EMR bomb detector on anyway).

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
SolidGoldFunk
Site Santa!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:50:26 am »

Thanks Beosboxboy:)

I have tried using an external keyboard and it acts just as the keyboard on the laptop. I have used my laptop for MANY hours so you may be right. I tried their online support but I won't get it back in time. I'm supposed to be leaving the country on December 1st and I have to have my mail forwarded to Texas in about 2 weeks, where I will be moving which means that I won't get my laptop back until May of next year. So, it looks like I'm "assed out" for lack of a better term. I will try reinstalling Windows like you suggested. Once again, thank you for the help.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: